View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Truffle

S/C/G: 297/277/197

Height: 5' 4"

Hi, ladies...Just had a chance to get caught up on the rest of the June thread, and there were so many things I wanted to reply to on there, but I didn't know if they'd "quote" on this thread or not.

The Fitbit discussion is very interesting. My sister gave me a Fitbit in July of 2012 (can you believe that I even recorded the date?), and I've worn it every day since, except for maybe 6 days in all that time.

Over the past several months, my Fitbit hasn't been as exciting to wear, and it's even become kind of a burden somehow. Without looking I can now pretty much tell you how many steps I've taken in a day.

Two of my sisters got Fitbits at the same time, but they long ago quit using theirs, so it's no longer the fun competition we used to have among ourselves.

I've fallen into that mindset that was talked about on the June thread too, where you feel like steps have been "wasted" unless they've been recorded.

Many times I'll take the dog out early in the morning before getting dressed, and I'll drop my Fitbit into the pocket of my robe because I want to make sure I get credit for those steps too. It's kind of silly if you think about it.

Another thing that bothers me is an article I read recently about how just using these devices gives prying others the ability to get information about your health habits. We're spied on enough; I don't need to be spied on because of my pedometer too.

So I've been slowly increasing the amount of days I don't wear mine now. Some days I'll put it on, wear it for awhile, then take it back off.

When you think about it, what made us get these in the first place? For my sisters and me, it was because we were all going to start walking a million miles every day, and lose so much weight that we'd become pencils!

Over the last 2 years I've lost a total of 20 pounds, so I don't think the Fitbit has done a lot for me, except remind me to take a break from working at my computer more frequently during the day.

I haven't decided whether I'll quit wearing my Fitbit permanently or not, but for now, I'll probably still wear it most days because I really do like to know just how far I walk in a day.

Last edited by Truffle : 07-03-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote