Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #1  

Default Back on Atkins after trying other diets and failing

Im Mee,

At 23 years old I weighed 190 pounds....I was up and down from childhood..I did the Atkins diet at 25.. I pretty much left all bread and starches out of my diet and sweets..lost the weight ..went downt to 135...and for 20 years off kept the weight off.....every time I put breads back in my diet Id climb up the weight scale again...I was up to 155 and tried Weight Watchers I went down to 133 pounds..again ..but I did it Atkins Style pretty much..I got most of my points using low protein..well I forgot in time I am really allergic to breads etc..and started eating like I am normal..started eating pasta again..then bread..the bagels..my problem is the more I eat the more I want..and sweets..forget it..I just crave them all when I eat carbs....well I just went back on Atkins out of desperation..I stated on Atkins 1 and half weeks ago at 180 pounds..see I was way up there...and with a thyroid .. (Hypothyroidism-Low) and thought this was my only problem..for the past 2 years I have been on thyroid medication..I thought this is why I couldtn lose weight..well I just couldnt lose and just kept climbing..now in just 1 and half weeks I've lost 8 pounds on Atkins and with out being hungary and feeling great..I had forgotton...I hope I made sence..Everyone has always told me I have such a beautiful face..I want to be thin again..I got so that I didnt want to go out anymore in public..always keeping my coat on..to hide the fat..and hating to have my picture taken...because I just look so diferant with weight on..Atkins is the only kiet that ever worked for me.[/
Old 01-27-2004, 09:12 AM   #2  

Hi Mee!! Welcome back to Atkins! I'm sure you'll do great again this time. You already have a great loss too. Stick around here for support and a ton of information. I'm pretty new here, but everyone is wonderful so far! I'm sure you have a beautiful face like you've been told, but your also beautiful inside! Don't try and hide yourself, or your fat! Whether you way 50 pounds more or 50 pounds less doesn't change the person that you are inside! Just be yourself and enjoy watching the weight leave. You'll do wonderful!
Old 01-27-2004, 09:16 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutski
Hi Mee!! Welcome back to Atkins! I'm sure you'll do great again this time. You already have a great loss too. Stick around here for support and a ton of information. I'm pretty new here, but everyone is wonderful so far! I'm sure you have a beautiful face like you've been told, but your also beautiful inside! Don't try and hide yourself, or your fat! Whether you way 50 pounds more or 50 pounds less doesn't change the person that you are inside! Just be yourself and enjoy watching the weight leave. You'll do wonderful!
Thank you so much for your response...Ill be back for sure..I think support is important..and feed back.

Mee
Old 01-27-2004, 11:38 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Welcome Mee,

Don't kick yourself to hard, the important thing is you found something that works and works well I can see Congratulations !!!!

Nice to have you with us........hope you'll chat w/us on the daily thread.

Hugs, Leenie
Old 01-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Mee201,

My dear friend Leenie, just emailed me and told me to come read your post bec it reminded her so much of me and my struggles. I also have a low thyroid and am taking Armour Thyroid.

I could cry a river of tears and tell you my life story, but basically no matter what I do I CANNOT LOSE WEIGHT! It is so discouarging at times. I watch my calories, watch the bad cards, drink my water, exercise and nothing...no weightloss. I mean I am healthy but overweight. I am 5' 3 1/2" and 202 (or 205) lbs depending what day of the week I get on the scales.

Leenie (and others) have been encouraging me to do Atkins, but when I did it last year, I did not lose anything within the first 2 weeks on induction and it was so hard, that I basically decided to follow a diet closer to Sugarbusters or Southbeach, where I can have wheat bread and wheat pasta, whole grains and fruits, and sweet potatoes.

I'm wondering tho, when you were talking about being allergic to bread...did you ever eat the wheat bread products or was it always the white products? I'm wondering if you found the same problems eating wheat bread? If so, I may really need to go ahead and just cut out the wheat products too and give it a go!

And mostly Mee201, CONGRATS ON THE 8 LB WEIGHT LOSS THE FIRST WEEK!!!!! I would have a blooming heart attack if I lost 8 lbs in 3 months, much less a week!!!! CONGRATS!

take care,
Cathy
Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #6  

It's me again.... just wanted to clarify exactly what I'm asking Mee201...

About being allergic to bread...will you lose weight after induction, when you add in some wheat bread? or can you not have it at all?

thanks,
Cathy
Old 01-27-2004, 01:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Mee, welcome to the board. Hope you stay and join us for some encouragement and congratulations on coming back to the way of eating that works for you. Sometimes the hardest things to do are the ones we know we should have done years ago, but no regrets, you're here and wiser .

As for the bread allergy thing, I don't have an allergy but I now break out if I eat carbs, my body knows I shouldn't eat it . I haven't drank milk in about 6 years and the last time I had it I threw up, sometimes the body forgets what to do with sometime when it hasn't had it in a long time. The small intestine regenerates itself with cells that have never seen a food type and can no longer digest it. But then again I don't drink dog milk so why would I drink cow milk? Ok all done (the milk producers don't send me a christmas card anyway )

Good Luck Mee! But with 8 pounds gone I doubt you'll need any
Tummy
Old 01-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #8  
Movin' and Losin'

Welcome, Mee! Glad you're back on Atkins! Congrats on the 8 pounds -- that's fantastic! Looking forward to seeing you around.

Take care,
Jina
Old 01-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #9  
Baby Steps

Congrats on the 8 pounds Mee!!! That is a great way to start! Sounds like you know what you're doing and are well on your way

This site is great for support and answers!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #10  
on my way down again

Hi and Welcome Mee! You'll love the support and encouragement here! Also, congratulations on your fantastic wieght loss. Other than the thyroid problem (I don't have that), you sound just like me with eating carbs. Bye for now, Barbie.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #11  

Hi,

I am so sorry that you have gone through the pain of not losing weight.

For me it is the sugar...and any bread of any kind...I have botton the 9 gain and 12 grain breads and still gotton the gravings,..wehn I eat bread or pasta...it makes me want more bread and pasta..when I cut them out I lose weight...also if I drink any kind of alcoholic beverage I gain weight from that too.

So for me for the past 30 plus years this is the only wazy I can lose wweight..I do eat lost of brocoli etc green vegetables...I have been looking at the South Beach diet..I have to be careful of any koind s of breads though..even if it is wheat...

Hope I have helped you.

Mee
Old 01-27-2004, 08:00 PM   #12  

Default any kind of bread for me starts cravings & wt. gain

I can never and will never be able to handle breads bagels..pasta...They just put me back on some kind of binge..soem times could last months tilll I gain so much weight...then finally get sick and tired of the fat adn dont want to be seen then I will be READY to give them up again..I feel ready nright now after going all the way back up to 180 after being down to 135 for a long time..I went back on bread and bagels and pasta..
Old 01-27-2004, 08:01 PM   #13  

I can never and will never beable to handle breads bagels..pasta...They just put me back on some kind of binge..soem times could last months tilll I gain so much weight...then finally get sick and tired of the fat adn dont want to be seen then I will be READY to give them up again..I feel ready nright now after going all the way back up to 180 after being down to 135 for a long time..I went back on bread and bagels and pasta..
Old 01-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #14  

All of you that have written me a message ...thank you so much..for making me feel welcome as I am new to the forum.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 PM   #15  

Thanks for answering my questions Mee201. I was really hoping you weren't allergic to wheat bread, that it was just white bread products, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I may just have to give up every dang bread product. But thanks for talking to me.

Do ya'll have a daily food log here where ya'll are posting what you eat? I would like to see what ya'll are eating, especially if you not having any wheat products, like on induction. I have Atkins books and the ideas there, I just like to see what "real people" are eating on it. Thanks!

take care,
Cathy
Closed Thread