View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #189
LaurieDawn

Height: 5'5"

Lisa! So glad you decided to join us. You and Robin in particular were the two that I followed when I initially joined, and I remember asking you questions about running that allowed me to enjoy it as a form of exercise for the first time. It's harder with two babies, but you know how to do this, and I am excited to watch you succeed.

Jessica - I do elbow planks, and by the time I am done with my 90 seconds, almost every muscle on my body is shaking. I would be in awe of anyone who could do the plank circuit you describe.

Mandy - As always, I am impressed by your foresight. But can I say I am also impatient for your weight to drop below 300? Such a HUGE milestone. It's pretty great that you recognize that you need to focus on the big picture instead of immediate results, though. And it's totally working.

LotusMama - Good to see you back here. Wondered where you went, and hoped that you'd be back.

Diane - You said exactly what I was thinking. Having people go through this with me generates so many good ideas and thoughts I would never have considered. Side planks and thinking of food as my friend rather than enemy have been on my mind. Lisa's joining us helped me re-live my joy of discovering running. And you resisting the root beer floats while you barrel up to a huge milestone gives me someone to relate to as I struggle with work food. It's kind of awesome.

Uber - Those set points. No scientific data to support them (at least that I've seen), but such a common occurrence for people. I'm sorry you've smacked into one, but it will be so great to see you come through on the other side of it. And congratulations on the writing career. I have done freelance writing for a long time now, and have made a little bit of money from it, but it's wonderful to know someone who is succeeding at it.

Taryl - Staying on plan in the midst of constantly raging hormones and food cravings is tough. But you really do have your priorities straight. Baby first. Food plan second.

So, it seems like the husband has decided to lose weight with me. He won't admit it, but he's eating healthier food and smaller portions of it, and is exercising more frequently. And I don't like it at all. How stupid and selfish is that? He used to be a power lifter and has these amazing biceps and shoulders and back muscles. The only place he really carries any extra weight is his stomach and a bit in the hips. At most, he is 30 or 40 pounds overweight. With the amount of muscle he has, he will be able to make small adjustments and get the weight to come off much more quickly than I can, and he already has so much less to lose than I do. I don't want to be the fat girl with the buff guy, and I don't want to be in a competition I know I will lose. I especially don't want him to believe that he's losing faster than I am because he knows more about it than I do.

So, I am taking a deep breath. I do want him to be healthier. His healthier eating choices make things easier for me, and I enjoy hitting the gym with him. I am excited that his kids will receive the residual benefits from that. And I am telling my inner spoiled, selfish brat to just shut up. This is a good thing, and I will celebrate it as such.