Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #1  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Default July Diabetes/Prediabetes Support Chat

Welcome to July! Let's continue chatting!
Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Weight was up 1.4 lbs today, but I'm sure it was the sodium from eating at KFC yesterday. I used to like going to that particular KFC because they have a buffet and I can get veggies, but it just didn't taste like it used to. DH was hungry for it and enjoyed it so I guess it wasn't a total loss. The good thing that has come out of it all is that I'm more determined than ever to be back OP plan today. My fbs was 125 and I don't want to see it go any higher. I've got my plan tracked on MFP. Although MFP gives me a calorie limit, I'm not going to pay attention to that as much as I am just going to keep up with what I eat.
I know the calorie limit is a problem for me but I like seeing the exercise counts. The exercise count keeps me exercising.

Here's to a new month chickies. We will get better and better at this as we go KOKO.

Have a great day!!!!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #3  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Well I called my doctor this morning and found out what my A1C was...8.9. Better than the 11 when I was first diagnosed lol so it wasn't as bad as I thought but still oh so not great. Also though I wasn't fasting for the test like I usually do as I didn't realize the doctor was going to do the blood themselves. IDK how much of a difference that makes since they usually make me fast.

My FBS was 162 this morning. I haven't been testing at night so I really need to do that. It was super weird this morning I tried lowering the lancet to 3 instead of 4 and I got no blood at all...zero...nada. I don't even know how that is possible. So I upped it to 4 and barely got enough blood to test. So weird.

On the positive side I took a walk this morning! Just a mile & i am slower then a snail riding a turtle but still I am moving!

Happy July everyone!!

Last edited by moonkissed; 07-01-2014 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #4  
~Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonkissed View Post
Well I called my doctor this morning and found out what my A1C was...8.9. Better than the 11 when I was first diagnosed lol so it wasn't as bad as I thought but still oh so not great. Also though I wasn't fasting for the test like I usually do as I didn't realize the doctor was going to do the blood themselves. IDK how much of a difference that makes since they usually make me fast.

My FBS was 162 this morning. I haven't been testing at night so I really need to do that. It was super weird this morning I tried lowering the lancet to 3 instead of 4 and I got no blood at all...zero...nada. I don't even know how that is possible. So I upped it to 4 and barely got enough blood to test. So weird.

On the positive side I took a walk this morning! Just a mile & i am slower then a snail riding a turtle but still I am moving!

Happy July everyone!!
Fasting does not affect the A1c value since it shows glucose control over a three month period, it does affect individual glucose readings which are more of a snapshot at a specific moment.

On my lancet 3 sometimes does not work too. One day I think it took 5 tries!! I just bought a different gauge box of needles, hoping that makes a difference.

Last edited by Shannonsnail; 07-01-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #5  
~Shannon

Thought I would share this today :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (30.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

OMG Shannon! You got them on! Congratulations! Lately, I have had some painful swelling in the knuckles of one thumb and one finger and I was afraid if my ring finger swelled I would have to get my rings cut off so I took them off. When we were going out on Friday I was going to wear them and couldn't get them back on, even though that finger is not swollen. I know as I lose a bit more I will get them back over that knuckle. I think the joints are hurting because of the psoriasis flare...psoriatic arthritis.

Yesterday I wore my Fitbit and totaled 3,121 steps. LOL Guess I better start moving more. Today, I went for my bloodwork, went for breakfast, went to Kohls then to Goodwill, then to Aldis. All with my Fitbit sitting at home on the dresser! I forgot to wear it. Since my bloodwork was over, I bought myself a box of celebratory fudgecicles. I hesitated because they were 13 carbs and 12 gm sugar, but I figured it's AFTER my bloodwork and it's not something I do on a regular basis. I could have bought the sugar-free but then DH wouldn't eat them. I think there are a lot worse things I could be eating.

Moonkissed
, that's great that you went for a walk. Don't worry about how far or how fast....you were moving. As time goes on you will be able to increase your distance and your speed. Remember the story of the Tortice and the Hare.

You dropped your A1c 3 points. Next time it will be even better. You can do this! If Rennie and I can do it, you can too!

Trish, we haven't been to KFC for ages. DH prefers boneless skinless chicken breasts and I prefer roasted over fried. When DH wants Long John Silvers I get the chicken strips as I like them better than the fish.

I hadn't been on the scale for a week and I got on this morning to a nice surprise. I am back down to 193. Before I was stuck at 194, now it's 193. But I will keep on keeping on. I have 1 week until my doctor appt and I would love to be 189 by then. That is my next short term goal. Maybe if I really watch my portions I can do it.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #7  

Shannon, I just went back and read the rest of the June chat. I'm so sorry to hear about the house...it sounded perfect! But try to be positive. There might have been a reason for all this. Also, the other contract might fall through. I don't mean to get your hopes up, but it happens on House Hunters all the time! LOL
Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #8  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonsnail View Post
Fasting does not affect the A1c value since it shows glucose control over a three month period, it does affect individual glucose readings which are more of a snapshot at a specific moment.

On my lancet 3 sometimes does not work too. One day I think it took 5 tries!! I just bought a different gauge box of needles, hoping that makes a difference.
ahh ok thanks I wasn't sure.

Congrats btw! That is fantastic. The other day I needed to take my ring off and really struggled to get it back on it broke my heart.

Wannabehealthy well actually that 11 was in 2009 & i had it all the way down to 5.9 after that So I am back up.

lol @ the forgetting the fitbit. This morning I used the mapmyrun app on my phone and the gps wasn't working right so it didnt track the distance. Luckily I knew where I walked so just came home and did it manually lol

Congrats on 193 & goodluck hitting 189!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #9  

dgramie - So glad the biopsy is done and the dr believes it will come back good.

Shannon - Sorry about the house. I believe if you are supposed to have it that the other people will find something better or if it isn’t, God does have a better place for you. Sorry about all the bad things happening right now. I pray all will go well and the Lord will give you the strength to get through it all.

Moonkissed - I didn’t go to the doctor for about a year because of financial situation, when I went back my A1c was 8.?. It is now down to 7.1 at my last testing a month ago with just diet, exercise and Metformin. As for the lancets, I’ve done the same thing that Shannon did. I bought a different size... the bluegreen ones from Walmart. You are back on track and you will do fine this time. We all have to go through learning to accept the fact that we must cope with this situation if we want to be healthy and live a long life. I think that I have finally got that in my head. LOL. At least I hope so.

Carol Sue I have decided that there are some foods that I want to include in my eating plan and I do not want to use some of the sweetners that are offered and since I’m not a big sugar eater, I am not going to worry about some of the sugar in the choices I make. I think some things have more to do with portion control. Of course, time will show if I’m right.

Rennie Hope you are having a good day.

Had lunch all planned and DH decided he wants something else. So have to change my plan, but it will be healthy and okay. I’ll just add a salad and have what I had planned for today tomorrow.

BBL
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #10  

I have used Fitday for years, but the Fitbit syncs with MFP so I decided to try it out. I guess it takes some getting used to. I know that several of you already use it so maybe you can help me out. I want to find a way to add my own recipes to it. For example, I'm making chili tonight. I saw there was a lot of listings for chili con carne with beans, but there was no way to know if their calculations were equal to my recipe. So I went to Fitday where I know how to enter all the ingredients and then divide to find out the counts for 1 cup. Is there a way I can do that on MFP? I saw where I can enter the recipe and the ingredients, but does it give the counts for each ingredient as you go along? I saw where some other people entered their own chili with a total calories per cup, but no values for fat, fiber, carbs, protein etc.

Trish, I don't use many things that are low fat or artificially sweetened. I do drink Diet Coke and when I make jello for myself I use sugar free, but I don't make that very often. When I was in the hospital the dietician told me that I could eat regular pudding because a serving of that had 15 grm of carb. This is their way of thinking, but I avoid as much sugar as I can, but I would rather just pass on pudding altogether. They gave me that because all I was getting at that time was jello and pudding on a soft food diet. Not my choice, but when that's all their giving you, you eat it. LOL
Old 07-01-2014, 03:11 PM   #11  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Wow I hadn't updated the paid and missed a whole lot, gotta get to reading before you all get too far ahead of me

Trish I like MFP but I think the count is off. I adjusted the carbs and protein to be what I want but I do think the calories should be higher. It has me at 1338. I mainly pay attention to my carb intake more than anything.

moonkissed, glad your A1c has gone done and wasn't as high as you thought. I use the same finger every day and I think the skin starts to toughen up after awhile. My lancing device is on 2. moonkissed when I first started walking I could barely walk 20 minutes and I sure couldn't do a mile to you my friend Carol Sue is right you can do this, ha you're doing it, every little bit helps. We're proof

Carol Sue, sorry about the flare up, hope the swelling goes down soon Don't you just hate that when you forget your tracker. Put it near your keys or in the bathroom. I have a pedometer that I wear now and I keep it on the bathroom sink. That's where I go first and start my day so I can snap it on. Good job on your steps, just imagine if you had it on you would have done amazing. I did my best amount of steps yesterday. I just walked in the house at a steady pace for 35 minutes and it helped with my weigh in I think. The kids thought it was funny me walking from the front door to and through the kitchen but they don't know like I know, yet . I love fudgecicles sugar free or regular, yum Carol Sue I love that story You can do this I have full faith that you are gonna watch those portions and surprise you and your doctor Carol Sue go to the FOOD tab, then on the dark blue tab click recipe, go to the right of the screen to add your recipe manually, you type in the full ingredient title name/item and compare it to make sure it's the right one. It's tedious in the beginning but you do get use to it.

Shannon that's so true, the other contract might fall through, it happens on House Hunters all the time! and also like Carol Sue and Trish said everything happens for a reason but I love the house just on what you've said

weight down 1.2 back to the 150's, 159.4, fbs was 115. Not a bad start of the month at all. My son and I have decided to do a 15lb challenge till Sept 1st. He told me he reached a new low today of 242.6 so he is coming down nicely with football. His goal is 227 and mine is 144. Our first weigh in is Monday. I need to lose 1.5lbs a week to make goal

Last edited by love2b150; 07-01-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I have used Fitday for years, but the Fitbit syncs with MFP so I decided to try it out. I guess it takes some getting used to. I know that several of you already use it so maybe you can help me out. I want to find a way to add my own recipes to it. For example, I'm making chili tonight. I saw there was a lot of listings for chili con carne with beans, but there was no way to know if their calculations were equal to my recipe. So I went to Fitday where I know how to enter all the ingredients and then divide to find out the counts for 1 cup. Is there a way I can do that on MFP? I saw where I can enter the recipe and the ingredients, but does it give the counts for each ingredient as you go along? I saw where some other people entered their own chili with a total calories per cup, but no values for fat, fiber, carbs, protein etc.

Trish, I don't use many things that are low fat or artificially sweetened. I do drink Diet Coke and when I make jello for myself I use sugar free, but I don't make that very often. When I was in the hospital the dietician told me that I could eat regular pudding because a serving of that had 15 grm of carb. This is their way of thinking, but I avoid as much sugar as I can, but I would rather just pass on pudding altogether. They gave me that because all I was getting at that time was jello and pudding on a soft food diet. Not my choice, but when that's all their giving you, you eat it. LOL
I'm sorry but I've never used the recipe builder. I have figured my own calories and put the count into it like those you mentioned.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #13  

How does MFP figure out your calories. It has me at over 1400!!

Rennie, my husband keeps telling me I'm going to lose the Fitbit. I have the One that is clip-on and he wanted me to get the one you wear on your wrist. I read a lot of reviews of people who said they lost theirs, when they were walking or running outside, which I never do, but I am wearing it all day so I do have it when I go out somewhere. I have it in my pocket. It's really tiny. It shows than you can keep it in your pocket or clipped onto your pocket, clipped onto your waistband or clipped on your bra. I can't lose it or my husband will never let me live it down! LOL

It also shows when you do stairs. So far, it hasn't shown when I go down stairs, but it showed I went up one time, but didn't register the second time. Because of my bad knee I go up and down stairs one step at a time so maybe that's why it's not registering.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #14  
~Rennie

Carol Sue I forget how it figures your calories, I think it's according to your activity level. Go to My Home tab and click on Goals, I think you enter your information there. Is 1400 too high? You know as you lose weight your calories will go down so that could be it, plus your height is a factor I think, I have an additional make shift hook thing I made for my pedometer so that when it slips up/off (like when I go to the bathroom) it will just hang not drop and be gone forever. I where sweats in the house (no pockets and I don't know that this is as fancy as the fitbit, probably not) it probably wouldn't register anything in a pocket. I so want a fitbit I am quick to lose things also. I'm gonna do my walk in here again. My son wants to go to the gym but I just don't feel like driving any where. I'm gonna walk up and down the stairs and see what this does. I never thought about it, thanks

Carol Sue, my pedometer counts steps going up also but not down.

Last edited by love2b150; 07-01-2014 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #15  
~Rennie

Default Cereal Killer - The Movie free until 7/4

have you all seen this ... I saw it posted on another thread. Haven't watched it yet but did read what's on the page. It's free until Friday 7/4

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...ers-movie.aspx
Closed Thread