Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 353/324/190

Height: 5'9"

Default What to bring to the hospital...

Hi again! As surgery gets closer and closer I find myself with more questions. I am wondering what you all took to the hospital with you for surgery. I know to bring my cpap machine but what kinds of things might I not think about? Thanks for your help!
newcreation2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:16 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

I'll bet you thought you asked a simple Q!!! so did I, and i wondered why we didn't have a sticky. and then, where ARE all those threads where we discussed stuff to take to the hospital!

Here's are the two threads I've found that have some information -

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ping-list.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...st-mystek.html

they have SOME info, but after reading them, I realized that the most useful info had been posted by a former member POOKIE88. She was wonderful. However, when she left, she deleted all her posts!

hope this helps at least a little.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Jiffypop THANK YOU for posting those links! I've been wondering the same thing.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 353/324/190

Thank you for the links! I can see why it isn't such an easy Q lol.
newcreation2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #5  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Thanks, Jiffypop, for posting the links!! Great info!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #6  
Creating a Healthier Me

I found this list on ObesityHelp. I'm not sure I agree with all of them, but I'm still pre-op, what do I know?

I'm curious to hear what post-ops think about this list.

Weight Loss Surgery Hospital Stay:* What To Pack

One of the most common questions pre-op*weight loss surgery*patients ask OH post-ops is:* “What should I pack for my hospital stay?”* Here is a list of some of the most recommended suggestions:

1. Loose fitting clothes for the ride home (You may be a little swollen!)
2. A pillow (To put over your stomach so that you can put your seat belt on after surgery, to place over your stomach when you need to cough)
3. ChapStick
4. Front zip sports bra
5. A list of your medicines
6. Open back Slippers (non-slip)
7. iPod with headphones (or something to listen to during your recovery)
8. A loose house robe to go around your hospital gown
9. A good book
10. Lotion
11. Water bottle for the ride home
12. Personal toiletries-toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, lotion, hairbrush, make-up and deodorant
13. Earplugs (In case your roomie snores!)
14. Insurance card
15. Biotene mouth spray (For dry mouth)
16. Cell phone and charger
17. Gas-X
18. Baby wipes
19. Hair band
20. A camera to take before pictures
21. Extra underwear
22. CPAP machine if you use one
23. Reading glasses or prescription glasses
24. Favorite photos that will comfort you
25. Laptop or E-reader device

Of all the items in the list above, ChapStick is a must according to many WLS post-ops. You should leave your jewelery and other expensive items at home.* Bringing a Laptop, iPod, and other electronics is usually not encouraged and many post-ops have commented that they were too sleepy and too busy walking to want to read, check email, and do other activities that don’t involve personal care.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

great list! but i agree that most electronics should be left at home for several reasons, but ya can't go wrong with a good beach read or a couple of magazines!

And most hospitals have things like baby wipes, and most surgeons take before pics anyway, but it never hurts to have your own.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Gas X - the kind that melt on your tongue were highly encouraged for me and the chap stick

I agree with leaving electronics at home as well
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

out of everything I brought, a cotton, borrowed bathrobe was the best thing. It was easy to drape over my shoulders while walking and i used it to drape over my legs when I felt too exposed at times.

And dry shampoo, if you're like me and realize during the middle of day two that your hair looks awful... although I will say this was the moment I realized I was ok to go home, because if I cared about my hair, I could be out of the hospital.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #10  
Creating a Healthier Me

Kim - thanks for the tip about the Gas X melts

Ducky - Thanks for the tip about the dry shampoo.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #11  
Releasing the inner hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyana View Post

1. Loose fitting clothes for the ride home (You may be a little swollen!)
2. A pillow (To put over your stomach so that you can put your seat belt on after surgery, to place over your stomach when you need to cough)
3. ChapStick
4. Front zip sports bra
5. A list of your medicines
6. Open back Slippers (non-slip)
7. iPod with headphones (or something to listen to during your recovery)
8. A loose house robe to go around your hospital gown
9. A good book
10. Lotion
11. Water bottle for the ride home
12. Personal toiletries-toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, body wash, lotion, hairbrush, make-up and deodorant
13. Earplugs (In case your roomie snores!)
14. Insurance card
15. Biotene mouth spray (For dry mouth)
16. Cell phone and charger
17. Gas-X
18. Baby wipes
19. Hair band
20. A camera to take before pictures
21. Extra underwear
22. CPAP machine if you use one
23. Reading glasses or prescription glasses
24. Favorite photos that will comfort you
25. Laptop or E-reader device
While this list is very comprehensive, I would not recommend much of it. Like others have said, I wouldn't bring any electronics that you have to worry about. You'll have just had major surgery and will be dopey for a bit. Plus, you will be expected to get up and walk around the floor, so you will leave items unattended.

I skimmed a lot of magazines, as concentrating on a book plot was way too difficult. I also took advantage of the hospital "freebies," as I didn't want to burden anyone else to carry a bunch of stuff I would have gotten from the hospital. But that's just me. #1 though is super important. You won't want anything tight around your stomach.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #12  

I've got a 3 hour ride home from the hospital, do you post-ops think that a nightgown would be a good option? I'm unsure of pants, due to a waist band for that 3 hour trip. Hubby says I should just wear a muumuu! lol
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleystar View Post
I've got a 3 hour ride home from the hospital, do you post-ops think that a nightgown would be a good option? I'm unsure of pants, due to a waist band for that 3 hour trip. Hubby says I should just wear a muumuu! lol
I wore a maxi dress with a empire waist and really low cut panties-- dress was above the incisions and the panties went below (sorry for the TMI). Then I brought a pillow to brace against my stomach for the drive home.

If you have a 3 hours car ride, ask for alcohol wipes before you leave or buy a box at a drug store. Its not uncommon to have nausea after surgery and, for some unknown reason, alcohol wipes held under your noses helps to curb the nausea. I had an hour and a half ride home and the alcohol wipes helped keep my stomach calm; my best friend had a three hour drive in rush hour stop and go and the alcohol wipes were the only thing that helped her avoid vomiting in the car.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckyyellowfeet View Post
I wore a maxi dress with a empire waist and really low cut panties-- dress was above the incisions and the panties went below (sorry for the TMI). Then I brought a pillow to brace against my stomach for the drive home.

If you have a 3 hours car ride, ask for alcohol wipes before you leave or buy a box at a drug store. Its not uncommon to have nausea after surgery and, for some unknown reason, alcohol wipes held under your noses helps to curb the nausea. I had an hour and a half ride home and the alcohol wipes helped keep my stomach calm; my best friend had a three hour drive in rush hour stop and go and the alcohol wipes were the only thing that helped her avoid vomiting in the car.
Definitely not TMI! I was wondering about what I'd do with my undies, since these days I rock the high waist ones...haha. I'll roll them under the pudge!

THANK YOU for the tip about the alcohol wipes. I'm keeping a list in my surgery binder, and definitely will add that to it!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 309/194/145

I didn't take a lot on the list. But I loved my robe. they encourage you to do so much walking that sitting and reading something never happened for me. I was either napping that first day, walking, trying to eat and watched very little tv. my drive home was almost 2 hours. Pillow on the belly for sure. I can't remember what I wore home though.
SnowAngel72 is offline   Reply With Quote