View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Truffle

S/C/G: 297/277/197

Height: 5' 4"

Default Bathing suits

Years ago, when my daughter was little, I missed out on a LOT of fun times with her at the beach, just because I would have been mortified to be seen in a bathing suit, or even shorts and a top, because I was so embarrassed about my size--and I was WAY smaller than I am now. Most of the time I was only 20 or 30 pounds above what I wanted to be, and I still wouldn't allow myself to enjoy going to the beach or into a pool with her. We went to the beach only a handful of times while she was growing up, and I was always the one sitting on the beach wearing a pair of black jeans. (!)

Something seems to happen the older you get though; you stop caring so much what other people think. At least that's what's happening with me.

I'm going to turn 58 this summer, and it's been about since 55 that I find myself caring less and less about what people think. If they don't like what they see, they can turn their heads is my feeling now.

I will say though, for anyone who has young children, try as hard as you can not to let the way you feel about your body steal the fun times with the kids. They really do grow up very fast, and you'll miss out on a lot of good times and treasured memories.

I can't tell you the number of activities, both when my daughter was growing up, and even afterwards, that I missed out on simply because I was embarrassed about my size. I couldn't begin to count the number of social activities I've missed out on, and it didn't have to be that way.