Old 08-29-2014, 07:38 PM   #1  

Default Exercise and IP - how I balance it

I have seen a few questions on exercise and IP and talked extensively with my great coach. These are my experiences but I'm hoping they can help someone else.

My background: I was into lifting heavy weights and a lot of cardio a few years ago. Then a shoulder injury sidelined the weight lifting. I was still doing cardio but thyroid problems were becoming evident. Long story short, I gained 45 pounds, was working out and seeing no results even though two meds had balanced my thyroid.

Enter IP. I've been on the diet a month and lost 12 pounds. I exercise and add a packet when needed.

What I learned about exercise on IP:

IF you were an avid exerciser before IP it is okay to continue to exercise in moderation. That's different for everyone and here's the methodology I used and worked out with my coach.

I used to lift heavy weight, 6 - 7 reps, 2 -3 sets to failure. For cardio I really liked the Firm videos, dance videos like Zumba. My coach said conversational cardio and light weights. I took my normal weights and cut them in half. That DIDN'T work. It was too much and my body was still using the packets for fuel and losing muscle mass. My coach and I cut it back to a third. That worked!!

My lean body mass is stable, I lift at 1/3 my original weights for 12 reps, 2-3 sets at a time. I separate out my workouts for different body parts. Three days a week I do the weights. I am never out of breath.

Cardio days - I like to walk and use my fitbit to get 10,000 steps a day.

By watching my Lean body mass (Tanita scale at home) I could really see what worked. I absolutely talked it out with my coach as I progressed. Now I see the pounds dropping, my body is toning up and my lean muscle mass is stable.

thanks
Kate
kattigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:00 PM   #2  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

No offense to you or your coach but when it comes to an experienced lifter the best way to retain muscle mass and avoid injury on an PSMF diet the best way is heavy weights with low volume.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/178/170

Height: 5"7

I like to remain active and discussed with my coach when I started the program. I walk a lot and now that I have a fitbit, I track it more closely. I am usually over 10,000 steps per day, average about 15,000. I also do hot yoga 1-2 times per week. I have been on the program since June 16th and lost 27 lbs and 17 inches total, it is working for me!
SlimminginSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #4  

hot yoga - that sounds interesting. I'm like trying new things and getting variety. Thanks!
kattigrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/178/170

Height: 5"7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattigrr View Post
hot yoga - that sounds interesting. I'm like trying new things and getting variety. Thanks!
I love hot yoga, I usually do a 60 or 90 minute class. Just remember you have to hydrate before and after as you sweat a TON, feels like a detox! Good luck!
SlimminginSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote