Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 21-27

Where are the early birds today? On vacation? We had a busy weekend of taking the kids all over the place.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

<sigh> . . . This early bird was is so wrapped up trying to get his plumber to answer the phone that he forget to start the weekly thread. Thanks for having your head on your shoulders, paperclippy.

My only maintenance task right now is to maintain my cool while life depends on a plumber. And not to try to snack my way out of water pipe problems.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thanks for starting the thread Jessica. I was involved in dead baby bird disposal - the raccoons got the baby robins that were in a nest on our front porch pillar. Evil things!

I hear you about the plumbing Bill. I have been waiting 3 weeks to have the outside tap replaced but every plumber I call seems to be super busy. It can't still be work from the ice storm damage last December. Maybe they have a big backup from people wanting renos? Out water is metered now so I'm going to be looking at a fair-sized bill for this. SIGH.

But I get to live in a great house. Got to keep that in mind. I'm having the front landscaped and they should be done by the end of today or tomorrow. I feel bad for the young guys working - no shade and it's going to be 30 C and full sun all day today. I have given them access to the house, A/C, and have stocked the fridge with water and G2.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

No plumbing problems here (well at home) but a few weeks back DH and DS went up on the roof for the quarterly cleaning of the solar panels and found that one of our evaporative coolers had a leak. A leak so bad that we had moss growing on the roof and something else had sprouted. A few weeks later I noticed that the ceiling in one of the bathrooms under said cooler was discolored from the water. We called a roofer (the one that did repairs when the solar panels were installed) to come and look at it. No reply (but now we're on vacation so we'll have to wait another week). I'm kind of worried about another bout with mold from the leak.

And I'm kind of bummed that I didn't investigate rental cars more thoroughly. Turns out we could have rented a Tesla! Although then I'd be all worried about finding charging stations. I also wonder about the cost...
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm drooling over all the Teslas I see around but I bet it would have been a very pricey rental!

I'm off to London Wednesday and am in the full throes of packing and panicking. My weight is way up rather than down but I'm not surprised. Stress over the trip, asthma, sciatica, special events.... I have a myriad of excuses! Hopefully I can somewhat keep my head in London and not have a free for all.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #6  

I went from having not enough work to having too much in one go. This week is totally . Almost got bitten yesterday by a dog I was supposed to walk while his walker is on vacation. Not giving that one another go at me.

Today one of my walks is with youngsters all under 4 years old. I'm going to grab some water toys, let them all go at the off leash, and have confidence in my dog handling skills. It'll be too hot to leash walk them. Should be scary fun!

Dagmar
Old 07-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, Oh no that you almost got bitten. Jeez! Bite the hand that walks you.

I've got just 3 more days in Monterey. Sure have loved it out here. DH is here this week and we are going to bike around tomorrow.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:23 AM   #8  

Question domain squatting?

All of you web heads could you please advise me on how to look something up? Apparently someone who is posing as a dog trainer is piggybacking on people's websites and redirecting their potential clients to his own site. How do I see if he is doing this to my website please?

Thanks!
Dagmar
Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #9  
Workin' It

I have no idea how to look up people redirecting from your website, Dagmar. It is a horrible thing to do, though. Who hosts yours? Could you ask them to check?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I have no idea how to look up people redirecting from your website, Dagmar. It is a horrible thing to do, though. Who hosts yours? Could you ask them to check?
Someone on one of the dog forums told me to go to "godaddy.com" and put in my website. It's not available, nor are the others with different extensions, so I'm pretty sure I'm fine. The guy doing this was an aggressive creep on one of the dogwalkers forums and was asked to leave after a few days of inflammatory posts and challenges to all others on the site.

Brave new e world we live in I guess.

Dagmar
Old 07-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #11  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Dagmar, My husband says the easiest way to check is to view your website from someone else's computer and see what it looks like. He also says that if you download the Epic web browser (epicbrowser.com) it has a proxy feature that lets you surf through one of their proxy servers so no one can tell who's viewing a page. You could check your website "incognito."
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Dagmar, My husband says the easiest way to check is to view your website from someone else's computer and see what it looks like. He also says that if you download the Epic web browser (epicbrowser.com) it has a proxy feature that lets you surf through one of their proxy servers so no one can tell who's viewing a page. You could check your website "incognito."
Thanks Andrea and thanks to your husband too.

Dagmar
Old 07-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #13  

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, I don't know about how anyone does that, but I think Andrea's advice sounds correct.

I leave tomorrow to fly back home to Florida. This has been an amazing four weeks! I was so lucky to be able to stay here. And in a week I have to be back at school for preplanning. ��

I am very curious to get on the scale after all this time. I feel like I should be the same because I have exercised so much. But this last week with DH here I have also drank and eaten a lot! I may wait till Monday am because of the long flight on Saturday. But knowing me I won't be able to wait. I have been jogging with some walking intervals for about five-six miles almost everyday. Then today we also did a hike and I walked along the bay so I walked 15 miles according to Fitbit! Think I deserve another glass of wine!

DHs wallet was stolen on Wednesday, and we got a call that a tree in the back yard was struck by lightening today and is threatening to fall on neighbors house late tonight. But we can't really do anything from here about it and since we get home tomorrow, I'm just praying nothing happens. We went by the airport today to make sure that he can get on the flight without an id. We have to get there really early and supposedly you can do it if you I have a check book or anything with your name and address on it. He may be staying here until I get home, get his passport from safety deposit box and fed ex it out to him! Surprisingly none of this has upset us, we are just enjoying the weather and relaxing time together! The day his wallet was stolen we had rented bikes and there was a horrible accident where a man and his son were hit crossing the street. I just kept saying thank God it's just your wallet and nothing physical.

Last edited by CalCounter1003; 07-26-2014 at 12:09 AM.
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning! I've been so busy I didn't see this thread. Not enough hours in the day at this point.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote