Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 AM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Ups & Downs Support Group: July 2014

Hello and to the Ups & Downs Support Group July 2014 thread! We named the group "Ups & Downs" to reflect the many ups and downs of the weight loss journey, of life with depression (and, for some of us, on meds), and of life in general. Anyone who wishes to give and receive support on your weight loss journey is welcome to post and join in the conversation! For our "regulars" ~ please post and let us know you made it to the new thread. We have a lot of really POSITIVE support happening here at the moment. Let's keep it going! GROUP HUG!!!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #2  
I can do it!!!

Smile Check In

Sorry I didn't write Sunday night as planned. We didn't get home from the lake until late and I was exhausted. I am keeping so busy, but we all did take a family swim tonight with the lights on in the pool. It was fun and I did several laps. I am embarrassed to say that I am just now learning how to swim freestyle correctly, so I am working on that right now. I have always swam breast stroke style, but I want to start doing freestyle laps, because I think it will be better exercise for me. My daughter and I will work out with our trainer first thing in the morning. I did get some walking and bike riding in at the lake over the weekend. Food is my biggest challenge right now. I feel like I have an endless appetite often lately. Many of you are tempting me to try low carb again, but I just don't think I can do it for the long haul and I have about 75 pounds to lose. Just working on healthy choices and portion control. Portion control has always been a struggle for me.

Sabrina: I am keeping you in my prayers during your job search. I sure hope you find the right job for you soon! I am confident that you will. Happy that you were able to visit with your brother-in-law in prison. Sad about people stealing his stuff and attacking him. So glad he was able to defend himself! That really sounded scary! Hope you find a good counselor if you decide to go that route. I highly recommend it. I would be totally lost without my therapy and meds (and, of course, my faith), especially during my lowest points.

Fi: Hope the BERP is coming along well!!!

Has anyone heard from Holly?!? I am getting a bit worried about her. I hope all is well. And Trish, where have you been?!? Please write and update us soon, ladies! We miss hearing from you!
Old 07-01-2014, 05:57 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 199/189/155

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone!

I love jumping in on these threads at the beginning of the month. Sometimes it can get overwhelming to try to catch up in the middle.

IBelieveInMe2: I apologize for not knowing your name! You seem like you had a nice weekend. It is great to hear that you are so active. I see a lot of people waiting "until" before they do things. It is so encouraging to see someone who is active and having fun and not just waiting "until." I am sure you will get the hang of freestyle swim in no time! I know for me that exercise helps IMMENSELY with my depression and anxiety. I can tell a big difference between the days that I do my two mile walks and the days that I am less active.

Today I am going to the doctor to have a minor procedure. It will be the first time I have been weighed since I started counting. I have been for almost a week, so I am hoping to see a tiny drop. But, I won't be too disappointed if it isn't dramatic.

I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety at work lately. This is something that I always struggle with. If my feelings get hurt, which is sometimes not difficult to do, I want to sit in a corner and cry into a bowl of ice cream. Ugh. So yesterday, I was feeling under appreciated. I am the only part time employee at work, which does come with perks (my schedule is more flexible than full time, for example), I miss out on a lot of the full time benefits. It is the end of the fiscal year, so the full timers are getting bonuses. As a part timer, I do not get one. It was so so so so difficult to listen to everyone talk about what they were going to do with the extra money. And while I don't exactly need the money right now, we are actually coasting pretty well, hearing all of that brought up a lot of jealous and hurt feelings. My logical brain knows that I am appreciated and that I get away with a lot more than full timers, my emotional brain gets offended. So yesterday, there was even ice cream in the freezer at work, but I avoided it while I was feeling down and just rode through my feelings. Which - by the way - is nothing short of a miracle for me. Woot! Eventually, the feelings subsided for the most part and I found it easier to handle without emotionally eating.

Ok, I think I have talked enough about myself. :P How is everyone?
hannahbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I had a really bad afternoon yesterday. When I went to eat my lunch I discovered that I had forgotten to pack the cheese for my salad, and I absolutely cannot eat lettuce without cheese. So I just ate the chicken and bell peppers. Totally not enough food. And I had also forgotten to pack a protein for my snack, so I just had a few more peppers and cucumbers to eat. Needless to say by the time I got back home I was so hungry I was starting to feel a little sick. So I didn't end up accomplishing anything...not cooking, exercise, anything, just laid on the couch and ate pizza quiche to keep from starving. Plus my back started acting up again. Now today my back hurts even worse, and it is making me nauseated. I took my heating pad to work with me so hopefully that will help my back some. As much as I wanted to start up yoga this week, with my back going wonky, that isn't a good idea. Yoga really helps it in the long rung, but it makes it pretty sore the first week or so, and with it already weak...

The good news is that I made my first mini goal. One down, 9 more to go.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:40 AM   #5  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Ibelieveinme2- Thanks for the support! Prayers always appreciated! Glad to see you're really working on your swimming. I can swim pretty well, but the breathing is what trips me up. Though I probably look like a doofus, I use a snorkel when I do laps in the pool at the gym. It's the only way I can get a good swim workout in, otherwise I can't breath well and can hardly swim a lap that will get my heart rate up.

hannah- Welcome!!! Sorry to hear about your work issues. I get the same way at my job. Very emotional and upset. I'm very unhappy where I am and it makes working so hard and depressing. Great job on not eating the ice cream! That's a very good accomplishment!

Monte- So sorry about your back! Definitely wait the pain out before you start yoga. I know what you mean about being sore, it is doesn't look like you do a lot, but it definitely works you. Hope the heating pad helps. I know it is my lifesaver when I have back cramps.

As for me still waiting to hear something about the jobs.. Praying oh so much. I'm at the quiet desk today at work which means not much work. It beats working the shelter front desk any day and I savor the times I'm here. Two more days after today and then a 3 day weekend with family! Woo!

I'm excited and scared because I will be out of my food element. I feel like I've been doing great watching my carbs, but being away from home will definitely limit me. Hopefully I will stay strong! I don't want to regain what I've already lost.
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #6  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!

hannahbeanies: to the group!!! Glad you posted. I hope your procedure at the doctor went well today. How was the weigh-in?!? Sorry to hear that you are experiencing a lot of anxiety at work, but that is GREAT that you didn't give into emotional eating!!! I agree that is no small feat!

MonteCristo: So very sorry that you had a lousy afternoon yesterday! I hate it when I forget to bring necessary things with me on the road. So important when you have a planned menu, too! Please don't beat yourself up about not accomplishing anything! We all have those days. Let it go and start over NOW. Sorry also that your back is hurting so badly. That makes everything worse. Just focus on doing WHAT YOU CAN right now. The yoga can and will wait. CONGRATS on meeting your first mini goal!!! Focus on that..... the POSITIVE..... and hang in there! Things will get better soon!

Sabrina: I hope you will enjoy your 3 day weekend with family and not worry too much about your food. Is there any way you can PLAN AHEAD to have low carb options available? That might take away your anxiety about it. I sure hope you get that call you have been waiting for regarding a new job! Still praying for you!

I did more freestyle laps in the pool today. I am not doing tons of laps. Just easing into it. Also worked out with my trainer this morning, which was an accomplishment in itself because I woke up with a dreadful migraine. Felt better, though, after my workout. Thank God! I have been getting a lot of migraines lately. They usually come in clusters for me, and lately I have threatened one nearly every day. I try to keep up on head, neck, and back massages, because ~ along with my migraine meds ~ that is the only other thing that helps. It gets expensive, but I can't afford to NOT get them anymore. Food was also good today, so an overall great day! I have not weighed myself in awhile. I am afraid to do so. I expect a maintain, but would LOVE to see a few pounds (or more) off the scale!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #7  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Just checking in. We haven't left for the farm yet because I've been struggling with bad depression pain. Maybe today will be a better day.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:30 AM   #8  

IBelieveInMe2 : So glad to hear that you had a good day yesterday. I am sorry that you are experiencing migraines. Chronic pain like that can really be a burden on a person and completely change their quality of life. I am glad to hear that you are investing in yourself and your health by getting your much needed massages. Sometimes we have to spend a bit of money on ourselves, although I know that can be an anxiety trigger for some people with depression.

MonteCristo : I am sorry that your afternoon did not go as planned. I know that when I get hungry enough to where my blood sugar drops and I get nauseated, that is a binge waiting to happen. It looks like you made the best out of a bad situation. Don't beat yourself up for letting your body rest. It may be exactly what it needs right now! Back pain is another one of those life debilitating pains that is hard to imagine having to struggle with. I admire you for your strength to see through the struggle. Also - congrats on meeting your first goal! Way to go!

Sabrina : You will be just fine! Enjoy yourself and your holiday. Do the best you can with your food. I believe that you will be able to get through this holiday without regain.

Fiona : I do hope you feel better today. I am very sorry to hear that you are going through a downswing. Keep us updated.

My appointment and procedure went well. I lost 5 pounds! My goal is to be down another ten in 6 weeks when I have to go back for a check up. Work was better yesterday. I didn't do as well with the food as I have been. I didn't record my food or calories. However, I was actively aware of how much I was eating, which is much better than where I was before. I will jump back in today!

I hope all is well for everyone. I gotta get ready for work!
Old 07-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #9  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

79-degrees and 68% humidity and it is only 9 a.m. I am about to do another closet purge since my new size 18 jeans arrived yesterday. I can donate the 22 and 20s now. Although I'm not going to slow my weight loss efforts, for the sake of my budget, I hope these jeans fit me longer than the 20s did. Given projected temps into the 90s and tropical humidity, I'm trying to decide whether or not to hit the gym later. I'm on my second mini-vacation of the summer and, given my workout-induced asthma, I really shouldn't try to ride the bike today unless it really cools off this evening. I don't want to risk getting out of the rhythm, so really the best thing to do is hit the gym. Yes, I'm trying to convince myself...
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all the encouragement. Back still hurts, but it is down to a manageable level, not nauseated, just indigestion. Still on a heating pad, and forgoing exercise for the time being. Of all the things to pass down through a family, why did ours have to be neck and back pain?

Still losing steadily dispite the planning fiasco and lack of exercise. Aside from the pain, I'm feeling pretty good. First person noticed my weight loss yesterday, so that was nice.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #11  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

I can't believe it! I woke up this morning, did some art-related stuff, and not a trace of depression reared its ugly head. So all I need to do is pack, and get Bob out the door, and we will have a little vacation at the farm. Getting Bob out the door will be the tricky part...

Hannah— Welcome to the Ups & Downs thread! Thanks for the support—it always helps—and good for you from refraining from emotional eating. I'm afraid I did a bit of that while I was down, but it was just an extra helping of my usual sugar-free muesli w/ cream, the only carbos (other than salad) in my diet. Oh, and by the way, you can call me Fi, and our fearless leader (IBelieveInMe2) has the beautiful Irish name of Kathleen.

Worthy— I don't blame you for staying indoors, if the heat & humidity bother you. (I'm from Houston, so I'm permanently used to it. =smile=) Take it easy and enjoy your mini-vacation.

Kathleen— Sorry to hear about your migraines: I hope the meds help. Way to go on doing those freestyle laps!

Fleur— Good luck staying away from the carbs during your weekend with family! Did you try that slow-breathing technique for improving willpower I explained in the June thread? It really works for me—so long as I'm not depressed, that is.

MonteCristo— So sorry to hear about your back pain: I hope it eases off soon, and that the heating pad works.

Gee, I hope Holly checks in with soon. I know she's really busy, but I miss her!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #12  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

I did it! I made it to the gym and did 90-minutes on the crossramp elliptical. According to MyFitnessPal, I burned over 1200 calories!
worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:57 PM   #13  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi there!

Way to go, worth the effort! Good for you!

I'm sad to be leaving Nantucket tomorrow to head home. I am looking forward to seeing my guinea pig, Snickers on Friday when I get home.

Have a nice afternoon!

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:26 AM   #14  

Worththeeffort2 Woohoo! Way to go! That is great!

Fi I am glad you are feeling better. I hope you enjoy your mini vacation!

Amy Missing pets is definitely the worst part about being away from home. Have a safe trip back!

Antonia I am glad you are feeling a little better. Hope your pain is at a more manageable level. Good for you for still losing despite your challenges! That is encouraging.

Yesterday's food wasn't so good. Still kept track of calories, but I was so exhausted that nothing could satisfy me. Getting plenty of rest is a must for me or I am miserable and sad the next day. Normally, I don't have an issue with getting sleep (my problem is usually too much sleep!) but me and Shane (my significant other) got into a fight the night before and I couldn't get to sleep. He is going through a downswing in depression himself. I feel so selfish but sometimes it is so much more difficult to deal with a partner's depression than your own. It is much more painful to watch. I want to help so much and make it go away but logically I know there isn't much I can do other than be as supportive as I can be. I just get so worried.

I think I should start journaling again. I always notice a difference when I start and stop. Starting my day with morning pages gets me off to a good start.

I hope everyone has a good day!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #15  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

Ibelieveinme2- I got in the pool the other day, but I didn't do any laps. Lately I've just been jumping in after my weight lifting routine in order to cool off. It feels so amazing to get in there when I'm hot from a workout. Glad you got some laps in!! Sorry to hear about your issues with migraines. My brother gets them really bad as well and has actually been out of work for the past 6 weeks due to them. He was admitted to the hospital and everything. When I was younger they thought I had migraines and treated me accordingly. The treatments and medicines never worked. Come to find out the whole time I was having tension headaches instead. I was given a new medication and that really helped. I haven't had a massage in a long time other than when hubby rubs my neck, but really would like to start getting them.

Hannah- So glad your procedure went well and you've had a great loss!! Way to go!! I always feel proud when I'm able to keep my eating under control!

Worththeeffort- Oh that humidity sounds awful. I can remember tennis practice in high school when it was humid. The sweat just would just stick to you. It was awful. Awesome job on getting to the gym and doing such a long workout! I can't do the elliptical for very long, otherwise my feet start going numb!

seabiscuit- I bet snickers misses you! When we go home for visits we bring our dog and cat, but leave them with my parents when we go to visit his parents. In the short time that we're gone I miss them and they miss me!

As for me I weighed 182lbs this morning. So no gain or loss in a few days. I'm not really planning ahead for the weekend, but will just do my best to avoid bread. I guess my game plan is to fill up on veggies and meat. I WILL have wine though and some of the sweet treats my MIL makes. I will watch portions and just be mindful. I'm also planning on using the total gym at DH's parent's house on saturday for my workout.

Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July!
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote