Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #1  
Just watch me ...

Default Hard-boiled eggs

OK, basic basic question. It's been ages since I've made hard-boiled eggs, but made some yesterday because I want to get out of my breakfast bagel habit.

How do you make them so the egg shells don't pull off the white? By the time I've gotten all the egg shell off, there's very little egg white left, because the shell is sticking to the white.

What to do
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I always have more trouble trying to peel fresh eggs. When I've had the carton nearly a week, it's much easier. Also, you can add a bit of salt or baking soda (I prefer baking soda) to the water to help the shell come off more easily.

Now you've got me thinking about eggs! I might have to go make some...
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

My solution is the same as Jez, plunge them into cold water right away.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #4  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

The older the egg, the more naturally they will separate. We have super fresh eggs (our own chickens) and have to save the for weeks before hard boiling them. But that is about the same amount of time it takes for store bought eggs to reach your house.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #5  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I have read of tricks of adding salt, white vinegar and/or baking soda to make it easier but older eggs are best and right after an hour of being in ice-cold water for easier peeling.
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhale15 View Post
OK, basic basic question. It's been ages since I've made hard-boiled eggs, but made some yesterday because I want to get out of my breakfast bagel habit.

How do you make them so the egg shells don't pull off the white? By the time I've gotten all the egg shell off, there's very little egg white left, because the shell is sticking to the white.

What to do
Pour the hot water out of the container they were originally in , fill it with cold water instead and let the egg sit in there for a few minutes , crack the shell against a hard surface then peel .
SaraBobera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM   #7  

Much as noted above but crack them against side of container right away so cool water can seep in. Then when completely cool use a gentle thumb rolling motion to peel them. If you feel it start to pull the lining is probably tearing so get your thumb under that again.

Last edited by tommy; 03-27-2013 at 10:24 PM.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 AM   #8  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Bizarre. My experience is completely different from what everyone else has said - I find they peel better when warm than when cold. I put them in cool water until I can just barely handle them without burning myself and the shell slips right off.

Also, did you know you can BAKE eggs in the shell for non-boil hardcooked eggs? (I was so terrified to try this...I thought the eggs would explode! But it really does work.) Just put the eggs in a muffin tin (1 egg per hole) and place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 350 degrees and cook for 20-30 minutes. (Your time will vary somewhat based on your oven. You'll have to experiment to find the best time.) Quick and easy and they taste more rich and creamy than boiled ones.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #9  
Just watch me ...

Thanks guys
Exhale15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #10  
No description available.

Novus, I had heard that and was too scared to try it! I'll give it a shot.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

I have started making mine in the oven. Just put them in muffin pan in the oven at 325 F for 30 minutes. Yes, it takes longer but I can just set the timer and walk away. No need to stand over the boiling pan. After I take them out of the oven I put them in ice water for 10 minutes. Also I can make a dozen easily for the week or so.

* Missed Novus's reply. They are creamier texture.

Last edited by Mara; 03-29-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #12  
Rachel

S/C/G: 295ish/278.4/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Also, did you know you can BAKE eggs in the shell for non-boil hardcooked eggs? (I was so terrified to try this...I thought the eggs would explode! But it really does work.) Just put the eggs in a muffin tin (1 egg per hole) and place in cold oven. Turn oven on to 350 degrees and cook for 20-30 minutes. (Your time will vary somewhat based on your oven. You'll have to experiment to find the best time.) Quick and easy and they taste more rich and creamy than boiled ones.
I will be trying that!!!

I only recently started making hard boiled eggs, but I've had consistent success with my process: I let them boil for about a minute, then turn off the heat, & cover the pot for 9-10 minutes. Then I put them in a bowl of ice water for 20 minutes. To peel them, I take a knife & tap the egg with it to make a lengthwise crack all the way around it & then I can remove the shell pretty easily without removing the good stuff.

How long can hard boiled eggs be kept? Sometimes I forget about them & end up with a few leftover at the end of the week & I never know how long they'll stay good.

Last edited by Keep Moving Forward; 06-07-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Keep Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #13  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I got an egg cooker - called Henrietta Hen - and use that to make hard boiled eggs. I could never quite time them right when boiling on the stovetop. I just read the baking method up thread, but it is too bloody hot this time of year to ber messing with the oven.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #14  
*Shakes fist at regain*

S/C/G: 150ish/ 114 / 109

Height: 5'

I must be buying older eggs because I rarely have this problem.

I do put them in cold water for a few minutes after they're done; maybe that's also why. Yes, that's what I'll tell myself.

The way I boil: Put them in the pot with water, once the water boils set the timer for 6 minutes, turn off burner, let them sit in the water a couple of minutes, then drain and add cold water.

I've never heard of baking them. I'm def gonna try that!

Last edited by crispin; 06-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.
crispin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/189/140

Height: 5' 5"

One more addition to the "how to's" regarding boiled eggs -- a fun LAZY way to make Easter eggs is simply add the food coloring and vinegar to the water you boil the eggs in. Of course, they're all one color -- unless you grew up on a farm like I did, with lots of fresh eggs -- and also lots of siblings! -- so your Mama would boil several dozen for us to hide and then eventually eat.
OK Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote