View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #47
pattygirl63

S/C/G: 238/214.8/135

Height: 5'2'

I was reading some posts by Wannabeskinny some other successful Intuitive Eaters yesterday on another thread here on 3fc and I identified so much with a lot of the things y'all said. It has caused me to re-think IE.

Some of you know me because I've posted here before and shared the fact that until I learned diet, I was a "natural" Intuitive Eater. I've tried and tried to get back to eating Intuitively, but I just couldn't get that stupid "Diet voice" out of my head. I was always thinking things like "I have to eat at least 3 meals" even when I was not hungry, etc.

Well something interesting happened last month. DH and I took a trip. I was beside myself because I knew I could NOT follow my diet on this trip for 2 weeks as we would be eating a lot of meals out while traveling and then we would be eating in other peoples homes etc and I would have no control over choices of food.

Finally I made the decision to just eat Intuitively and just do my best. Boy was I amazed at what I have learned from this experience. I couldn't weigh for 2 weeks because I had no scales. I was shocked when I came home and weighed and found out I had lost a little over a 2 lbs. I've been home about 2 weeks, I have really struggled trying to get back on a low carb or low calorie diet and I gained 3 lbs the first few days. I did manage to lose 1 of those lbs, but I have have really fought to hold on to that 1 lb loss.

After reading Wannabeskinny wrote and thinking about it, I realized that the experience speaks volumes for me. It makes to me that since I grew up a "natural" Intuitive Eater before they had a name for it, that IE is the way that I should be eating too. So I have made the decision that since IE is "normal" for me that I Just need to learn how to develop that way of eating and let it become my eating lifestyle again.

I don't think I will be tempted to eat loads of junk foods while learning to eat Intuitively because I never ate them when this was my normal way of eating. And to my surprise, I didn't crave or desire junk foods during the 2 weeks on vacation. It was available. We had a birthday party for my 91 yr old Daddy and my sisters had had a sandwich tray, veggie tray and dessert tray made locally and they added loads of chips etc. My first thought was "oh no" carb city. But later after I got home and thought about it, I tasted a little bit of everything even the birthday cake, but it was only a few bites. Never had that feeling of wanting eat loads of junk. I really did. And that is the way I did the whole trip. I think it is beause I also have learned that I have always liked eating more healthy foods than junk foods. Although I do admit that I do have some snack foods that I do like occasionally.

I also have learned that I didn't always want a "whole" meal some times I just want a few bites (more like a snack) whether healthy or junk foods. That is another nice thing about IE is I don't "have" to eat 3 meals unless I'm hungry plus I don't "have" to think about food all the time.

I probably will mostly lurk here, but just had to share my experience with y'all. So glad to find that IE really does work and that it can and will work for me again.

Trish

If you eat when you are not hungry, you just overate!!!

pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote