Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat July 14 - July 20

My goal for the week was to get some items done without snacking my way through them. I got them done, but used snacks like crutches. Yay and Ouch.

Today needs a trip to the library to return a stack of books. I do love any excuse to drop by the library. And I like easy items on the to-do list.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My husband is also an avid library user Bill. I can never get through the book quickly enough to return it on time so have given up on that. But we still get free DVD's and CD's. Toronto still has a decent library system, despite Rob Ford's attempt to gut it.

I took a big hit this morning. Went on an interview Saturday to possibly walk 2 dogs. That's a BIG deal for me in these times. She decided, with my input, to send one dog back and I was supposed to start with the other today. This morning she emailed me to say she was sending both dogs back as they had "issues". Most dogs from rescue do - there's a reason why they are there in the first place. ARRRGH!

I'm only 2 weeks into the advertising push so I'm not despairing. But this was a big blow.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

A rainy day here. I have cracked a laptop problem with the help of the household rapid response tech support unit (DB). The offsite unit (SO) did not manage to isolate the problem. And I had already spent too many hours of my life on it, not getting anywhere.

Is the advertising push for six weeks, Dagmar? Is it just in one cinema or more? And is it backed up with flyers and/or business cards? (I've decided to go for a website at long last. I don't think it will necessarily attract brand new clients but it will give those who are already interested a bit more information.)
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
A rainy day here. I have cracked a laptop problem with the help of the household rapid response tech support unit (DB). The offsite unit (SO) did not manage to isolate the problem. And I had already spent too many hours of my life on it, not getting anywhere.

Is the advertising push for six weeks, Dagmar? Is it just in one cinema or more? And is it backed up with flyers and/or business cards? (I've decided to go for a website at long last. I don't think it will necessarily attract brand new clients but it will give those who are already interested a bit more information.)
Six months. The ad runs in the local cinema in the area where I work. It's backed up by my wearing a logo t-shirt every day to work, magnetic signs on my vehicle, postcards delivered every 6 weeks, redo of the website, and me glad handing and passing out business cards whenever I can. I have also put up cards in various public locations - pet stores, vet, library, etc.

Dagmar
Old 07-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Crikey! That should produce something! Very GL.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Today I am rewriting a piece that I worked on early last week for analysts in Japan. Some of the sentences are extremely difficult to decipher, as I just recognize a few nouns and verbs. I gave them a pretty decent-sounding rewrite, but at the end of the week, they asked me to do it all over again, only with track changes in Word to show what I'd worked up. With some non-native speakers, I simply rewrite without track changes as I've found from past experience that it helps them save face and they get less upset over extensive markups. I do not know how they will take this work, but it's slow-going. In this rework I'll be less about making this sound excellent and highly professional and more about pedestrian correctness. Maybe that will work.

Mother's heading home today after staying for a week. We had a nice time over the weekend but my issue with her visits is unchanging, that she is not very good at amusing herself with a book or magazine, or venturing out on her own, so she requires a lot of tending. And if she chooses to visit when I don't have any time off, well, all I can say is, it reminds me of what some of you who work with long hours and also have children probably experience routinely.

In other news, I finally borrowed the first season of "Breaking Bad" from our wonderful library system and watched it through -- easy to do, as I believe there were only seven episodes due to a writers' strike in 2008 when it aired. This show has NOT been overhyped. I had no idea about the black humor, though, or the gorgeous landscapes and cinematography, and the extremely strong sense of place. Also I think I have developed a slight crush on the drug dealer character of Jesse Pinkman, a skinny blue-eyed middle-class white boy who emulates da thug life. He's just so dumb and emphatic and fast-talking and contrived ... he's fascinating. As is, of course, Walt, and pretty much everyone else. Must get hold of Season 2 once I return from next week's business trip.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:54 AM   #7  

saef Breaking Bad is as fascinating and entertaining as everyone says it is. DH and I followed it faithfully through all the seasons and episodes and it continued to hold our interest throughout. I was particularly taken with Walter White. Is he a nerdy pushover who discovers he has a secret talent and is forced to become a villain to support his family? Or was the villain already there, waiting for the opportunity to seize the reins of power and destroy all those in his path? MUAHAHA!

Dagmar
Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

I didn't watch Breaking Bad. I feel like I've missed out on the educational program of this decade.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I loved Breaking Bad and often wonder if I have the time to watch it again. We own the whole thing on DVD.

There are other series that I did not watch that I feel as if I should have. The Sopranos, especially, but also Buffy the Vampire Slayer as I understand it had quite a following. I remember watching Gilmore Girls with DD when she discovered it in middle school or high school. Those were a lot of fun.

Leaving in less than a week for Napa and my sleepless nights are getting worse. We have a bit of a kerfluffle over getting a new state contractors license and I don't know if we can get the paperwork submitted before we leave. I KNEW this would be the biggest obstacle and I was right. DH seems unperturbed (which just makes me more perturbed).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #10  

Height: 5'7"

Allison, I find that if I know my DH is worryng about something I just drop it from my list because I know he's worrying about it. I know he will handle it. I think he does the same with me. We both seem to pick different worries.

Went to visit a friend from many years ago who lives 3 hours from Monterey this weekend. Had a blast but my gosh it was so hot there, Monterey weather is just amazing. Going to Portland to visit my sister tomorrow for a few days.

I've been walking/jogging almost every day here and am going to hate going back to FL where it's just too hot. Plus I'll be back in my routine so don't have time to do like I do here. Oh well, still have about 12 days left so need to focus on the great time I'm having and not the end of it!
CalCounter1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCounter1003 View Post
Allison, I find that if I know my DH is worryng about something I just drop it from my list because I know he's worrying about it. I know he will handle it. I think he does the same with me. We both seem to pick different worries.
I wish it were that simple! I worry because it needs to be done ASAP and we've already lost two weeks and we're not guaranteed we'll get it out before we leave for vacation so there goes another two weeks. We cannot do any of the other stuff we need until we get this license. DH has clearly put this in my court to handle--therefore he is not worried about it. He doesn't understand the repercussions on my part if we don't get it in place before escrow closes. Basically we won't be able to do any work! And I cannot obtain new city licenses without the state license. Right now I'm relying on my insurance broker to find the correct bond we need to proceed. I just hope he finds out soon...
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm got a little crush on Jesse Pinkman myself! I still haven't finished the whole series but I'm in the last season. It's just hard to find time to watch at the moment. Funny to say because I'm off for the summer but I'm keeping very busy and don't want to watch in the evening when dd is home.

Allison....I can only imagine your stress levels now. I'm getting very stressed about preparing for my trip to London. I feel like it's too early to start packing, yet I'm freaking out that I haven't started packing!

Lunch with a dear friend today, Pilates with dd tonight....
Later this week I've got a baby shower that I'm co-hosting (hence much to do), a massage I finally gave in and scheduled, and the dachshund picnic in Carmel this weekend! Dh returns Sunday from China and we will be busy getting ready for our trip!

I had another niece born on Saturday (now have 3 nieces and one nephew). They live in Hong Kong so I don't know when I'll meet her.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

"Jesse Pinkman" went to my DD's high school. As a real person, he was kind of dorky, according to her, but I understand many actors are. Actually, doesn't it seem like most of the time the not-so-popular kids in school turn out better than the popular kids? Reminds me of Springsteen's song about glory days. . .
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

all!

Allison, good luck with the licensing. So many hurdles for small businesses!

Michele, congrats on the new niece!

Cal, yes, enjoy the moment. I haven't been in the northwest corner yet and it's really high on my list. That's wonderful that you get to spend some extended time there!

Dagmar, that's quite the advertising plan! Sorry the rescues didn't work out. Will think "more business" thoughts for you.

Only series I've watched with enthusiasm is "24", which ended very loosely again this season (just in case they can give Kiefer Sutherland enough money to do it again). I have heard nothing but good things about "Breaking Bad" - from acting to production to music. Feels like I ought to carve out time for it. DS is reading "Unbroken" for the summer. I read a blurb that says the movie will be out Christmas Day, directed by Angelina Jolie. The word is that it's going to be a winner (many Oscars). That, I imagine we'll go see.

How'd it get to be mid July already?
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 AM   #15  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Argh, I typed up half a reply then hit the wrong button and it got deleted! Sigh. Anyway, to follow up on last week's thread, the vet behaviorist we met with recommended we try working on retraining him for 30 days and then make a decision about whether to euthanize or not. She confirmed that Carter is not adoptable due to liability issues. She also suggested if we have no improvement in the next two weeks that we try changing his medication. Her suggestions included how to work on training him for some things (teaching him to back away on command, rewarding him when he is calm and quiet while he's gated away from us, working on down stay and leave it), and she suggested trying a pheremone collar and possibly a basket muzzle as well as keeping a leash on him at all times. We tried keeping the leash on him but he just whines constantly until we take it off. Sigh.

We'll see how it goes. I'm trying to do my best by him but it's not looking good right now. We have gated him away from the babies during their mealtimes which helps a lot, but he's so pushy that once we start doing any kind of training with him he will start whining and barking as soon as we go to do something else and stop the flow of treats. We're trying to reward him when he's being calm and quiet. He's great once the babies are in bed, so it's extra frustrating that he can't just relax and be like that all day. In any case I do feel good about having a firm date of when we will make a final decision.

The other interesting tidbit from the behaviorist: apparently the whining is characteristic of German Shepherds. So now I know, Dobermans are prone to spine injuries and German Shepherds whine all the time. As much as I love Carter, I think I will stay away from those breeds next time! (Not that I had any idea that's what he was probably a mix of when we got him, since he just looked like generic mutt, but still.)

Dagmar -- we tried the thundershirt with Carter but it doesn't help at all for thunderstorms. It helped a little bit for other stressful situations but not much.

Saef -- I watched part of Breaking Bad but decided it was too depressing to bother watching the rest. I had the same problem with Six Feet Under. Also once I tried watching 24, but it was so intense that I was exhausted from being at the edge of my seat constantly so I gave up on it. I like my entertainment to be relaxing!

More upheavals at work going on right now. It will all work out in the end, but I may have to wait a couple years for another chance at a leadership role.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote