Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #1  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

Default Hello! I'm back again:)

Hello all! So I'm returning after a long (2 year) absence, though this is my first time in the 30-somethings. Figured I'd share my story and introduce myself. When I was 17, I set a goal to be comfortable in a bikini by the time I was 25. The summer I was 24, at 205 pounds and very little self-confidence, I realized I only had about 9 months before my 25 birthday, so I started kicking my butt, got myself in gear and got down to 160 and rocked that bikini all summer. Eventually I made it down to 145, but I was miserable. Not eating food I like (I DESPISE most vegetables, and that was most of my diet), and spending 2-3 hours per day in the gym ate up my entire social life. I was also in an incredibly unhealthy relationship with a man who kept convincing me that I would be happier if I was skinnier. I have since lost the man (praise!), and the self-hate, but climbed back up to 185. Now, at 179, I know I am ready to get back to my happy weight again: where I am comfortable in my own skin, my clothes not only fit, but feel good, and I am eating food that tastes good but also fuels my body.

I recently went on a retreat where I worked with a nutritionist to learn that I am addicted to sugar. When I say it to most people, they think I'm joking, but those of you out there who are also addicted, know how much trouble it can cause in your life. I just got the book "Potatoes Not Prozac" and am working my way through it in hopes to break my sugar addiction and hopefully re-construct my chemical make-up to battle the depression and negative thoughts that come with sugar addiction.

For the last two years, I've been trying to find balance in my life, and it recently hit me that the time I was most successful was when I had a strong support net of wonderful women on this forum...and so, I have returned in hopes to build new bonds and find the support I need to help me find my way, and hopefully help provide that support to others.

I look forward to our journey together
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/144/135

Height: 5'6"

Hi Amy Leigh,

Thank you for you post. How was it determined you were a sugar addict? I am an addict of all sorts - food, shopping, gambling, booze. Everything I do is in excess. I know I use my addiction (which everyone it maybe for the month) to escape.

How has the "Potatoes not Prozac" book been working for you? I have so many self help books that I believe all are now in storage.
ja2ma6lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #3  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Another sugar addict here, I totally get it! Welcome!
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #4  
finding herself

S/C/G: 241/226/175

Height: 5'7"

Welcome and thanks for sharing. May have to check out that book. I am working my way to the realization that sugar is a big problem for me. And with the long family history of diabetes. Getting control now will help in more ways than just my weight...
newbebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #5  

Height: 5'11

Welcome back! I do remember you from my active time on the forums. I am also back after needing the support that I LOVED before, and welcome to the 30s
PammyFl is offline   Reply With Quote