Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW242/CW207/GW150

Height: 5'3

Default Do you like working out in the morning or afternoon?

I want to start to get into the habit of working out early in the morning before I go to work since the small gym I go to gets really busy in the afternoon (it is pretty full early in the morning too)
tinamariefitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

i prefer the morning and get it out of the way, then I can focus on the rest of the day, but there is a class I love that is at night and on that day will adapt my routine and often end up going twice that day.
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW242/CW207/GW150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michou View Post
i prefer the morning and get it out of the way, then I can focus on the rest of the day, but there is a class I love that is at night and on that day will adapt my routine and often end up going twice that day.

I really want to start going in the morning because even when I go in the morning and weekends when I don't work I feel energized, but how do you get the motivation to wake up really early...I would have to go to the gym around 5/5:30am...
tinamariefitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 163/142/130

the results will be your motivation, but I must say always been an early bird
Michou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

I am 200% an owl!!! so it is impossible for me to wake up 5 am to go to gym(( I go to gym in the evenings. you should go to gym when it is comfortable for you! there are no trustful researches that the morning sport activity is better than the evening one
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/157/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerjv View Post
I am 200% an owl!!! so it is impossible for me to wake up 5 am to go to gym(( I go to gym in the evenings. you should go to gym when it is comfortable for you! there are no trustful researches that the morning sport activity is better than the evening one
Me too! I wish I could be one those girls who can get up at 5 AM, work out for an hour, come back home, take a shower, and get ready for the day but first I don't think I can wake up at 5 AM on a daily basis and two, after working out I'd probably want to take a hot bath and relax!

I ALWAYS exercise at night after the sun sets. I live in California and while it may not get as hot as other places, I like the feeling of night breeze on my face.

The only time I exercise in the morning is when I'm not at home like when I'm traveling since my internal alarm is all whack. But usually even then I don't really "exercise," more like 3 rounds of sun salutation and some stretches.
hellolovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Morning, of course. You need your full energy to work out. Specifically, I weight train in the morning when I can. And run at lunch.

Weight training needs your full oomph.

I wake up at 5am every day. I have kids. And work. So it's my only free time. And it's my time. So I love getting up them. There's no guilt if the kids are still sleeping and work hasn't started yet.

But God forbid if I wake the kids up. I have to creep around the house like a mouse. I'm talking stopping the microwave on 1 second to stop it beeping, turning door handles when closing doors. And never...ever...wearing shoes around the house.

Last edited by IanG; 06-16-2014 at 08:44 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

O frig I so wish I could be a morning gym person - i hardly have any time in the evenings considering my workout is 1.5-2hrs. My main reason for not working out in the gym is how long it takes me to blow dry my huge hair :P lol so I wouldn't bow dry it and i would end up going to work every day with a stupid looking sweaty bun - aka not attractive. My gym opens at 6 but I have to be out of the house by 8:00 latest to make it to work, doesn't give enough time for a full workout and hair issues :S
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:15 AM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I work out in the mornings because my days are always so busy and can easily get away with me because of work, kids, errands, other things....and i'm just far too tired mentally and physically to work out in the evenings....I've done it before and I just don't like it....it feels like a chore

during the winter when I work a split shift, I work out about 10:30 a.m.....in the summers when I work 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., I work out at 5:30 a.m.....I really like my early morning workouts...it sets a good tone for the day, it suppresses my appetite and I've already gotten my workout out of the way no matter what else comes up during the day

up at 5 a.m., clean up the puppy mess and head to the gym, work out for half hour 5:30-6 a.m.....because my time is limited, I do the hardest cardio workout that I can do in that time...come home at 6 a.m., shower, start DH's coffee, start laundry, etc, head out of the house at 6:50 a.m., get a coffee and head to work....I'm at work by 7:15 a.m. and work straight through til 2-3 p.m.

Last edited by alaskanlaughter; 06-17-2014 at 12:17 AM.
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #10  

S/C/G: see ticker

I work out in the evening, after dinner, because I have to get up at 4:30 am to commute to work. The good part is I get home before 5pm, have dinner shortly after getting home, and am out the door with the dogs, running by 7 pm. There is no way on Earth I could get up at 3:30 am to get a workout in before heading to the salt mines.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 129.6/129.6/123

Height: 5'2''

I've been a morning exerciser for 10+ years and have tried several times (unsuccessfully) to shift to afternoons. Normally, it's the LAST thing I want to do when I get off work. Plus, my mood is always better when I start the day with exercise.

Most importantly, do what works best for YOU! My husband is not a morning person, so getting up early like I do is very counter-intuitive for him.

As long as you have a designated time, that's all that matters!
TheFarmersWife713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #12  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Well, here's the thing. If I'm going to get to the gym, I have to wake up, get out of bed, throw on my workout clothes, and GO. Because if I don't, I won't go at all. Now, I'm not saying I go at, like, 6 AM...because I am not *that* much of a morning person. I work at a gym, and maaaan, the people who are there at 6 AM on the dot? I'm both envious of them and wonder what the **** is wrong with them. *L*

If, though, I'm just planning to do some powerwalking outside? I'll go in the afternoon, around noon or so.

On days when I want to run outside, I do it after dinner, when it tends to be cooler. The only problem I run into with that is when I have to work in the evenings.

Last edited by Snoofie; 06-17-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #13  

Morning time. I found that if I exercised in the evening - I couldn't go asleep.
palmstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:47 AM   #14  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

it's a good thing that I work out in the mornings because on days like this, I would never get one in during the afternoon/evening....today I got up at 5 a.m. and worked out, then worked from 7 a.m. to almost 4 p.m. with no lunch break, then came home and crashed out exhausted for a bit before going to a board of directors meeting tonight...then I came home and made dinner late for everyone and now it's almost bedtime....
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/130

I workout in the afternoons at 2:00 or 3:00pm. I love this time! The gym is usually empty so it feels like its my own personal place. Before my journey, I would tend to eat more in the evenings, so this curbs my nighttime appetite and snacking. After a good cardio and weight workout, sleep is never a problem.
Doris5096 is offline   Reply With Quote