General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Intuitive Eating: July 2014

Hello everyone! I came across this wonderful Ted Talk about the difference between self esteem and self compassion. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IvtZBUSplr4 Lets all be mindful of treating ourselves with compassion over our food choices this month!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #2  

Thanks for starting a new thread Wannabe! I think its a great idea to treat ourselves with compassion. Starting right now. I ate way too much this evening and I know its because Im stressed out. It's hard not to feel frustrated since I really know at this point that its not the best choice for myself.

Quote:
So after I ate lunch (at the very first sign of hunger and had what I was thinking about all morning), I laid down for a bit. It helped a little. Then I realized that I needed to just be done for the day so I told my manager. Now I'm going to rest some more.

My coach has never told me about this other scale before. But then again she is not very passionate. She just keeps telling me I have to be accountable and if I make a conscience decision to eat when I'm not hungry then I'm not accountable. But you know what that sounds like diet behavior to me. If I'm tired and not feeling well I should have some compassion for myself.

Thanks for the kind words and speedy help!
Um yeah the idea of being accountable or even using the word accountable sounds like diet behavior to me too. I think being conscious, aware, and curious are the more important things. Good for you for taking care of yourself today!
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #3  

I think my troubles lately stem from tr stress of our upcoming trip. We will be going to visit my family in Europe. They live on the beach. Everyone there is really skinny. I've had to do lots of shopping for summer clothes because I've avoided buyig any for years and can't stand my old clothes anymore. That's a lot of stressful time spent in fitting rooms trying on bathing suits, shorts, dresses and other revealing summer clothes. It's easier to shop for winter that's for sure lol. I also have a fear of flying which is getting worse as I age. Every time I think about our impending trip which includes a couple of layovers (with a toddler!) my heart starts to race. I'm coping any way I can.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Hi, ladies...Just had a chance to get caught up on the rest of the June thread, and there were so many things I wanted to reply to on there, but I didn't know if they'd "quote" on this thread or not.

The Fitbit discussion is very interesting. My sister gave me a Fitbit in July of 2012 (can you believe that I even recorded the date?), and I've worn it every day since, except for maybe 6 days in all that time.

Over the past several months, my Fitbit hasn't been as exciting to wear, and it's even become kind of a burden somehow. Without looking I can now pretty much tell you how many steps I've taken in a day.

Two of my sisters got Fitbits at the same time, but they long ago quit using theirs, so it's no longer the fun competition we used to have among ourselves.

I've fallen into that mindset that was talked about on the June thread too, where you feel like steps have been "wasted" unless they've been recorded.

Many times I'll take the dog out early in the morning before getting dressed, and I'll drop my Fitbit into the pocket of my robe because I want to make sure I get credit for those steps too. It's kind of silly if you think about it.

Another thing that bothers me is an article I read recently about how just using these devices gives prying others the ability to get information about your health habits. We're spied on enough; I don't need to be spied on because of my pedometer too.

So I've been slowly increasing the amount of days I don't wear mine now. Some days I'll put it on, wear it for awhile, then take it back off.

When you think about it, what made us get these in the first place? For my sisters and me, it was because we were all going to start walking a million miles every day, and lose so much weight that we'd become pencils!

Over the last 2 years I've lost a total of 20 pounds, so I don't think the Fitbit has done a lot for me, except remind me to take a break from working at my computer more frequently during the day.

I haven't decided whether I'll quit wearing my Fitbit permanently or not, but for now, I'll probably still wear it most days because I really do like to know just how far I walk in a day.

Last edited by Truffle; 07-03-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #5  

Default Bathing suits

Years ago, when my daughter was little, I missed out on a LOT of fun times with her at the beach, just because I would have been mortified to be seen in a bathing suit, or even shorts and a top, because I was so embarrassed about my size--and I was WAY smaller than I am now. Most of the time I was only 20 or 30 pounds above what I wanted to be, and I still wouldn't allow myself to enjoy going to the beach or into a pool with her. We went to the beach only a handful of times while she was growing up, and I was always the one sitting on the beach wearing a pair of black jeans. (!)

Something seems to happen the older you get though; you stop caring so much what other people think. At least that's what's happening with me.

I'm going to turn 58 this summer, and it's been about since 55 that I find myself caring less and less about what people think. If they don't like what they see, they can turn their heads is my feeling now.

I will say though, for anyone who has young children, try as hard as you can not to let the way you feel about your body steal the fun times with the kids. They really do grow up very fast, and you'll miss out on a lot of good times and treasured memories.

I can't tell you the number of activities, both when my daughter was growing up, and even afterwards, that I missed out on simply because I was embarrassed about my size. I couldn't begin to count the number of social activities I've missed out on, and it didn't have to be that way.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #6  

Well said Truffle. It's a shame to miss out on anything in life because we don't deem ourselves beautiful enough to participate. Even sadder though is that we teach this body shame to our children. I know that with boys it's not the same level of insecurity but even so, I don't want him to learn that women should be ashamed of their bodies because they don't live up to beauty ideals. The models themselves don't live up to the airbrushed versions of themselves on the cover of magazines. I met Kate Moss once. Her skin was atrocious.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #7  

When I saw Melissa Mccarthy's cover on rolling stone mag I was glad to see her lookin fierce. I suspect that they photoshopped it though which is disappointing. I also found her disclaimer of not dieting a little disappointing. I really dislike the "I don't diet because I don't care" mentality that so many fat girls claim in the public eye. What do you think? http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/06/20/...ght-interview/
Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I also found her disclaimer of not dieting a little disappointing. I really dislike the "I don't diet because I don't care" mentality that so many fat girls claim in the public eye. What do you think? http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/06/20/...ght-interview/
I'm not really familiar with her, but from reading the article, I think maybe she really doesn't care. There are a few people like that, but I think most of us come from the other way around---first we diet for years, realize it's never done much but make us fatter, then we come to acceptance of our size, then maybe even to "not caring" about our weight.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #9  

Hmm, I have read conflicting things about Melissa Mcarthy. That she eats really healthfully, or like that article says that she eats more junk. I think her weight has also gone up and down a bit so I don't know if she doesn't care or not. I find it annoying that her weight is even focused on so much as it is. But, that is just a reflection of our body image obsessed society.

I have been eating a little more than my hunger lately and its "because I want to." clearly there is something going on but I haven't figured out what it is. I had a big change in my life recently and I think I am adjusting to it. It gives me anxiety when I think about it. I am having to set lots of personal boundaries and limits and its very very hard for me. Im not used to doing that. You would think I would feel all empowered from doing it and not need to eat, yet it makes me feel really uncomfortable setting limits and I feel like I need to eat. I always worry about being mean and I feel guilty. Im changing my entire dynamic with this one person by setting limits in a closer relationship where previously there were none. change is uncomfortable. Im glad I have my husband to help support me.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 07-04-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #10  

I lost 40 lb with IE and have not gained it back. But I would like to lose another 30 and need help as I have been stuck of a few years. IE is the only way I lost weight and kept it off.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
I lost 40 lb with IE and have not gained it back. But I would like to lose another 30 and need help as I have been stuck of a few years. IE is the only way I lost weight and kept it off.
It's a good reminder for us. IE is always under such scrutiny here even though almost every real person in my life is a natural born intuitive eater. It obviously works, there is no explanation why the people in my life eat whatever try want, don't restrict/deprive, eat a variety of foods and don't have weight problems. I always try to remember that, not to listen to dieters.

Carol, I'm sure the scale will move again. Go easy on yourself, you have a lot to contend with.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #12  

I have to remember that progress is not linear. It's always 2 steps forward 1 step back. Unfortunately when I'm taking a step back it always feels in the moment that its 3 steps back! But then I emerge stronger and better and ahead. I don't know what I can do to reassure myself that if I overeat today it doesn't mean I will overeat tomorrow. As I so every month I like to make a conscious effort to be grateful for the changes that are taking place so effortlessly.

- I got rid of my fitbit recently. That was so hard but necessary
- I cancelled my subscription to women's health and fitness magazines
- my food scale took its rightful place in my kitchen: in the baking pantry
- I haven't gained any weight trough a midst of stressful situations
- I'm looking forward to wearing my new bathing suit and will also keep my bikini on hand in case I'm brave enough
- I have ordered the things I want to eat in public without beig embarrassed, apologetic or ashamed
- I exercise because it feels too awesome not to
- I find something I like in the mirror every time I look in it
- I'm doing less shopping/cooking and less overall food activities
- I'm using small plates, not because it's a diet trick but because the dinner plates are too overwhelming and a turn off to me now
- I've realized that I only want 1 egg most of the time what's up with the ubiquitous 2 eggs??
- all sandwiches are better with a fresh slice of tomato on them. How I hated this before is ridiculous. I think I was probably afraid to mix healthy and bad foods together. I was all or nothing before. If I was binging it was all bad bad bad. When I was on a health kick it was all good food good

Last edited by Palestrina; 07-05-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #13  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Hey! I'm just checking in. IE has been going really well for me. Like Wannabe, I've been eating whatever I would like in restaurants and not what I think I should. I eat what I want for dinner. I've also been slowly letting go of weighing my food all the time and I've stopped counting sodium/sugar on the backs of labels for fear that the scale will go up with water weight.

The scale needs to go, but I sort've feel like I've come too far to let myself slip into a weight gain. Maybe I can weigh just once a week? Though even that is a mental battle in itself.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 38" waist/ 35" waist/ 32" wais

Height: 5'11

I'm thankful that I stumbled upon this great site for support. Thank you all! I am finally in control of my binge eating after several years. I used to have a problem with urges, but since I have been practicing hunger directed eating they are nonexistent.
I do slip up sometimes, but the bines are nowhere near as much as before.
brooke1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:17 PM   #15  
One day at a time.....

S/C/G: 300/242/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
When I saw Melissa Mccarthy's cover on rolling stone mag I was glad to see her lookin fierce. I suspect that they photoshopped it though which is disappointing. I also found her disclaimer of not dieting a little disappointing. I really dislike the "I don't diet because I don't care" mentality that so many fat girls claim in the public eye. What do you think? http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/06/20/...ght-interview/

I love her...have ever since she was on Gilmore girls eons ago. She was much larger back then,so maybe she's like us. Got sick of all the dieting and she's happy who she is and who can blame her? Her career is taking off and I think she's super pretty.... At any size.
jensassy is offline   Reply With Quote