Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-17-2014, 03:12 PM   #1  

Default Exercise Embarrassment Tears

So near tears right now. I am down six pounds over these last three weeks. Which is good, right? The weather has been awful so no walking. Well, today is nice so I think to myself that I should get hubby's bike out, pluck the baby in the baby seat, and ride.So what if I haven't ridden in 10 years. But of course the whole thing is a huge nightmare. First of all the bike was parked in a shed that, unbeknownst to me had a HUGE freakin yellow jacket nest in it. I am not allergic but being stung by that many bees would have been really bad. I barely escaped with the bike and my life. Then I am so fat that I couldn't left my leg high enough to get over the bar to actually get on it unless I laid the bike on it's side. Then of course the tires needed air and my weight practically flattened the whole tire. So I had to get off while my son put air in the tires. So then the indignity of getting back on the bike again. I had to waddle the bike up the driveway (my driveway slopes down to the house and there was no way I could actually peddle up the hill.) Then the baby was really too big for the seat but refused to get out so I'm peddling with his feet in the back of my knees. My teenager trying to give me "helpful" advice about shifting gears. Then things were okay as long as my road stayed level. Of course roads do not stay level, do they? No. I am so fat that I can't even make it up small little slopes. I had to stop twice. Almost dumped the baby and myself into a split rail fence and was gone all of ten minutes...I feel really ****** about myself right now. It was so embarassing having to have my son have to give me encouragement. I am a lousy mother.
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM   #2  
Le Petit Papillon

S/C/G: 169/165/139

Height: 5'5"

Hang in there!
LePetitPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #3  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Wow, I think I read my story of 5 years past me, minus the son and instead of yellow jackets it was a salesman.

Honestly, I went to buy a bike dealt with jerk faces, bought it, aired the tires, fought to get on it, and then... why can't my legs take me up the smallest of hills? You want to hear something crazy, I biked every day for about 45 minutes after that for 2 weeks still feeling pain, my bum hurt so bad (who designed those seats) and then one day... I like... didn't even notice I was going up LARGE hills, and that 45 minutes easily faded into hours. I found bike paths, new trails, buddies, events... and suddenly biking was easy. It took a lot of pain, a lot of trials... and I wanted to throw it out the moment I started... but I figured it was better to get on the bike, than constantly wish I was able to do it.

It is SO hard in the beginning, of anything we do. Once we plow ahead, it gets easier. New jobs, new diets, new exercise, new dates, new friends, even new moms I'm sure feel the pressure and panic at the start. Then... it's like easy after a while.

Get on the bike again, trust me, when we haven't biked in a long time, the hills are painful, not just for people over weight, even thin people feel that pain in the legs trying to go up hills if they haven't worked their legs in a while. Keep at it, soon you'll be going over them in no time.

You can also try different exercise to get in shape first if you prefer. Strength training or 30 DS is a good one, then once you are more in shape, maybe the bike will seem like cake.
kurisitaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 272/192/140

Height: 5'7"

The initial embarrassment is over. Get back on that bike! You got this. Baby steps.
thinin08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

Don't be upset hon! it's always hard in the beginning but just don't stop and keep going! our fight with weight is long and hard, but the result will be amazing! stay motivated and don't get upset. Kurisitaru said right thing! ride a bike! i love it!;-) good luck hon!

Last edited by Gingerjv; 07-17-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #6  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

It's weird how different we think. The only thing I could think of is why in the **** are you putting your baby in danger by putting them on the bike with you when you haven't ridden in 10 years?
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisitaru View Post
Wow, I think I read my story of 5 years past me, minus the son and instead of yellow jackets it was a salesman.

Honestly, I went to buy a bike dealt with jerk faces, bought it, aired the tires, fought to get on it, and then... why can't my legs take me up the smallest of hills? You want to hear something crazy, I biked every day for about 45 minutes after that for 2 weeks still feeling pain, my bum hurt so bad (who designed those seats) and then one day... I like... didn't even notice I was going up LARGE hills, and that 45 minutes easily faded into hours. I found bike paths, new trails, buddies, events... and suddenly biking was easy. It took a lot of pain, a lot of trials... and I wanted to throw it out the moment I started... but I figured it was better to get on the bike, than constantly wish I was able to do it.

It is SO hard in the beginning, of anything we do. Once we plow ahead, it gets easier. New jobs, new diets, new exercise, new dates, new friends, even new moms I'm sure feel the pressure and panic at the start. Then... it's like easy after a while.

Get on the bike again, trust me, when we haven't biked in a long time, the hills are painful, not just for people over weight, even thin people feel that pain in the legs trying to go up hills if they haven't worked their legs in a while. Keep at it, soon you'll be going over them in no time.

You can also try different exercise to get in shape first if you prefer. Strength training or 30 DS is a good one, then once you are more in shape, maybe the bike will seem like cake.
You are right of course. I am just being crabby and whiner because it is that TOM. I actually chose the bike for a couple of reasons. I figured riding would be easier on the knees, the wind from riding would keep me cool, and the hills would give me more of a cardio workout since power walking and running hurts my knees. My knees were a little sore, but it was the pounding of my heart and the thought that I might have a heart attack that made me stop so often. I could barely catch my breath on the hills. It didn't help that the baby put me off balance.

Stupid salesmen. I bet I know the type, the ones that look super sleek in their biking gear and helmets. I have a group of men who bike together past my house on the weekends, about twenty (one of them rides a sit down bike) and I am at turns envious, mean spirited, and wistful. They are probably ALL bike salesmen! LOL And yes who invented those seats!? The wedgies are crazy! So what can I learn from the experience? Maybe go without the baby? Maybe before my husband goes to work? Bring water. Don't park the bike in that shed....

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
It's weird how different we think. The only thing I could think of is why in the **** are you putting your baby in danger by putting them on the bike with you when you haven't ridden in 10 years?
*eyebrow raise* I was feeling really confident before I went riding. It was something that I used to enjoy and I figured the baby (he's not really a baby anymore we just call him that because he's the baby of the house) would enjoy doing it with me because he enjoys doing it with his father. He was strapped in and had a helmet. I felt confident when we first got going. It wasn't until the hilly parts that my confidence eroded..I was feeling better..now not so much. ..
Old 07-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #9  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

After reading your original post, I'm full of admiration at your determination! Any one of those things could have been reason to up and quit, but you kept forging ahead and got on the bike for 10 minutes after a 10 year furlough - that's awesome! And the fact that your son was helping you along says to me that he's had a pretty decent mom raising him right. Just keep going.
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #10  
it's always something

I think it's great that you had the courage to ride after all this time! That's a good sign that things are going in the right direction, even if your first ride didn't go as planned. Now you know the baby fits in the seat, your tires are properly inflated, and you received a few 'helpful tips' from your teen. That all means that the next time, you'll be much better prepared. Everything has a beginning, and this is yours. Good luck with your next ride, please update us
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #11  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Cattails, I agree with you. I too was impressed and inspired by 2salads. Don;t let the naysayers derail you.
Go for it gal. You can ride like that bike and own your accomplishments!
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #12  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
I think that was a really rude comment to make. She is obviously here feeling bad and looking for support. Why bother posting a comment to just make her feel worse?

2salads When I first got my bike I was so scared that I wouldn't remember how to ride, look stupid, wouldn't be able to go up hills, etc... and it was hard going at first. But soon I was loving every minute of it. I had to give up my bike when I moved and I miss it so much I literally cried. I loved that bike lol. I would give anything to have a bike right now.

Just hang in there! Try to plan out less hilly paths and just focus on enjoying yourself. Maybe get the other kids out riding their bikes with you and make it a family affair. You can do it!
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:45 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2salads View Post
I am a lousy mother.
No you are absolutely not. NO.

A lousy mother would never have even tried, she would have just stayed on the couch all day. Please, don't let your first experience discourage you!!

The first time I ever ran outside I took off in my neighborhood and within SECONDS I was huffing and puffing and I was back in under 10 minutes. I was so discouraged and embarrassed. But I kept at it.

That was about 3 1/2 years ago. Up until my recent pregnancy, I was running (without walking) up to 8 miles, and running between 9-10 min mile for shorter distances. (I little slower for those long runs!)

Please please please don't give up. I know how awful you feel now, but it will get better I promise.

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 07-17-2014 at 07:46 PM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

Awww...don't give up. I see lots of people walk hills, even the ones who look fit around here. I walk them myself. You will be super proud of yourself if you keep at it...all the little improvements will make you cheer! (and if you don't cheer, we will).
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 291/ticker/154

There IS one really great thing about riding up those hills.....you get to come DOWN on the way home Keep trying!
LesMillsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote