Old 07-11-2014, 08:39 AM   #1  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Carpal Tunnel

I was just diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome. Apparently it's more common in women, especially those who are overweight and have pre-disposition for diabetes.... okay - check all those for me. I'm sure typing doesn't help either

Anyway, the doctor told me to wear splints when I sleep but that was it for advice. If anyone else has things that work to reduce symptoms, please post. I've googled info but it mostly just tells what it is and what symptoms are. I was talking to someone yesterday who puts Tiger Balm on at night and this made me realize that I should be talking with people who Have/Had it to get some practical advice

Thanks for any help you have
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I was just diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome. Apparently it's more common in women, especially those who are overweight and have pre-disposition for diabetes.... okay - check all those for me. I'm sure typing doesn't help either

Anyway, the doctor told me to wear splints when I sleep but that was it for advice. If anyone else has things that work to reduce symptoms, please post. I've googled info but it mostly just tells what it is and what symptoms are. I was talking to someone yesterday who puts Tiger Balm on at night and this made me realize that I should be talking with people who Have/Had it to get some practical advice

Thanks for any help you have
I don't know if I actually have carpal tunnel, I have never been officially diagnosed. However, when I do a lot of repetitive motions with my right arm it aches terribly at night. The only thing that brings me relief is putting a splint on. I sleep with my arms under my pillow and my wrist bent so the splint keeps it straight. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world but it works for me. That and Tylenol or an anti inflammatory med.
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I know someone who took glucosemine and condroiten. It takes a while to kick in, several weeks maybe, but it worked for her and she no longer wears her splint. She is a waitress and is constantly carrying trays and plates of food.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 07-11-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #4  
restart 5/27/14

S/C/G: 197.4/161.6/150

Height: 5'5"

I've had it for about 15 years and yes typing does make it worse. I have this thing I wear around my forearm near my elbow. It's a strap with velcro that has a plastic pillow thing attached inside it. I put it on a pressure point on my arm and tight until it feels better. Hope that makes sense. It make the pain better. I wore it for about six months. I got the first one from the doctor but, purchased a new one from the drug store near the knee, wrist braces. I also have one of those wrist braces That have a hard plastic thing in it that holds your wrist in a certain position. I don't have as much pain now. I'm just used to my fingers always going numb. Typing or writing with pen or pencil is the worst for me. Unless you can have surgery you just get used to it and take breaks when your fingers go numb.
jemma51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #5  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Besides the splints, try talking to a massage therapist. I got some relief from massage even though I ended up having both wrists operated on.

Another thing that helped tremendously was switching keyboards (I'm at the computer a lot). I'm currently using a Kinesis Advantage and it has made a world of difference. Here's a link - http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/shop/advantage-for-pc-mac/
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #6  
Member-started IP 3/15/14

S/C/G: 273/183/160

Height: 5' 7"

I've never been officially diagnosed but have pain in my right wrist. I wear a cockup brace each night when sleeping (recommended by my PT friend) and I also go to a chiropractor who does an adjustment and puts everything back in place.
SophieLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #7  
Diane on track July 2014

Bless you all my friends -- so many good pieces of advice already! I will look into a new keyboard for sure, insist my hubby do regular massage on my back, neck and shoulders (I just added that part but he won't know it's not dr. recommended)....
... And I've just changed "dr." to mean "Diane's Regular" people on 3FC so now anything you tell me that he has to do is now officially "DR" recommended ...

Thanks everyone. I feel better already with a few new things to try!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #8  
maintaining since 9/2013

IP43, sorry to hear about it. I had it and was it ever uncomfortable.I had mine operated with good results--just had it on one side. It came on pretty suddenly, along with my rapid weight gain. I didn't know about it being a harbinger of diabetes. Another option for relief, but not cure, is steroid injection.

I wonder ii anyone's had acupuncture for this?
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #9  
Diane on track July 2014

I read on line that ultrasound therapy can help so I may look into that as my chiro has that at his office. Not sure if it's covered under medical plans or not but my husband swears ultrasound healed his ripped shoulder so while I was a doubter I'll give it a go