Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 07-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Preventing loose skin

Just looking ahead ( wink ) is there any way to minimize/prevent/ exercise to help with loose skin after large weight loss? I'm hoping that mine will be minimal but trying to prepare myself. I've googled images ( wish I hadn't) and now my mind is a little freaked.
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 377/350/180

Height: 6'0"

I think its best not to obsess, and just lose weight in a healthful manner. Obsessing about it doesn't really help at all... some people swear that exercising, losing weight slowly, drinking all sorts of water help. But other people have done all those things and still have issues. So my take on it (and I still have a lot to lose) is just to take it slow because that's what will work long-term for me. Hope for the best and try not to let it discourage me.
silentarctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I've been pretty lucky.

Working out has helped.

Fish has helped.

Age has helped (I'm 39, not 60).

And genes have been on my side (elastic skin).
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 279/257/180

Height: 5'7"

Cheddahcat, I know exactly what you're talking about. I saw those pics on the internet too. I also have a friend who went the gastric bypass route, and she was very lucky with her skin's elasticity. The only place she really has any extra skin that you see is her arms, and she wears some kind of girdle looking spandex thing that goes up to her boobs from time to time when she's wearing something slinky to keep it from clinging to anything. I don't expect to ever be on the cover of Sports Illustrated, but I would like to be able to go to the beach without leaving an extra line in the sand left by my dragging cankles.
HeeHawHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #5  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

I think it depends on the person, age,how much weight they've lost, etc.
I lost it fairly slowly (about 2 1/2 years) and I worked out (gym hiking, weights). But I still have extra skin on my tummy and inner thighs, which isn't noticeable with shorts and a t shirt. Don't freak our about having loose skin! I'm healthier now than I was at 299 pounds

Last edited by kisskiss; 07-20-2014 at 09:45 PM.
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote