Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

Default The Zero Weight Gain Pregnancy

This is intended to talk about the new-again, back from the 50s idea that women carrying extra weight can and should have healthy pregnancies without gaining additional weight.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20090...or-obese-women

There is a lot of vociferous disagreement with this idea online, but I find the reasoning sound. If I got pregnant carrying 50 extra lbs of fat, I do not need to add extra fat. The 15lbs of non fat pregnancy gain (baby, placenta, uterine and breast growth, blood volume) becomes 15lbs of fat lost over 9 months; a gentle loss, and the recommendation includes nutritional counseling.

I find that last key, since such women must include sufficient protein, vitamins and minerals in 1800-2000 calories that they would "blindly" get in many more, if paying no attention to diet choices.

So this is what I am going for. I had lost 20lbs over the past 2 years, a little at a time. My goal (supervised by my OB) is to maintain my weight until delivery, which is in the obese category (194lbs at 5'6".) I eat 1800 - 2200 calories a day (attempting to alternate day to day.) I maintain a minimum fiber intake, the usual prenatal, etc.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited by jeminijad; 07-09-2014 at 05:28 PM.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/167/130

Height: 5' 3"

hi,
I think I might be pregnant now, still too early to confirm. I'm also breast feeding and am obese, i'm so close to only being overweight and i really wanted to get the weight off before i got pregnant again but it is what it is.
I'm hoping i can not put on weight (or keep it to a minimum).
I popped over today to post that when I saw your post.
So I'm not much help to you except to say I'm about to try the same thing but I dont have any professional help with it (yet). Last dietitian i saw was next to useless so I think i'll probably try to do it alone but i'll have to work really hard and stop baking brownies.
Fakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #3  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

Hi ladies,

Well I am 12st2.5 pounds (as of weighing myself on Tuesday morning) and I am also 19 weeks pregnant. Prior to pregnancy (around the time of my last period) I was 12st8. So as far as my pregnancy has gone to date I have managed to lose 5.5 pounds. They say that my baby is roughly 9 pounds of weight on me right now meaning that without the baby I would weigh 11st7.5.

This would then take me out of the overweight category as I need to be 11st10 to have a normal BMI.

I am happy with the 1400 average calories I am having a day (I eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full). I also eat healthy and exercise.

Prior to this I was obese and 2 years ago weighed in at more than 16 stone.

I think there is this big mentality that you are eating for two when you don't need to. I read somewhere that you should increase your calories to the point where you are having an extra two slices of toast with butter.

I have also read that if you are obese because of the size and what your body needs you will not put on as much weight during pregnancy as a normal weight person.
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:11 AM   #4  
New Healthy Mum

S/C/G: 229/145.5/141

Height: 5ft8

Oh and something else - one of my old school friends had a son two weeks ago and she has struggled with her weight since childhood and loves been pregnant because due to morning sickness throughout pregnancy her weight will remain the same and then after birth she will lose a good stone.

And when I look at my weight loss in early pregnancy I am sure it was down to not wanting to eat due to sickness.

During my own first pregnancy I had a healthy weight before hand and I remember I gained a stone but I wasn't been careful over fatty foods so I deserved it!

Last edited by sammymilner; 08-07-2014 at 10:05 AM.
sammymilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

I gained only 8 lb during my pregnancy 11 years ago. I was 265 at the start. I was closely monitored for other reasons and my son's growth was right on target. My doctor was very pleased!
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

My SIL was very overweight when she got pregnant with her third child. She was very upset that she was pregnant again because they had a boy and a girl and didn't want another one. She weighed less at 9 mo than she weighed before pregnancy. She needed to lose, but that might not have been the healthy way to do it. It didn't harm the baby, and he ended up being very close with his mom and was Mommy's Big Man. So God knew what he was doing giving her that additional child.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

I started and ended my third pregnancy at the same weight (95kg, obese). I was sick the entire time and also conscious of not overindulging in rubbish foods. I was terrified of reaching 100kg!! I just ate regular 'good for you' whole foods when I could stomach it and I drank a lot of milk and water. Funnily enough I maintained 95kg after his birth until I started my weight loss journey when he was 15 months old, I didn't lose hardly anything after the birth and I never lose as a result of breastfeeding (still feeding at 18 months, have had to make radical food changes to lose the weight I now have). Good luck
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

And I should add baby was a healthy 7lb 3oz at 36+6 weeks when he was born. He is also my longest carried to term baby despite me being at my heaviest with him.
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #9  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I think it's possible to do in a healthy way, though it may be challenging! I look forward to hearing about it - it's something I'm concerned about.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:12 AM   #10  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I have my first prenatal next week. I definitely didn't want to get pregnant at this weight. I was actually about to start eating healthier due to realizing my knees were starting to hurt more because I had gained extra weight. So I am going to try to not gain more than 11 lbs (which is what the internet says so far). Next week I'll have more info from the doctor. I keep trying to tell myself that I am not "eating for two." From everything I read, for a normal weight person, first trimester needs no extra calories, 300 in second and 350-400(?) for third. So I have mfp set to losing 1 lb a week and I eat my work calories. So it's about 2100 and becomes about 2300 from work calories. I've always been at least hooping while watching TV to stay active. I'm just so nauseated and exhuasted that I just want to live in my bed but I am determined to have a healthy pregnancy.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #11  

Thank you ladies for the comments

This morning, I weighed in at 191.8. I'll call that an even 192, and give myself permission to add a small bowl of ice cream onto my planned meals.

What I have planned for today:

3 eggs omelet (also 1/4c diced ham, 2T cheddar, 1/2 cup steamed broccoli) 1 slice whole grain toast

1 cup Rainier cherries, some kind of sandwich on high fiber sandwich thin (always loaded w/romaine, onion, tomato, a slice of cheese and a protein)

Spicy creamy pasta - high fiber rotini, hot italian sausage, chunks of green beans and yellow squash, in a sauce of light cream and asiago cheese. This is the biggest calorie meal- around 800.

I don't snack too much, just drink lots of water and 6oz can of diet soda per day.

2 days like this planned - I will weight again Monday morning. I have an OB appointment and gender ultrasound Monday evening, so it is a big day!

Last edited by jeminijad; 07-12-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #12  

I completely agree with you OP. I gained WAY too much with each baby. We were done, so this one is a surprise. My goal is not to go over 200 lbs. I'm about 165 right now, and I know that I'd be fine with little to no weight gain. But considering my history, I'd celebrate staying under 200. I know I'm setting the bar low, but I figure its better than no bar like my last 3 babies!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 07-15-2014 at 11:09 AM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #13  

Well, we had our anatomy u/s. Everything checked out great, and it is a boy! We have 2 girls, so that is exciting news.

They noted that I have dropped down a little in weight, so I'll try to stay more towards the 2000 calorie mark. Apparently several days of 1800 makes me lose a pound - this kid is a little furnace. I don't lose at 1800 when not pregnant, that is for sure. I had ice cream again today for lunch after feeling like crap and puking up my breakfast.

Stuff doesn't taste as good as it used to, and my stomach has shrunk. What a turnaround. Eating the right amount is easy now.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammymilner View Post
Oh and something else - one of my old school friends had a son two weeks ago and she has struggled with her weight since childhood and loves been pregnant because due to morning sickness throughout pregnancy her weight will remain the same and then after birth she will lose a good stone.

And when I look at my weight loss in early pregnancy I am sure it was down to not wanting to eat due to sickness.

During my own first pregnancy I had a healthy weight before hand and I remember I gained a stone but I wasn't been careful over fatty foods so I deserved it!
What is the standard weight advice given to pregnant women in Portugal? I have read that in France, they want to limit gain to around 15lbs for women of healthy weights, less for heavy ones. Basically, what I am doing.

I realize it was in reaction to the extremes of the 50s - telling a 110lb woman to only gain 15 lbs was dangerous - but telling women gaining 30+ is fine, which she may do again and again in successive pregnancies, has got to be contributing to the obesity epidemic.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Here's my story for what its worth: I got pregnant at age 39, 297 pounds. I was 275-ish after delivery and my daughter was 6 pounds, 9 ounces, 19 inches.
I had morning sickness all day for the first 20 or so weeks and could never keep down any form of white potato (weird, but my kid still doesn't like white potatoes) but I ate ice cream sometimes and lots of veggies all the time.
Being of 'advanced maternal age' I was very closely monitored throughout, but outside of the morning sickness had no problems.
The best news is that I've never gained back to that pre-pregnancy weight. I'm losing really slowly now, but still going down
Best of luck to you!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote