Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #1  

Default I want to get healthy for this new chapter of my life.

Hi, this is my first time using this website and I have been searching for support groups but it's hard to find in this day & age. First off, my name is Regina and I'm 19 years old and I am currently in college. Not to boast, but growing up I was a great athlete. I played many contact sports and was naturally fast, muscular, and thin. I ran competitively (5:00 min mile & 2:16 800m & 18:45 for the 5k) but like many student athletes, I had to quit my sport in order to focus on earning my degree. It was bittersweet but I definitely made the right decision

Anyways, I have always been worried about my weight. I've suffered with depression lately and a huge part of overcoming it will be losing weight. I am 5'6, and about 150ish lbs. I used to always be 120. If I put my mind to it, I lose weight rather quickly. I go back to school in late August, and I truly want to change my lifestyle around/be happier. I know that losing weight won't solve all my problems, but it will help me to deal with my problems better...instead of going to food for comfort, etc. This past year I have grown in many ways. I want to start a new healthy chapter of my life leading into my 20s. These next years should be the "prime" of my life, and I do not want to be sitting on the sidelines. I know healthy eating, portion control, and exercise...however sometimes you just can't get the mindset to balance all 3. I would love for some encouragement/tips/advice/help/any users who have a similar situation or are around the same age.

Faith is a huge part in my life and I am thankful for everything I have. I also need to do this for myself because "you should never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about." My family/friends are also very supportive of helping me and understanding how hard this has been.

My goal is to lose around 30-35 pounds. I don't want to yo-yo diet or starve myself but however..eating a low amount of calories and exercise works for me. Please NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK ABOUT STARVATION MODE. I have truly read it all and those only contribute to my ANXIETY. Once I lose the weight, I will either maintain what I have been doing or slowly add calories back in.

I have been exercising and eating around 1,000-1,200 calories per day. Thanks guys
Reginakelly9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi Regina. Welcome to the forum.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #3  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi! Welcome! I think that there are plenty of weight loss options out there, I'm doing Weight Watchers and I find that to be helpful. Good luck.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/189/155

Height: 5'7"

Hello Regina, & Welcome.

Like you, I have struggled with depression. It leads to emotional eating, which I am just now getting a handle on. However, even when I was skinny, I still had to be medicated for depression and panic disorder.

I just graduated from undergrad and I am currently a graduate student. In high school, I was not an athlete, but I was always skinny. My top weight in high school was around 135, and I am 5'7". My senior year, I got very, very sick and I had to leave school. I lost an absurd amount of weight because I could not eat due to my illness. My lowest was about 98. When I finally started to feel better, everyone was stuffing me with food. I regained my weight rather quickly...and then some. I felt like I was fat at 140! But, what I wouldn't give to go back to the first time I thought I was fat. lol

Anyway, I am babbling. :P

I don't have to tell you that I have a weight problem now. This is the most I have ever weighed. I have never EVER been successful at a diet. I lost weight and went down to 150 my junior year, but I wasn't even trying. I just moved in with a roommate who was active and liked to cook That was also a very balanced time in my life. I find that if I work on my depression and anxiety and deal with those issues, a lot of the eating problems get better as a result.

I am glad to see you here. I didn't see it mentioned in your post, but have you spoken to a therapist or counselor? I know many campuses offer free therapy for students. You might want to look into that if you haven't. When you stop emotionally eating even more issues can arise that can be difficult to deal with alone. Of course, your family, friends, and the people on this board will be here for you.

Thank you for posting!
hannahbeanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Oh I have been where you are. Please don't think that your 20's need to be the "prime" of your life. They can be a time filled with angst, anxiety, uncertainty, and thinking that an extra 30 pounds means you need to "sit on the sidelines."

Go and do the things you love. Be with your friends. Be active (in a happy way with other people, not in a "i am so fat i must get to the gym" way"), turn the focus off food (whether too much or too little) and live. When your life is filled with other things, the food and weight issue will take care of itself (the only thing that is in its prime in our 20's is our metabolism.)

(Really, a letter to my younger self...)
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote