Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2014, 04:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Me and my back fat grrrrr

hey there. Now that I'm comfortable with my food choices and losing weight I'm still VERY unhappy with my back fat being so " noticeable". Eventhough I'm starting to get many compliments on looking "smaller" or looking well and happy I just cannot wait to shift this back fat. I'm small in height , I don't use " petite " because to me that's short AND slender. I am not blessed with a long torso or anything long for that matter , so my weight seems to sit along the back. Some women are short and heavy and their back is smooth. And I'm jealous. Others aren't smooth at all. But this area has always sucked the confidence out of my. I. ABSOLUTELY. HATE MY. BACK FAT. So with that rant over with does anyone have any suggestions of exercise that target that area? I do loads of walking at a brisk pace. And have a hiking trails in my neighborhood that I time myself and try to beat my time each time. And now just lately I'm trying to jog too. Although my stamina is crap. Lol. Keep in mind that here in rainy ole England and in the Peak District sometimes outdoor exercise just isn't happening. Thanks
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #2  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

You can't spot reduce (supposedly). Where you lose, you lose.

However, I have seen a noticeable difference in my back fat doing this Upper Body Workout a few times a week. I didn't do it for that purpose - I just wanted some sort of exercise that I could add to my workout routine that wouldn't make my legs too sore/tired to run - but I unexpectedly am experiencing the back fat change.

Also, how your bra fits matters. If it's squeezing the fat out and giving you rolls....that is not attractive. It's not just about wearing the correct size but the style also.

About running....have you looked into Couch to 5K? That program changed my life! There's a whole thread on here for people who are doing it.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Thanks for the links and app advice. I actually downloaded the couch to 5k app on iPhone last night after reading this. And today i did my first session. Was whipped after but felt great..
thanks again!!
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Adding weight training will build the muscle underneath the fat and may help the way it appears. it will also give you nice shape as the fat goes away, and, of course, it will build strong bones and keep you healthy and fit throughout the years.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I think you can buy bras that camaflauge back fat or shapewear that fits high on the back. You know....fake it til you make it. For the most part, fat comes off all over your body, but I have heard that you lose upper body fat faster than lower body fat, and some of the ladies with big hip and thighs will attest to that. The various exercises other have suggested will strengthen and tone your muscles so when you do lose the fat, your will have a nice attractive back.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

You can't spot reduce((But I think if you add exercises with weight for back exactly it will help with fat on the back for sure!
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

It's kind of funny how everyone is saying "you can't spot reduce" and then go on to say "do upper body workout." I was going to say the same thing but its funny how we still hope that we can spit reduce.

OP so you know what your overall shape is? Are you an apple, pear, hourglass etc? Where do you lose weight first? I'm an hourglass/pear and I've given up hope on reducing my thighs lol. I am just trying to make peace with how big they are and love them for what they are and what they do.

Have you tried wearing wide strapped bra? I wear bras with 4 clasps in the back, it really helps to smooth out the fat. Also be careful of your posture, poor posture makes us look at least 15lbs heavier than we really are. I've been doing training for my postural muscles and some yoga and it has helped so much with lengthening my torso and helping me appear thinner!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #8  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
It's kind of funny how everyone is saying "you can't spot reduce" and then go on to say "do upper body workout." I was going to say the same thing but its funny how we still hope that we can spit reduce.
Well, it's a situation of "this is what science says" versus "this is what happened to me." They're rarely the same thing, though some people seem to fall in line with science more so than others.

cheddahcat, I saw (and responded) to your other post about Couch to 5K. Yay! Good on you!
Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 PM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm another one who will say it... you can't spot reduce.

That being said, you can build muscle and tone by spot, and the fat that layers over that muscle will be better supported and perhaps less obvious.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #10  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Well, it's a situation of "this is what science says" versus "this is what happened to me." They're rarely the same thing, though some people seem to fall in line with science more so than others.
The reason they are rarely the same thing is because people don't know how the science works so they draw their own conclusions.

We don't know why it is raining. The gods must be angry/happy/fighting.

You can't spot reduce fat. Weight lifting can often improve the appearance of a given area.

Science is science.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #11  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
The reason they are rarely the same thing is because people don't know how the science works so they draw their own conclusions.

We don't know why it is raining. The gods must be angry/happy/fighting.

You can't spot reduce fat. Weight lifting can often improve the appearance of a given area.

Science is science.

Thank you Professor John. You can always be relied on to make things clearer. (No sarcasm implied or intended.)
Old 06-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #12  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Quoting this because I have never seen it said or explained so succinctly. Thank you.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #13  
Becoming less fleshy.

S/C/G: 195/150

Height: 5’7"

YOGA!!(i love yoga) Can be done indoors in rainy England, and uses a lot of arm and back strength to get into some of those poses! Might help
peachflesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #14  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Back fat sucks. Shapewear rocks. Losing more weight will fix the worst of it, but those with apple tendencies will always fight putting it on in their torso (I'm raising my hand, here).
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #15  

Those trouble spots can be really frustrating, but I try to get out of the habit of comparing myself to others (workin' on it!) and also of focusing on the parts of my body I dislike.

I'm at a very healthy weight now, have exercised for years, and guess what? My thighs still leave a LOT to be desired, and I'm not being overly critical. But guess what else? It doesn't really matter. I'm healthy, strong, energetic and happy. I look fine in clothes.

Being a pear, I often see "apples" that are much heavier than I but have much nicer legs. If you tend to carry more of your excess weight in your back, there are probably women looking at you and jealous that your legs look better than theirs.

We don't need to be perfect and we deserve to be happy with our healthy selves.

Last edited by KarenMI; 06-25-2014 at 05:41 PM.
KarenMI is offline   Reply With Quote