Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 PM   #1  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Default How can I make water more palatable?

OK, so here I am once again. I've lost count of how many times I've "restarted", trying to lose these last 20 pounds. I'm not having much damn luck. *L*

So. I've decided to break things up into small manageable goals rather than going full tilt with everything at once. Maybe then things will work out better and it will be easier to stick to it all in the long run.

My first challenge will be to wean myself off of all liquids except water. I don't drink fruit juices anymore; gave those up completely. My downfall is soda. Before I started my weight loss journey it was all regular soda, and I managed to cut down to one a week. But then...I started on the diet soda. Oh dear god. I managed to convince myself that they were okay because they didn't have any calories (or points, since I'm doing WW.) But I know they're full of artificial sweeteners and those aren't good either.

So it's back to water. But oh my GOD isn't water the most boring thing on the planet! I tried cucumber-infused water, and I'm not a fan. Ick. I like lemon water, but that gets boring after a while when it's the only thing you're using.

I tried some flavoured sparkling water, and it was preeeetty much the most disgusting stuff I had ever tasted, so that's out the window. I didn't think something that was "mandarin orange" flavoured could possibly taste that bad. Eww.

I've seen those Soda Stream things for sale at WalMart, and they're not real expensive, but I don't know anyone who has one so I don't know what peoples' experiences have been with them.

Does anyone have any ideas? I just want something I can use temporarily, something with flavour and maybe a bit of fizz so I won't miss the soda TOO much. Eventually I want to be on water and nothing else, but it just seems like so much of a jump to go from soda to nothing but water, just like that.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well, it doesn't work for many. But I have had beer ever since I weighed 281lbs and it has not made the slightest difference to my weightloss (because I can control my munchies i.e. I can drink beer without the compulsion to go out and buy a pizza).

I wouldn't drink it in the daytime, ofcourse, but it sure beats H2O in the evening.

Last edited by IanG; 07-27-2014 at 07:56 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

I used to be ADDICTED to diet coke. It was nuts. Then I finally cut it out and stuck to drinking straight up club soda. I added a bit of lemon/lime at first but now I just drink it plain - cans are the best, don't as me why. I love the stuff, mostly because I think i'm addicted to the carbonation though. I also drink a lot of plain non-carbonated water, but I actually like it - there's nothing more refreshing. I think if you just give yourself some time you'll end up loving plain ol' water, especially on a really hot/dry day lol. Once in a while I'll have a diet coke but it tastes NOTHING like it used to, and it's actually kind of gross to me now..
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I ADORE my Soda Stream. My sister got it for me for my birthday and it is my favorite thing.
I did buy some of the bottled add-ins, but just an orange one and a cranberry one. I use a few drops in a glass and it add the tiniest hint of flavor (and probably 10 calories) but makes the water interesting to drink. It seems the recommended serving would make the water sickly sweet.

If you get the Soda Stream get a few extra of the bottles so you can have cold seltzer in the fridge. It is so easy to use and so nice to have.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I love just regular old water, but sometimes to switch it up I use one of those Mio (or generic brand) flavors. They come in a lot of different varieties so you should be able to find one you like. In general, I do like ice water better than regular water. I find it a lot more refreshing, and somehow I think it tastes differently? I don't know, maybe it's just me. But maybe you would find a flavored ice water works well for you
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:32 PM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

I sure envy you GordonGirl : )
I use Mio, only the Peach Mango flavor. I like to avoid chemical additives but figure it's better than not drinking at all. It also satisfies my sweet tooth.

I just bought a water infuser. It's a glass pitcher with a filter screen at the mouth. You put fruit inside and fill with water. The screen lets you pour out hte flavored water, like a tea infuser. it works well. I've enjoyed using cucmber/lemon/mint leaves, and also strawberries. Someone else recommended watermelon/mint.

Here's a link to that thread. I posted a picture of the small one, now I have a bigger one.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/food...r-infuser.html

Last edited by mars735; 07-27-2014 at 09:35 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Herbal iced tea is always good... and lets be real, its pretty much just water. I love the Tazo passion fruit iced tea.

Or try fruit infused water. If you hated cucumber, try something else... you can seep a pitcher of water with watermelon, raspberries, mint leaves, blackberries, strawberries... anything. It adds sweetness without adding chemicals or calories.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #8  
Hi there

S/C/G: (HW 215) 208/T/145

Height: 5' 5"

Bunch of ice, splash of lemon.
SunnyMathChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I have a soda stream and I love it. When I first kicked my diet coke habit I switched to seltzer and I admit I didn't like it much. But I kept at it and soon enough I loved it. I don't add any flavorings just straight up bubbly water.

A habit can be broken.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How about herbal teas? When I don't want to drink plain water or lemon water, I usually drink iced herbal tea.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

My personal opinion is that drinking huge amounts of water is overrated. I live in the desert, so I do drink a lot of water because it is super hot here. If I lived in Newfoundland, I'll bet I would drink way less water.

Are you wanting to drink water instead of something else because you are used to having a glass/cup in your hand? Are you trying to get off caffine and hoping that your mind will be ok with a glass of water intead of tea/coffee? Or, is it sweetness or artificial sweetness of soft drinks that you are yearning for? You might need to address what ever it is you are craving, not how you can drink more water.

For me, giving up caffine is not an option, so I drink coffee. I like carbonated water, both plain and flavored. I like lots of ice in my drinks which may be a function of living in the desert. What I am trying to say - LOL - is be kind to yourself. If you can't live happily for the rest of your life drinking only water, drink something else! I can see why you might want to eliminate the soda, but if one a week keeps the cravings away, do it!

AS ALWAYS - just my opinion. I am good at losing weight, but bad at maintaining. Who knows, maybe if I gave up coffee, I might be able to maintain, but I would be miserable.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 169/142/120

Height: 5'1"

I like plain water, problem is I'm so busy throughout the day that I tend to forget LOL! hold on, getting water :P
ok, but yes, the Mio and nestea squirt thingies are ok too,
I used to drink diet 7up like it was going out of style but I kicked that habit 2 months ago and already feel better. I think the carbonation was messing with my digestion

Last edited by whopoopwrasse; 07-28-2014 at 01:46 PM.
whopoopwrasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #13  

Height: 4'11"

I think you just have to drink it until you get used to the taste, and cutting out other drinks will help you. The only water I like is Evian, but it's so freakin expensive! I LOVE it though, it is delicious. I don't like any of the stuff you can add to your water, so I'm trying to learn to like it straight.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #14  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
My personal opinion is that drinking huge amounts of water is overrated. I live in the desert, so I do drink a lot of water because it is super hot here. If I lived in Newfoundland, I'll bet I would drink way less water.
It's been between 30-34 degrees (Celsius) here for over week. In my area of the province, we only deal in extremes -- cold as **** in the winter, hot as **** in the summer. And the humidity....oh neon baby Jesus on a pogo stick, the HUMIDITY. When you add in the 95% humidity we've been having, it actually feels more like 40-42 degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailr42 View Post
Are you wanting to drink water instead of something else because you are used to having a glass/cup in your hand? Are you trying to get off caffine and hoping that your mind will be ok with a glass of water intead of tea/coffee? Or, is it sweetness or artificial sweetness of soft drinks that you are yearning for? You might need to address what ever it is you are craving, not how you can drink more water.
I don't drink coffee or tea, but Diet Pepsi is my diet soda of choice, so yes, I am trying to get off the caffeine (well, along with the artificial sweeteners.) I think what I miss about soda when I try to increase my water is the bubbles. I don't really miss the "sweet", because I don't drink regular soda anyhow. So that's not it. I really think it's the carbonation I miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail42 View Post
For me, giving up caffine is not an option, so I drink coffee. I like carbonated water, both plain and flavored. I like lots of ice in my drinks which may be a function of living in the desert. What I am trying to say - LOL - is be kind to yourself. If you can't live happily for the rest of your life drinking only water, drink something else! I can see why you might want to eliminate the soda, but if one a week keeps the cravings away, do it!
I picked up a bottle of sparkling water yesterday (it was mandarin orange-flavoured) and, honest to god, it was the grossest thing I'd ever tasted. EW. I don't even know what to compare the taste to. It was bitter and....the best way I can describe it is that it tasted metallic. It was just gross. And yeah, I suppose one soda a week won't kill me. *L* I have it on my "cheat night" (Saturday night).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gail42 View Post
AS ALWAYS - just my opinion. I am good at losing weight, but bad at maintaining. Who knows, maybe if I gave up coffee, I might be able to maintain, but I would be miserable.
It might just be your opinion, but I'm grateful for it! Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:25 PM   #15  
Up and at 'em...again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpossible View Post
I think you just have to drink it until you get used to the taste, and cutting out other drinks will help you. The only water I like is Evian, but it's so freakin expensive! I LOVE it though, it is delicious. I don't like any of the stuff you can add to your water, so I'm trying to learn to like it straight.
I drink tap water. *L* The water in our town is the cleanest in the entire province -- people come from other towns to fill up here, for god's sake. *L* So I don't even need to buy bottled water. You can *literally* drink our municipal water right from the tap. It's amazing.