UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #1  
Helena (UK)

S/C/G: 362/351/262

Height: 5ft 4

Default "Things" on toast! Ideas please!

Ideas please for tasty but low fat low calorie things to have on my Weightwatchers toast (70 cals per slice = 140c).

So far I have thought of:

Pilchards in tomato sauce
Marmite and a sliced hard boiled egg or fried egg
Scraping of low fat sandwich spread and a slice of ham
Half a can of baked beans

Low sugar, no artificial sweeteners please. Up to 160 calories to make me a meal totalling 300 calories.

Thanks

x
362to262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 164/158/137

Height: 5'5

Oooh!

Sautee (boil the **** out of) baby tomatoes (chopped) with garlic and basil (+salt and pepper?).

Instead of margarine, use avocado as a spread on the toast and then add the tomato and garlic topping! Might sound weird, but it's great and healthy.

You could also try a soft cheese/hummus with cucumber slices.

I also have scrambled tofu and veg on toast instead of scrambled eggs.
Kitkat1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:26 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

I love tosts very much! It depends on my mood but i like to use (in different combinations): avocado, shrimps, boiled chicken breasts, doiled veal, feta, tomatoes, cucumbers, garlis, greens, salad leeves (different kinds). Also i do sweet tosts: bananas, strawberris, honey, cottage cheese
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #4  

Height: 6-1.5

I love a tomato sandwich, with hummas spread. Scrambled egg sandwich is good as well. It seems that cucumber is a traditional sandwich. I thought most bread was about 70 calories per slice.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 362to262 View Post
Ideas please for tasty but low fat low calorie things to have on my Weightwatchers toast (70 cals per slice = 140c).

So far I have thought of:

Pilchards in tomato sauce
Marmite and a sliced hard boiled egg or fried egg
Scraping of low fat sandwich spread and a slice of ham
Half a can of baked beans

Low sugar, no artificial sweeteners please. Up to 160 calories to make me a meal totalling 300 calories.

Thanks

x
I just wanted to comment on your baked beans. Here in the US, baked beans are full of sugar. I have heard of other people from UK who ate Heinz beans on their diet. One time I did see UK Heinz beans in our local grocery store but they were very expensive compared to our US beans. They were sold in a separate section that sold other UK foods. I wonder why they don't give us that option, too? I love baked beans, but when I eat them, I put them in a strainer and rinse the thick sugary sauce off them. I think that removes a lot of the sugar, but the taste is still cooked into the beans and is satisfying to me without all that sauce.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
I love a tomato sandwich, with hummas spread. Scrambled egg sandwich is good as well. It seems that cucumber is a traditional sandwich. I thought most bread was about 70 calories per slice.

These are all things I love, but now I rarely eat bread, so no more sandwiches. I keep a loaf of Sara Lee 45 cal bread in the freezer for an occasional sandwich treat.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Pure almond (or any nut) butter, ricotta cheese, hummus and pesto (pref. home made) are my faves.

I also have mashed avocado with a bit of sea salt which is super satisfying, especially with an egg on the side.
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:29 AM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

cottage cheese with a sprinkle of salt nothing else
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I just wanted to comment on your baked beans. Here in the US, baked beans are full of sugar. I have heard of other people from UK who ate Heinz beans on their diet. One time I did see UK Heinz beans in our local grocery store but they were very expensive compared to our US beans. They were sold in a separate section that sold other UK foods. I wonder why they don't give us that option, too? I love baked beans, but when I eat them, I put them in a strainer and rinse the thick sugary sauce off them. I think that removes a lot of the sugar, but the taste is still cooked into the beans and is satisfying to me without all that sauce.
This is a good point - you could try making home-made baked beans? I'm sure there's a good recipe online, if you use chopped tomatoes for the base, salt, pepper, basil, coriander and maybe onion and garlic and then add in the beans (I like to use butter beans as they're huge, so you get more bean!)?? They'd keep in a container in the fridge and maybe freezer too.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #10  

KitKat from what I understand, the UK Heinz beans are just beans in tomato sauce. I could probably do that easily, but I would be the only one eating them because everyone else like the traditional US baked beans with all the sugar and molasses. They ARE good, but I am diabetic and cannot have all that sugar. I think someday I will spend the extra money and buy a can of the Heinz UK beans. They are over $2 US for a small can, while our other canned baked beans are around $1 US.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/145/160

Height: 5'10

my favorite is a small pouch of tuna fish with lots of cucumber and onions for bulk. You feel so full after! it tastes fresh and delicious.
Calicofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #12  

I could send you a baked bean care package from the UK if you want?

I don't know how great Heinz UK are.. it still definitely contains salt and sugar although you can buy a 'low salt low sugar' version.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #13  

LOL I can just see my husband if I start getting beans in the mail. LOL
Old 08-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

Height: 5'7"

I've put some refried beans on toast and then melted a little shredded cheese on the top when I've been in the mood for mexican - a little fresh salsa on the top makes it even better and adds hardly anything for the counts.
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 251.6lbs

Height: 5'5"

Ooooh great thread! At the end of a long, busy, kid filled day I sometimes don't want to cook (again!) so I turn to toast. This thread has given me a few more ideas. Thanks!
MumOnAMission is offline   Reply With Quote