Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 AM   #1  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default Home of the 90% (Occasional Slip-up Zone) Volume 3

I can't think of a better quote than this thread's originator, AliExpat:

So *&^% happens, we forget, life gets in the way and sometimes we just want to. For whatever reason we taste a morsel that's not OP...we do. We're human and imperfect and that's ok. Some weeks we are on point some weeks we're not. Life isn't linear just like weight loss isn't either. So here's to the 90%, the B students, the Jr. Varsity team!

You're still on your journey, your road just isn't smooth...it has a few potholes.
Here's the link to Vol 2
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...olume-2-a.html

Last edited by mars735; 06-04-2014 at 11:10 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 170.4/157.2/140

Height: 5'7"

In continuing a conversation from the previous 90% thread, I'm only 1 week in and still 100%. I KNOW eventually I will either have a weak moment, or a planned indulgence. I read both threads - the 100% to keep me motivated, and this one to remember that you can get back on track. I'm so early in to it I know it is very important (for me personally) to stay 100% OP, but once the habits have settled in I can't say I will never ever make the choice to have a small indulgence.
NotCoolEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:18 PM   #3  
Started 5/21/2014

S/C/G: 222/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Good Morning! I'm a 90%er and I'm proud of it! Is it ok if I join this group too? I am starting week 3 today!

I have been on this plan for 2 weeks now and I am proud to say that I have not had 1 lick of sugar, no junk food whatsoever. I stick to my planned out meals and snacks. But why I am not considered "100%" is..... I may have an extra slice of onion or tomato on my bunless burger, I might sprinkle a little balsamic (gasp!) on my salad, I might eat 2 whole eggs as my breakfast instead of 1 whole and 3 whites, I might add a little fresh squeezed orange juice and worstershire in my marinade for my skinless boneless chicken breast, I might put a cpl ounces of whole milk in my morning Latte instead of using skim, maybe I'll thinly slice a half oz of real cheddar cheese to put on my salad instead of using that Gross veggie cheese, maybe I'll even crumble up a slice of bacon and put that in my salad too, If I'm in a pinch, I might eat a few macadamian nuts instead of the bag of potato chips on the counter, I might order a ribeye instead of sirloin for a special dinner date with my love...

So see, I may not be 100% following the program to the T...but I am 100% proud of what I am choosing to put in my mouth. I am not eating candy, pastries, cookies, pies, chips, pasta, bread...etc, etc. I don't look at this as an "all of nothing" type of program. Heck even the Man himself says... "The aim is not to follow the strictest diet possible, but rather to go on an effective diet that you’ll be able to stick with as long as possible under the best conditions." There is a reason he said this. And I'm taking that to heart.

Last edited by AZLinda; 06-04-2014 at 01:25 PM.
AZLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #4  
Started 5/21/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
AZLinda!
You will see as you surf the threads that IPers have strong opinions about how to do IP, as well as great info.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about finding a sustainable way that works. The main issue with tweaking imho is twofold: 1. are you (or me or anyone) keeping carbs low enough to maintain ketosis~ Using a tracker can help figure this out (myfitnesspal.com for example). Some of the carby enhancements have alternatives that won't necessarily make you gag

2. The other issue is whether we can avoid the slippery slope phenomenon whereby that little bit of this or that leads to wanting more and more. Some folks can do this successfully while others can't. The process of learning these things imho is what builds up skill for long term maintenance.

Looking forward to hear your progress and more of those gorgeous emoticons!
Mars! Wow! You have done amazing!

I understand completely your points above, and I couldn't agree more.

As for myself, I'm 100% keeping track of my macros daily. As for Carbs, I do not ever go over 30 grams per day. Also will not allow myself to have anything that could possible be a trigger and lead me down that dark, narrow road. Been there done that too many times to mention. No sugar, No starches, No wheat, No grains. Not even a bite. That I am 100% spot on. I know if I ate ANY of those, not only would I run the risk of kicking myself out of ketosis, but I would also run the risk of re-starting those cravings that I have worked so hard to demolish.

Looking forward to getting to know all the 90%ers better!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #5  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLinda View Post
Good Morning! I'm a 90%er and I'm proud of it! Is it ok if I join this group too? I am starting week 3 today!

I have been on this plan for 2 weeks now and I am proud to say that I have not had 1 lick of sugar, no junk food whatsoever. I stick to my planned out meals and snacks. But why I am not considered "100%" is..... I may have an extra slice of onion or tomato on my bunless burger, I might sprinkle a little balsamic (gasp!) on my salad, I might eat 2 whole eggs as my breakfast instead of 1 whole and 3 whites, I might add a little fresh squeezed orange juice and worstershire in my marinade for my skinless boneless chicken breast, I might put a cpl ounces of whole milk in my morning Latte instead of using skim, maybe I'll thinly slice a half oz of real cheddar cheese to put on my salad instead of using that Gross veggie cheese, maybe I'll even crumble up a slice of bacon and put that in my salad too, If I'm in a pinch, I might eat a few macadamian nuts instead of the bag of potato chips on the counter, I might order a ribeye instead of sirloin for a special dinner date with my love...

So see, I may not be 100% following the program to the T...but I am 100% proud of what I am choosing to put in my mouth. I am not eating candy, pastries, cookies, pies, chips, pasta, bread...etc, etc. I don't look at this as an "all of nothing" type of program. Heck even the Man himself says... "The aim is not to follow the strictest diet possible, but rather to go on an effective diet that you’ll be able to stick with as long as possible under the best conditions." There is a reason he said this. And I'm taking that to heart.
Your experience sounds so much like mine! I don't really "cheat" (cookies, chips, ice cream, etc) I just use my judgement on what ingredients to cook with or if I'm stuck without anything OP, then I follow low carb rules just to get through.

Okay, I do sometimes cheat with a glass or two of wine...but I'll suffer the consequences quietly!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #6  
Started 5/21/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskuby View Post
Your experience sounds so much like mine! I don't really "cheat" (cookies, chips, ice cream, etc) I just use my judgement on what ingredients to cook with or if I'm stuck without anything OP, then I follow low carb rules just to get through.

Okay, I do sometimes cheat with a glass or two of wine...but I'll suffer the consequences quietly!
You sound like a girl after my own heart... Glad we are thinking alike on this
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

AZLinda - I am following the same plan as you!
I allow a few cheats that keep me sane - whole milk in my coffee and a bit of sugar free salad dressing once or twice a week, half a slice of bacon chopped up in my weekend omelet. It's about finding a plan that works and keeps you sane!
I have become lactose intolerant since last year when I first started IP, that helps me avoid the cheese!

My biggest struggle with being 90% are the weeks I have no losses - I feel like I can't complain (or I complain and get a lecture about not being compliant and what did I expect). I also don't know what is stalling my weight loss on those weeks. Was it too much fat from quest bars and coffee? was it too many carbs from having an extra cup of veggies? Should I cut out restricteds?

Maybe I need to keep better track of my food and see if there is a pattern for those weeks.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #8  
Started 5/21/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcandponies View Post
AZLinda - I am following the same plan as you!
I allow a few cheats that keep me sane - whole milk in my coffee and a bit of sugar free salad dressing once or twice a week, half a slice of bacon chopped up in my weekend omelet. It's about finding a plan that works and keeps you sane!
I have become lactose intolerant since last year when I first started IP, that helps me avoid the cheese!

My biggest struggle with being 90% are the weeks I have no losses - I feel like I can't complain (or I complain and get a lecture about not being compliant and what did I expect). I also don't know what is stalling my weight loss on those weeks. Was it too much fat from quest bars and coffee? was it too many carbs from having an extra cup of veggies? Should I cut out restricteds?

Maybe I need to keep better track of my food and see if there is a pattern for those weeks.
Nice to meet you! I am so happy to meet others who feel as I do on this subject. I honestly don't think of it as "cheating", just dialing it in a bit and making it custom fit. Even when I did the 100% exactly, word for word as written, there would be weeks here and there to where I would have little or no weight loss. It's gonna happen no matter what, and being women, it's gonna happen more often.

My Fitness pal is a good way to easily keep track of your carbs, fats, and Protein to be sure they are just where you want them, and it is what I use.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #9  
Started 5/21/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
btw, coffee never seemed to stall my weight loss. I drank a lot of it. I also didn't restrict WF products or Mio water enhancer. [I guess I should add that I avoided the restricted bars & chips except for weigh-in day--too hard not to scarf 'em all at once].
Me either..I usually drink a single and many times double shot of espresso in the mornings and then put some in my shakes. I'm with you on the bars. I was checking them all out today when I was out and about and they just seem too much like "glorified candy bars" to me. I just don't trust myself and feel they could easily be a trigger for me. Maybe when I'm further along...I don't know.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #10  
IP start date 12/12/12

S/C/G: 197.6/191.8/150

Height: 5'5.5"

I had the hungry horrors last night! But I ate a bunch of lettuce, a couple of pickles and an extra bar. Then for dinner I sauteed some scallops, scallions and jalapenos in olive oil then added a bit of sherry wine and roasted some asparagus. My weight was the same this morning so I didn't screw up too bad. LOL

Feeling better this morning. Drinking my coffee with my shake as the creamer and settling in at my desk! Have a great day my fellow 90%ers!
mrskuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

Hello all my beautiful 90%ers!!
Yesterday DS had a friend spend the night (last day of school YAY!!) So I ordered pizza and cheese sticks. While I waited to go and get it, I figured if I made my fav dressing and had a nice big ol flavor packed salad I would sans the pizza and feel good. Well I DID!!! HA! HA! I did take a nibble BUT did not eat a slice or bread stick YAY ME!
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 170.4/157.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
You sound like a girl after my own heart... Glad we are thinking alike on this
I'm with you guys - I have no plans to eat cupcakes or bread while on plan. My main cheats would probably be 1) fat and 2) wine. For instance, my boyfriend is a teacher so on the last day of school I'm taking him out to dinner. We're going to a tapas restaurant. I should be able to eat fish and other meat while there, although I'm sure the fat content will be much higher than what I make for myself at home. I'm also going to have a glass of wine. I have, in the very recent past, been a fairly heavy wine drinker so I won't let myself have any until we go out to that dinner (June 20th - only 15 more days! But who's counting?) and then not have any for a while. Depending on how that night goes, and the weigh in after, I may start letting myself have a glass on weekend nights or something, but I know I won't be successful if I drink as much wine as I used to. So it will depend on whether or not I am able to keep it at an occasional glass. If I can't, it'll be back to none except rare special occasions.

Either way I know I'll be phasing off around the end of summer, even if I haven't reached goal weight. My best friend is getting married in October and I want to be able to enjoy the festivities, including the bachelorette party. At this point my main goal is "don't look really fat in a bridesmaid dress".
NotCoolEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233/233/130

Height: 5'4"

I thought today was Saturday

Last edited by sarahBell; 06-05-2014 at 04:46 PM.
sarahBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #14  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
....I have been on this plan for 2 weeks now and I am proud to say that I have not had 1 lick of sugar, ... I might sprinkle a little balsamic (gasp!) on my salad,....I might add a little fresh squeezed orange juice and worstershire in my marinade for my skinless boneless chicken breast,
Just watch for "hidden sugars" Linda -- healthy things like orange juice and balsamic vinegar have lots of sugars in small quantities of liquids. It's great you track on MFP to help keep an eye on these things. I went to eat a jujube -- teeny tiny candy -- and stopped when I realized that "one bite" had tons of sugar in it. Candy is easy to spot but the "sneaky" healthy sugars like juice, wine, balsamic, will throw the insulin cycle we're trying to fix back out of whack just as much as if I'd had my "bon bon" .
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:55 PM   #15  
Started 5/21/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Just watch for "hidden sugars" Linda -- healthy things like orange juice and balsamic vinegar have lots of sugars in small quantities of liquids. It's great you track on MFP to help keep an eye on these things. I went to eat a jujube -- teeny tiny candy -- and stopped when I realized that "one bite" had tons of sugar in it. Candy is easy to spot but the "sneaky" healthy sugars like juice, wine, balsamic, will throw the insulin cycle we're trying to fix back out of whack just as much as if I'd had my "bon bon" .
Thanks, I will for sure keep my eye on it. Yea, I'm with you, sometimes I'm shocked at just how much sugar is in something so tiny