Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 348.5/T/185

Height: 5'9"

Default 300+ Chat Thread: August, 2014

WELCOME!!

We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support, inspiration, and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone (roosters as well as chicks!) to join us in our journey. We share laughter and tears, heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations. We also share what works for us and what doesn't.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group... we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us!
Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Fiona & Betsy - Thank you for the welcome back!

A little about me...I'm 28, just celebrated 4 years of marriage to my best friend (and almost 10 years of being together!). We have are childless by choice....well, at least human children. We have a 1 year old pug child named Winston. I work at a social services agency & plan to return to college to get my Bachelor's in social work. I went to school to be a paralegal, but I dislike the work, and after years of soul searching, I finally found my calling!

Besides the morbid obesity, I've always been active...I love to exercise! And I never had any significant health problems until this year. Right now, I'm suffering from a bulged disk in my neck, which radiates pain down my shoulders and into my hands, making everything much more difficult. I am also getting over a 4 month battle with pneumonia, and right now I have one heck of a case of laryngitis (I've been without a voice for 4 weeks now). However, I'm keeping positive, and working towards getting these problems sorted out!

Sam I am so very sorry for your loss. Please take care of yourself during this time of grieving. *hugs*
Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #3  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Wink

Ubee ~ Thanks, Im looking forward to starting my women's fitness group this Thursday

Sam ~ I hope the women's fitness group goes good too, I'll definitely tell you how the first session goes

Kayley ~ Welcome back

Tiffany ~ I hope you enjoy your time on the forum and on this thread

Betsy ~ I agree anything we can do to keep us on track is a good thing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up at 5:00 AM this morning so chances are I'll definitely take a nap before we go run errands at 2:00 pm today but anyway so far today I've done my everyday morning duties and now Im just watching t.v and posting on here and on 2 other forums while ripping cd's to the computer so I can put them on my MP3 Player and thats all Im doing right now. I'll get my 30 min outside walk in this morning and I'll get my 5 mile walk in tonight as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Whoa! It is August already!
Terra my aren't you up early today. A nap sounds so good. I have one scheduled for August 10th.
Kayle I am so envious that you like to exercise. I love how active so many of our group are and I hope it is contagious. What kinds of exercise do you enjoy? No negativity about WLS here. Whatever it takes to get healthy is the right choice.
Betsy time to stop worrying about everything that is broken and needs to be fixed EXCEPT for you! My friend we have got to dig down and get serious. We have a lot of living to do!
Fi I love your evil advice. From now on I will picture all of us chanting "Evil, Evil..." together when I am near that poison. Oh and on a side note, my daughter did not ask for the chocolate chips until I called her from the store asking if she wanted to put them in her cookies. Sugar is evil and it makes me evil. She is getting so trim and healthy,I will not lead her astray!
Angie I know you are busy with work and family but take care of yourself too.
Tiffany how is it going?
Sam sending you even more love and hugs.
Jane and Silent do I need to call the mounties?
Busy weekend coming up. I will stay on plan. Hormonal week from heck has passed and I feel stronger again.
I must be learning because the scale stayed steady the whole week. Going to get some off before the next hormonal sabatoge. (Is blaming my hormones not being accountable for my actions?)
Stay strong on this journey my friends and thanks for being here.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #5  
Turning Into A New Woman

Ubee ~ Yeah I know I got up way early but I couldnt go back to sleep when the alarm went off at 4:30 so I just laid in bed until 5 am and then decided to go ahead and get up. Yeah I love when Im able to take a nap. Why do you have to schedule a nap? That sounds pretty funny.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Sam, I know that nothing we can say will help you with easing your pain, but hopefully knowing that we all love and care about you will provide a sense of warmth for you. I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. Losses that seem so senseless and preventable seem even harder to cope with. But your decision to not let this be a reason to go on a binge eating spree reminded me that we've each in our own way overdosed only for us it was food and the harmful effects take much longer to show up.

I don't know if it helps, but maybe your friend's last gift to you is your realization that he wanted you to get healthy and your ability -- even though every part of you is in pain -- to understand that you need to mourn his passing and allow your own grief to come through, but that it doesn't have to be through doing something that will hurt you. Please take care of yourself and DH. And understand that there's going to be a large hole in your spirit for what will seem like forever and that it's ok to feel that way for now.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Today is my nephew's birthday -- he's turning 38......that seems impossible as so many of my memories are of a freckle-faced little boy. He's grown into a fine young man.......now I just need to find him a wife!

Kayley What does loving to exercise feel like -- physically and emotionally? I'm trying to think of a physical activity I enjoy and realize that there are none -- mainly because moving is so hard. Sounds like you've got a busy life going on right now with deciding to return to college and working on getting back to a healthier life style. Good for you!

Terra I love naps. And any day you wake up before the sun is up means that you're entitled to a nap.

Ubee I don't schedule my naps any more.....I seem to have reached the age where if I'm sitting still for more than about 10 minutes (such as in a parking lot waiting for someone), my head just bobs to the side and I'm out like a light. I know I take these naps due to the drool stains on my tees when I wake up. So attractive! Congrats on getting through the hormonal blitzkrieg without any weight gain. I've got to try that some time (the no weight gain, the hormonal blitzkrieg's are over for me......of course, that leaves me with no excuse for being cranky other than I feel like it!).

Today I've got to go to Costco and the grocery store. That was supposed to happen yesterday but I took a friend out for her birthday lunch (stayed on plan!), and then ended up running endless errands for her so she could make this dumb apricot chutney. First we went to the Farmer's Market -- ok, that was on the schedule, but ended up having to make 3 trips back to the car with stuff because she's making pickles and stuff. Then to a spice store to get candied ginger. Then to a grocery store to get red peppers. By the time I got home, it was already 4:00, and it's another 30 minutes into town and I wasn't in the mood. So, today I'll do that and hopefully get the floors done this afternoon. Tomorrow is either finish cleaning or yard work. Sunday is the Arts Festival and the family birthday party. My other nephew and the grands will stay here overnight, so Monday will be clean up. Who knows what exciting thing will pop up the rest of next week! Have a great day.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #8  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Sam— I know you're probably crying a lot (I would be), but I hope you're hanging in there OK. If you didn't see my message to you at the end of the July thread, please read it, because I was really feeling for you when I wrote it. It's important to let yourself mourn your friend, and remember: grief is hard work. I am super impressed with you that you are not going on an eating binge. Is your husband being supportive? I would expect that he is feeling a lot of grief, too. Please know that I am thinking about you and wishing you well.

Kayley— My husband and I are childfree by choice as well: we made that decision nearly 20 years ago (I am 59) and have never regretted it once. I think pugs are wonderful, and I've heard that they have great personalities! As you may have gathered from my recent postings, we are on the verge of being parents of felines again, after a sad year and a half during which we've had no cats in the house. We are into oriental shorthairs, a cat breed that is related to purebred Siamese—very long, tall, & skinny with long faces and big ears. Orientals come in a wide variety of colors and patterns—basically all the ones that regular American shorthairs (the cats most people have) come in. We have had two consecutive pairs of orientals—brother-&-sister littermates—and are about to get our third pair. Their names are Oscar (for Oscar Wilde) and Nénu (short for nénuphar, the French word for water lily): here's the most recent picture that our breeder sent us. We pick them up on Sunday, so my husband Bob and I are getting super excited! By the way, I agree with Ubee: you are blessed for being someone who likes to exercise. I'm sort of in the middle these days: I like to exercise some, but not as much as I should.

Ubee— I'm glad you and Betsy are picking up on the "Evil! Evil!" chant for when you walk by sugary treats in the grocery store. =smile= I literally say it aloud, sort of under my breath, even after being basically sugarfree for a long time. I know this isn't the Tough Love thread, but I have to say it: when you made that phone call to ask your daughter about buying chocolate chips, in the back of your mind you were planning to eat some of them yourself. Isn't it frustrating how our minds can trick us by justifying doing something that is off plan? I know I've been having that problem myself recently, using the last-minute push to get our house ready for the kittens as an excuse to not do my leg exercises. =sigh= Are you ready to make the commitment to being sugarfree except for very special occasions?

Betsy— I agree with Ubee: you appear to have a habit of "fixing" other people, when you need, for health reasons if nothing else, to focus on "fixing" yourself. I think that one of the rewards of being retired is that we can put our own needs front and center. Yes, that tendency of yours means that you are a good person, a person who reaches out and gives of your time & energy to other people; but if you neglect your own health needs, you will not live as long, and thus will be less helpful to others in the long run. I'm a "fixer," too, or I wouldn't have become a doctor. But in the last couple of years, I've been trying very hard to think about the future, and remind myself of how devastated Bob in particular would be if he lost me at a relatively early age to complications of obesity. And now I have my niece Margaret and my great-niece Grace to think of—as well as my sister Lee Ellen, whom I don't see very often but am very close to, thanks to the phone. Your loved ones need for you to live as long as possible, and to be mobile & active in your old age!

Speaking of Grace, yesterday's get-together with her was quite an experience! We started out, as I mentioned earlier, with a focus on mail art. I told her she may or may not want to get into mail art, but I was going to give her an in-depth introduction to it, so she could make a well-informed decision. She already, at just age 14, considers herself a collage artist: a lot of collage artists find mail art a rewarding way to improve their skills and find out firsthand what other collage artists, and artists of all kinds all over the world, are doing.

Then, after dinner, I gave her my iPad2. Since I'd built it up as a surprise, I started by just saying flat out: "I'm giving you my iPad2." She looked both puzzled and a little distressed—she's a very empathetic gal—and said, "Why??" So then I explained about the pain I've been having in my left thumb joint and my need for a lighter tablet. And I voiced my strong concern that if I were to buy the iPad Air and pass my iPad2 onto someone else, I would want it to be someone who would use it as I have—as a wonderful tool for creativity and learning, not just something to play games on. The more I talked about my love (I used the word "love" more than once) for my iPad2 and my mixed feelings about giving it up, even in the face of good reasons to upgrade to the iPad Air, the more Grace began to smile and smile, her eyes getting wide with excitement. She could really tell what a compliment I was giving her, to choose her as the person to inherit my iPad2, which I have cared for well and still has many years of life left in it.

We then took it upstairs to plug it into one of our desktop computers, wipe it clean of everything I had on it (which I'd already transferred to my iPad Air), and turn it into a brand-new iPad that would be her very own. That iPad2 has a white "bezel" (the frame around the screen), and I had outfitted it, just for Grace, with a silicone wrap-around back cover in blue, her favorite color. I also gave her a blue Alu-Pen stylus, my favorite brand (after much experimenting). She was absolutely delighted with the color scheme and especially with the stylus.

She had seen other people's tablets and smartphones, of course, people who just use their fingers on the keyboard, etc., and could really appreciate what a huge difference it makes to have a good stylus. I explained to her about how our hands are an extension of our brains, and what are our hands strongly trained for? Something that feels like a pen or a pencil! She got the hang of the triple keyboard very quickly, and I showed her a few non-obvious special features it has. After that, there was very little I needed to do: she was off and running, holding the iPad securely in her left hand, with her right hand holding the stylus and punching out URLs, etc., at high speed. I gave her a few suggestions for art applications she might want to get right away, and that was it!

As I was driving her home, I asked her, "Well, did I blow your mind tonight?" She said, "Yes! Yes!" with tons of happy enthusiasm in her voice. She was already brimming with ideas about how to use the iPad, and tickled that the passcode meant that her 10-year-old brother would not be able to swipe it from her to play games on.

What else can I say? I love Grace very much, and it was a fabulous experience for both of us! I can't wait to see her next Thursday, and she is really looking forward to meeting Oscar and Nénu. (She adores all animals, and wants to be a vet when she grows up.)

Last edited by Fiona W; 08-01-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon!
Fi I almost feel like I am getting new kitties! Your Grace story was so touching and reminded me to not cling to anything. When it has served it's purpose with us it needs to go to others. Just what I needed to hear. As for tough love it is always appreciated. Yes, I was setting myself up. I am ready to be sugar free unless it fits into my strict rules. I do not hate strict rules. I need the boundries it provides.
Betsy once again your post cracks me up. Drool keeps us honest. I think I need more coffee. I live in a small ranch. If I do the floors that is my work limit for the day/month/year. Ick I really need to work on just doing what needs to be done instead of talking myself out of it.
Terra we have to take care of our daughter 24 hours a day. Hubby helps but if I lie down for a nap she gets worried that something is wrong. She is full of energy and a nap is not even on her radar.
Sam we are all thinking of you.
Today we went to lunch with a large group of people. Hubby and I had huge salads. Someone came up and told me how she wants to sit by me from now on. She said she was lying in bed thinking about how she was going to be strong and not eat junk and order a salad. She said our salads looked so much better then what she had. I think I had the best dish served too. I would never have thought I would fall in love with salads. Maybe there is hope for exercise.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #10  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Ubee I'm here!

I have been pet sitting and it's already cost me $450 and my sanity. Long story. But I have not had time to sit down and post.

the edema was PMS related but I got on the scale and I have put too much back on. Today was perfectly on plan and I got my swim and a lot of walking in. HAD TO make sure today was perfect because it's my 2 year dietaversary. Not perfect like my one year, but I certainly didn't gain it all back so that's something.

Hoping to be around more over the weekend!
Old 08-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #11  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Gosh, I got so involved in writing about Grace, I forgot to say that I made a collage about friendship—which is also a collage about two cats. Be sure to read what I wrote underneath it. Here it is.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #12  

Good Morning!
Fi as a fellow kitty mama I love your collage! How long does it take you to make something like that? You must be very patient. Have a safe trip and enjoy every precious moment.
Happy Dietaversary Jane! your post made me smile as I thought back to when I first started. I went through that honeymoon stage and according to my calculations I should be in a bikini right now. It is a journey. I have so much mental/emotional work to do so I am on the slow road. That is OK as long as I keep traveling and don't give up. You were one of the main posters that made me believe I could do this. Thank You Jane!
If it is not too painful I would love to hear the dog sitting story.
A while back I was so happy about how my husbands blood work had improved. Well his EKG showed blockage. After more tests it turned out to be all clear. Boy has that changed his attitude. I think he thought he was going to die first. Now, that he knows he may be around for a while he is worried about me and is being even more supportive. I'm loving it.
Have a peaceful day!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Ubee - I love to hike, work out on my elliptical, weight training, Zumba, bike riding, and I also enjoy Geocaching...while that's not a workout, there can be quite a bit of hiking involved at times, and I've gotten a good sweat on hunting for hidden treasure!

Betsy - I've always been active, ever since I was a small child, even though I was always overweight then, too. Lately, my knees have been hurting a lot, and the stress of carrying around an extra person (an obese one, at that!) is putting a strain on my activity level. Totally jealous you have a Costco (random, I know). We are FINALLY getting one here, and I've been anxious as all get out for them to open since the announcement!

Fiona - Hubby & I made the decision about 2 years into dating that we didn't want children. I've always known I didn't want children of my own (the earliest I can remember having those thoughts is being 11 years old). He actually got a Vasectomy about 8 years ago, and you would have thought the world was ending, according to some of my friends and relatives. At that time, we were quite young (19 & 21 respectively), but it boggled my mind that people thought they knew what was best for US. We are 28 & 29 now, and no regrets. Honestly, our pug child is enough to handle! lol.

Oh goodness! Your new babies are precious! I love orange cats. My Mom has one, and he's quite a lump, at 20 pounds, but he has such a personality, even more so than the other two cats she has. I hope they bring you absolute joy! By the way, the collage is beautiful!

------------------

Although I knew on Tuesday that my surgery was approved by the insurance company, I got the actual letter from them yesterday, which made it all the more real to me. It also included a tentative hospitalization date of September 29th. I don't know if that will be the final date of my surgery, but I assume it will be around that time. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared....I've never had surgery of any kind, nor have I ever been put under via anesthesia. I have no doubts about my choice to have gastric bypass, however the surgery itself just scares me. I just have to keep reminding myself that I chose one of the best Bariatric hospitals in the midwest, and the top program in Indiana, and that my type of surgery (RNY) has been performed for decades.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:19 PM   #14  
Turning Into A New Woman

Betsy ~ Yeah I agree if you are up before the sun your entitled to a nap.

Ubee ~ Oh okay well thanks for answering my question.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up at 10 AM this morning which I havent done in a long time I usually get up anywhere between 7 am and 9 am, I usually cant sleep past 9 but I sure did today. So far today I've done my morning duties like always and I just got done eating breakfast, Now Im just watching t.v and posting on this forum and on 2 other forums, I havent didnt do my morning 30 min walk this morning since I didnt get up until 10 am and Its too hot already at 10 am but I'll still get my 5 mile walk in this evening and I'll make sure I get up at 6 am tomorrow so I can go walk by 8 am tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Terra1984; 08-02-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone...

Just wanted you all to know I'm still here. Things are hard for me right now so I won't be posting as much. I haven't binged but haven't been completely on plan. I'm sure I'll have a bit of a gain when I weigh in tomorrow but I don't care. I'll make up for it next week. Haven't exercised since Tuesday. Its been raining today so DH and I weren't able to go on a walk...maybe tomorrow. We're just trying to keep busy. Being alone with my thoughts have been the hardest time for me because all I can think about is my friend.

I want to thank everyone for the love and support you have given me. It had meant so much and I've read all of the wonderful comments you all have left for me. I am so thankful to have all of you as my friends. My heart still hurts very badly right now but give me time and I'll be back to my happy encouraging self...I just need time to grieve and feel all of these feelings. Silviu was the brother I never had so it really is like losing a family member...maybe worse. I know he wouldn't want me to make a big deal of his death but I don't think he knows just how special he was to me and to others. He never gave himself enough credit for how awesome of a person he was and how nice he was to everyone. I'll never forget him for as long as I live.
Closed Thread