Old 07-10-2014, 07:32 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #85

Good morning to you all. Another sticky, sticky day here. We are definitely stuck in the 90's now, which is ok but the humidity drives it up over 100. I am glad Jack is not working outside lately or in the blower building, which is below ground and no AC.

Going to finish up the house with the dreaded dusting today then start it all over again in a couple days. I have a load of laundry in right now and it sounds like it is about done and ready to go into the dryer.

I ordered a pair of flat heeled black dress shoes and a couple pair of Clarks thong type sandals and a new handbag a couple days ago and looks like they have shipped. I bought a cute pair of navy and white ones that are nautical looking and all white ones since I don't have any white sandals. I just threw in the handbag because I an a handbag junky. I also ordered purple glitter, multi glitter and a golden yellow polish and can't wait to try them out. I think I will take the yellow next nail day and have them put that on.

I am making chilimac for dinner tonight though it has no beans it in. Jack won't eat chili or this with beans. This is pretty simple and not really chili anyway. I used 90% gr sirloin, tomato sauce, onions and spices and that's it pretty much. He doesn't like tomato pieces so I don't use canned tomatoes or anything like that. I will make us each a nice salad though he will probably eat just cucumbers and onions with ff Italian on it, which he prefers. He eats a slice of garlic toast, I bypass that for fruit instead. I am having some fresh cantaloupe.

Maggie: Sorry I didn't see your great loss. WTG!!!

Jean: You need to find some kind of cloth bag to stick the whole thing in and sit it beside you when you knit. I don't blame you, I think I would get bored with it too. My niece FB messaged me a bunch of questions about knitting the other day. She says she needs a hobby and wants to start knitting again. She is making a blanket so we shall since since she is a newby and wants to do stripes.

Everyone have a great Thursday. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 AM   #2  

Good Morning! It's another cool, sunny, no wind, morning in my corner of the world. Plan for the day is to research cookie recipes, make a list, and head to the store. Will make one kind today, one tomorrow, and one either Saturday or Sunday. I need them for a meeting on Monday, so for once will be ahead of the deadline! I'm sure I can find some laundry to do if I look around.

"Gma," thanks for starting the new thread. I can't help but wonder when our hot weather will surface. We usually have a couple weeks of 90+ but it's usually been here and gone by now. Crazy, crazy weather! I have several pair of Clark's thong sandals in different colors; for once they carried the same style over from last summer. I really like them. How many handbags do you have? I have several that I don't use any more, and they are headed to the SOS Store. I started out keeping the yarn and afghan in a small Rubbermaid box, but now have it in a larger square paper box from the church office. If I leave it on the floor one or the other fur person thinks it's a marvelous place for a nap. I sit it on a footstool when I'm not working on it and then they leave it alone.

I need to get my day going. Have a great day and enjoy a terrific Thursday!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. Yippee it is Friday which means one week closer to our trip. We are actually leaving on Thursday morning in Sept, but breaking it up into three days as it is easier that way.

Kelly and Tom leave today on their cruise. Their 17th wedding anniversary is tomorrow so they are on a 4 days Bahama cruise. The mother in me is nervous having T as the house by himself. He won't get into trouble, I just worry about someone breaking or whatever. In this town you never know even in the ok parts of town. We are taking him to dinner tonight for his birthday, which was the 25th and I am just giving him a card with a $100 in cash in it.

Today is a quiet day around here I think. I got caught up in stuff and never did get the downstairs dusted so have to do that today. Other than that not much else to do except do up dishes from breakfast and lunch.

Jean: I have probably 50 or so. I love handbags what can I say. Some of them I bought and never use because they are too small, but I keep them just in case I have an occasion when I want something small. I have this really cute one Jack bought me several years ago from a mall kiosk. It is totally square like a box, pink plaid cotton with tiny red lady bugs on it and it has fuzzy stuff around the top. It is brand new because it is so small inside you can hardly carry anything, but I just cannot part with it as it is just too cute. Most of my usable bags are huge. I mean like 16-19 inches wide huge. I carry all kinds of stuff in them including my knitting, Ipad and such that they are convenient. I like what they call hobo bags best. Here is the one I just bought. It came in 4 or 5 colors, but I decided on this one as I don't have a bag this color. Wonder why cats like yarn so much. I guess it is just tempting it sticking out from a ball down to your work and looks like fun to paw at.

You all have a great weekend. I have a mall walk sometime this weekend, a grocery run and have to go to the Apple store and take in my Ipad. The screen is jumping all over the place ie I may be reading a book and it jumps three pages ahead or back or may be at a website and it jumps from the top to the bottom of the page. Everything I googled said to take it in since it is under warranty. Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jadebag.jpg (18.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #4  

Good Morning! It's a cloudy cool morning in my corner of the world with just a tiny breeze. The weatherman keeps saying we are going to get "severe" storms, with hail, today. I hope not as our crops are looking good, except for the flooded fields. My last tray of cookies is baking. I will frost them this afternoon after I do cat chores. One more cookie batch tomorrow and I'm ready for Monday.

"Gma," Happy Anniversary to Kelly and Tom! Are Tom's parents still living across the street from them and/or does Thomas know neighbors well enough to ask for help if needed? I always think of electrical or plumbing snafus. I have a clutch purse made out of snake skin; it's black and white. Bob sent it to me when he was Vietnam. I really like the one you chose. Does it have a center zipper? That is a biggy for me because my purse usually ends upside down on the car floor quite often. Hope the Apple store can fix your iPad! Enjoy your mall walk this weekend.

The timer is going to buzz so I better be ready. Enjoy a fantastic Friday and be thankful for your many blessings!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #5  

Good morning gals. I have the ac off at the moment, but it won't be long and it is going to have to be turned on. We are supposed to be 95 today.

We are leaving around 10 AM and going to the mall to walk then onto Walmart as I need a few things then back home. Tomorrow I have an apt with Apple about my Ipad.

We had such a great time with Thomas last night. He is such a sweet kid and we laughed a lot. My husband had us in stitches because he ordered a sirloin steak and asked how many sides and she said two and ask him what would he like. He said, "Oh, I haven't looked." So he looks down and sure enough there is a list of the sides. What cracked us up is he ask the waitress if "this" was macaroni and cheese and he pointed to the side which said "mac and cheese!" "lol" He then ask her if he could just have double mac and cheese and she said sure. Thomas and I razzed him all through dinner and when his dinner came Thomas in a straight face pointed to the two containers and said, "This and this is macaroni and cheese." We just broke up laughing including Jack. He is taller than I am now and I kidded him about having to put up with socks every year from me. He said, "They are very nice, but they don't stretch so you make them for me and I grow out of them right away." Knitted socks are made for the particular size of the foot so....Anyway he said he is wearing an 11 and is almost into a 12 so I have to make sure the ones I am making for him will be long enough.

Jean: He put my mind at rest as I ask him about eating and staying at the house and going out and running, etc. He told me he is eating at Nana's, sleeping at Nana's and he runs in loop in the neighborhood and, "Nana worries about dad and I running too." I told him that is what grandmas do. He had ordered pasta and took a lot of it home as it was a huge order and said it would be good for this weekend as he had a long run. I ask him how long and he said 10 miles! So, yes Jean, his other grandparents still live across the street and he is staying there overnight so I feel a lot better about it. I ask him if he ran with his phone and he said he did and I told him I had emailed him my phone number so to put it in his phone in case he fell or and turned his ankle or something and couldn't get ahold of Nana he could call us. We talked about why he gives his mom fits shopping. I thought it was because he is really picky about what he wears but he said no that he hated shopping. So, he isn't going to be calling me wanting to go to the mall. I ask him about his girlfriend and he said, "No, I probably will never see her again since we will be going to different high schools." Brave kid as he has no one he knows at the new high school. None of the kids he went to jr high were picked for White Station and no one from his boy scout troop either. He went to freshman orientation and really liked it. He is taking all sophomore courses this fall. I asked him when he gets to be a senior what is he going to do if he is a year ahead. He said there are over 30 AP (advanced placement) classes so he is sure he can find something by the time he gets to 12th grade. He has already taken algebra, a year of Spanish, freshman ap English, etc.

Well girls time to go. Have a nice Saturday. Faye
Old 07-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #6  

Good Morning! We have had some rain but the sky is looking lighter/brighter so I'm hoping the predicted thunderstorms will go around our area. Bob is leading a county fair tractor ride over hill 'n dale this morning. He will drop out after lunch and head home so we can make the late afternoon, outside, wedding for the agent in his office. It is on a farm site and will be in the barn if necessary. I'm hoping to go early and get a seat because the bride is expecting 300+ to attend! Have the last batch of peanut butter cookies to make, laundry, and cat chores on my agenda for today. Cat chores and church tomorrow round out the weekend.

"Gma," I've never ordered mac and cheese in a restaurant but notice the grandkids have. It never looks like what I make at home, which sometimes is pretty box simple. Glad you had such a good time with Thomas and that he will be "safe" while his parents are away. I didn't realize knitted socks wouldn't stretch. I bet his new school has some sort of association with a college or university that advanced students take college classes while still in high school. We do, and several start out as college sophomores right out of high school. It's a good deal because the classes are free unless the student fails the class and then they have to pay for it.

I need to get started on my cookies! Hope the sun is shining on all of you and you enjoy the day!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. It is going to be another hot one here today. I have to take my Ipad in this afternoon and it is over in Germantown so we will leave here a half an hour early.

I got my handbag yesterday. Wasn't supposed to be here until Monday and so the gate was locked. They threw it over the fence. Glad it didn't have anything in it breakable! It is pretty big. I always look at the dimensions, but this sure seems larger than those. It is great though as it is a tote type so it opens up wide, which I like. Easier to find stuff. It actually has a middle zipper pocket and a side zipper pocket and two smaller sewn in pockets on the other side and a zipper on the outside too so plenty of storage. I use one for my lipsticks, glosses and such as I carry around about 6-7 different colors. I also use a pocket for pens and the other pocket I always put stuff I don't use a lot and my keys. I have a small bottle of liquid no soap hand wash on my key ring so it is bulkier. It s nice bright colors though so will be nice for vacation if I take it.

Jean: Yummm, pb cookies. I always liked the pb cookies that had sugar on top. I don't eat a lot of sweets, but occasionally I like them. If you see on FB I shared this post for an in the cup choc chip cookie. It looks pretty good. I could substitute sugar for truvia and even the choc chips for sf chips if I wanted to as you can buy good tasting sf choc chips now. Hope Bob has fun on his tractor trip. Have a good time at the wedding!

Talk to you tomorrow. Have a dr apt in the late morning so we shall see how that goes. faye
[/COLOR]

Last edited by gma22; 07-13-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #8  

Good Morning! The sun has been in and out this morning and the humidity is on the rise. The sun is rising a minute later and setting a minute earlier now. *sigh* We've been to church, changed clothes, and are waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. I have cat chores after lunch and may visit the Hallmark Store as this is the 2014 Christmas ornament weekend. We are counting one person short, at church, tomorrow so hope we balance on the first try.

"Gma," I like outside pockets on my purses too. One can never have too many pockets, although I have had to search looking for things when there are more than a couple. I didn't put the sugar on my PB cookies this time. It seems like every one is watching the calories. I did see your recipe on FB and wondered if it has to be eaten with a spoon. There was another cookie one a day or two ago, but I think it might have been baked in a regular oven. Most of the tractor ride was in the rain but the guys all had rain suits. Bob's farmer friendly met him at the lunch site and they traded places. Rich drove the tractor and Bob brought Rich's pickup home. As we sat waiting for the wedding to begin, the rain sprinkles fell. A variety of different umbrellas popped up and the photographer was taking pictures of us! In the end the sun peeked through the clouds and the wedding began 15 minutes late. A half hour later there were no clouds in sight and full sunshine. We saw several people we knew so visited and toured the flower gardens while chairs were moved to the tables where we ate. The buffet lines were set up inside the barn which had the tiny lights and lots of wedding and family pictures on the walls.

Coffee is ready so I'm off to read the paper. May you all enjoy a super duper day!
Old 07-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #9  

Good morning to you all. Already in the 80's this morning and supposed to get more rain today and tomorrow. I think we are supposed to have a couple cooler days then with highs in the 70's.

I have a dr apt today so we shall see how that goes. I haven't been losing like I have liked and have stuck to WW pretty much. I do know the hormone thing wreaks havoc with my losing weight. That and the medications I am on.

Today was weigh day and I am down 4.2 lbs.

Took my Ipad to the Apple store and of course it wouldn't act up there like it does at home. She ended up doing a total software re install which dumped everything. The only thing bad is it dumped all my favorites and weight loss and everything in my points diary. I am having to start over putting them back in, which is a pain and of course it took forever to reinstall all the aps, but it did go faster plugging my Ipad into the PC and going through ITunes. So it hasn't acted up anymore so we shall see if that is the problem.

We are having an issue with the garage door and it is driving us nuts. When it gets hot during the day then the thing won't open all the way. We can't figure out why though it has to be something in the electrical part of it the board or something. He replaced a capacitor a couple years ago when he had to replace the springs and it did it after that in the summertime. I told Jack he should unplug it and let it sit unplugged for a minute or so then plug it back in and see if that resets it. I am not putting out more money before our vacation, period!!

Jean: Glad you had a nice time at the wedding. Have you seen the disgusting things that the wedding party is doing nowadays with their pictures? I saw it on FB the other day. They have their pictures taken of their dresses pulled up with their fannies all hanging out towards the camera. A couple of them the girls had no panties on at all. Why would you do such at thing? They even said there were kids at the no panties wedding. I am hoping we don't get a gully washer today. We still have some areas with a lot of water from the last big rain we had.

I guess I should get some breakfast so I can get upstairs and take a shower. You all have a great week!! Faye
Old 07-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #10  

Woohoo got back from dr and I get to drop the insulin. They may put me on Junuvia which may help with my weight loss. She said the insulin could be keeping me from losing weight like I want.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon! It's been a cool, windy, sunny day in my corner of the world today. We balanced on the first try at church today. There wasn't much so it didn't take long. I picked up the gift shop money and Bob made that deposit on his way back to work after lunch. Went to the P. E. O. meeting this afternoon with my cookies. Have cookies left over to put in the freezer. Ick! I have a deli pizza to bake for supper and plan to spend the evening camped out in front of the tv.

"Gma," on another GREAT loss this week! You are really on a roll! The BEST news is about the insulin! I'm sorry about losing all your stuff on the iPad but hope the reinstall fixes the problem. The other day, when I left to pick up Bob, my garage door wouldn't go down. When we got back home discovered the electricity was off. It came on just as Bob was calling the electric company. There was some movie (?) on during prime time with nude people running around. The vital parts were fuzzed out but I was sure glad I didn't have kids watching as I surfed channels. I'm glad I don't have to censor programs for kids, some of the violence and sex is awful. Our wedding pictures look just like everyone else's who got married in the same era we did. I will be anxious to see the ones from this wedding.

I need to get the oven preheated for our supper. Relax and enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 07-14-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #12  

Good morning to you ladies. Our temps are going to be down for a couple days, which is nice but looks like more rain headed our way. We had a thunderstorm here last night and since Rizzoli and Isles is on tonight I hope we don't have another one as it will disrupt satellite more than likely.

I am having to keep track of my blood glucose fasting in the morning and 2 hours after dinner for a week to see how I will tolerate getting rid of my insulin permanently. My blood glucose after eating needs to be under 180 and fasting under 130. Well, 2 hours after eating, which is when you take it, my blood sugar was 104 so I am good for sure. They won't take me off oral meds for a long time I am sure, but getting rid of the insulin is a big deal for me.

Today I will start to clean downstairs again and then do upstairs tomorrow more than likely. Thursday I want to go and get my nails and toes done and get whatever we need from Walmarts.

My shoes should be here today and I sure hope the dress shoes fit and are comfortable. I read all the reviews on them and people praised them including people who have arthritis in their feet and such so hoping they work ok for the cruise. They cost enough so they should feel good.

Jean: We are having meat loaf, scalloped potatoes and salad for dinner tonight. I am going to mix it up early and stick it in the fridge. I have corn to shuck and strawberries to get hulled today to besides getting the house cleaned.

You all have a good Tuesday. Faye
Old 07-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #13  

Good Morning! The sun is shining, no wind, and it's a cold 48 degrees in my neighborhood! I need to take a check to the hospital and pick up some strawberries for Bob. Otherwise, no plans for the day; there are lots of projects I could work on but will be a "maybe, to maybe not!"

"Gma," I sure hope your numbers stay where they are supposed to be, and you can eventually get rid of all the meds. Bob is sorting and pitching, in his office, to get ready to exchange offices with another agent. Maybe he will actually be retired by the end of the year! His biggest problem is what to do with all the toy tractors and piece of furniture they are displayed in. They are not toys for kids so needs to either move them home ( ) or find someone to buy them. The only place I have is the entry hall inside the front door. Meatloaf sounds good! Wonder if I have time to make one for lunch -- need to get the meat. Hope the shoes fit well and you like them!

I need to get dressed and get moving! Hope you all are warmer than I am, and enjoy a terrific Tuesday!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #14  

Pharmacy doctor just called and she got my A1C back from the test yesterday. It dropped again and is now 5.6!!! She took me off the insulin. I am thrilled.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #15  

YAY!!!!!