Old 06-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #1  

Default What's Your Reason For Not Using Alternatives?

Hello all,

I am just curious besides accountability what other reasons do you have for not using 100% alternative products? Obviously, alternatives are way cheaper and that is what is driving me to switch. One argument my clinic used is alternatives aren't as good in term of the quality of the protein you are getting. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have been on and off IP the past few years and have lost 80 lbs total. I have been to 3 different clinics my original clinic closed so I was transferred to another clinic then I stopped IP for a few months and when I joined again I choose to go with another clinic. The one thing I noticed with all my advisors is it sounds like they are reading right out of the book. None of them sound confident with what they are telling me and most recently my advisor told me I have to pay for BMI even though there was no mention of it during our initial meeting. Although I strongly believe in the program I am tired of dumping money into these greedy *******s pockets so I am strongly considering the switch to alternatives. The fact is in Canada the only requirement you need to run a clinic is be in a medical building and that can range for masseuse to dentist. It really is laughable. I believe in the US a doctor has to run the program but I am not 100% on that.

Sorry as I am sure you can tell I am a little bitter from my most recent experience at my clinic.
Shawnny Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #2  
Reboot: 11/28/16

S/C/G: 275/190/257.7

Height: 5'8"

Pure accountability and coaching. No other reason. If this were not a requirement for me, I would definitely do alternatives.
Rayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/174/140

Height: 5'4"

I haven't ruled out alternatives but will probably always buy some IP products because I like my coach. Right now, it's not stressing us financially and I'm doing well. If either of those change, I'll make the switch.
dangeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #4  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

You can find comparable products that work. People like the coaching advantage and the convenience of getting the products. But if I were being charged for my BMI I'd say that sounds a lot like a bunch of "BM" to me! You paid your fees and that includes the weighing and measuring.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #5  
Started IP 1/30/14

S/C/G: 281/173/165

Height: 5'5"

My reason for staying with IP products & the clinic is the medical monitoring. I have a heart condition & wouldn't even consider doing this without my doctor's supervision (she owns the clinic). I briefly entertained switching to all alternatives, but I think it is best for me to stick with her plan - she knows exactly what I'm doing & I get her full support.
Peppertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #6  
Evemomma

S/C/G: 170/132.5/130

...yeah pay for bmi? You can look that up online for free!! My coach is a really nice lady but really doesn't give me a lot of advice. To be fair, i've been really self-motivated. I stay for the chips...but am doing about 2/3 alternatives.
evemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #7  
Started IP 1/30/14

S/C/G: 281/173/165

Height: 5'5"

I should have added that I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay all those extra fees, even to have my doctor involved. I've only ever had to pay for my food - I didn't even have a fee to join. I'd have to reconsider the entire plan if I had to pay extras.
Peppertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #8  

If you have a medical condition then yes I completely support sticking with your clinic but as I mentioned in Canada most clinics are not operated by doctors. Yes Eve she charges $10 a month I realize thats pennies compared to the overall cost of the program but it still rubs me the wrong way. The machine she uses is pretty high tech and pulls information from some university (not sure which one) and she mentioned she has to pay for the service. I will admit the data I get back from the BMI is helpful (hydration levels, body fat, lean mass, etc.) but they are already making a killing off me. She is also now trying to push her other side products on me which are magnotherapy products. I seriously feel it is just about selling products and not about my health. Honestly, I can easily afford the program I am a single male with no kids and I have a good job it's just the principle of the whole thing. I have been looking at WonderSlim products and they are comparable to IP.

Last edited by Shawnny Canuck; 06-23-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

At my clinic the first two months BMI/body fat analyzer, whatever you wish to call it was free. Charged $10.00 for each month after that, but it was only an option & I have my own quite comprehensive scale that measures body fat, hydration level, & bone density so I didn't go for it after that. The coaches at my clinic were extremely knowledgeable and were willing to find the answers to questions even if they had to email head office. They were also available by text on their personal phones if clients ever had a question or needed willpower, acting sort of like a sponsor in AA.
I didn't use alternatives until after the first month, simply because I had difficulty finding a gluten free and preferably whey free protein alternative. Once I found a few alternatives, I mixed it up with my regular gluten free IP products. I never really found an restricted alternative that I could have until after P3 because they are all too high in calories and carbs. There are a couple of alternative bars I use in maintenance occasionally when I need a really quick easy emergency protein stashed in my purse. I still get IP protein packets to keep on hand for an easy trip meal when we go somewhere on short notice overnighters.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 AM   #10  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Because it is my doctors clinic, I feel awkward about leaving completely. I get a nice conversation with my weigh and measure but no coaching from the person the doc hired. They do rapt have a fancy scale. I on,y get charged for food. I can't find a good alt for the crisps and wafers. I use alts for everything else now.

I'm also worried about my confidence I transitioning to other phases, maintenance specifically, although not confident my coach will be able to help me.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 185.2/180.4/145

Height: 5'5

shawnny-canuck- I can see why you're considering alternatives. It's really just luck or living in a place with multiple clinics where you can choose a good one. I happen to like my coach, so I've worked with her and have used exclusively IP products the whole time I've been on the program. It's really unfortunate that there are such poor quality clinics out there who not only have unknowlegeable coaches, but who have charges for silly things like finding out your BMI. I hope you find something/somewhere that works for you because that clinic doesn't seem worthwhile.
KookySuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:17 PM   #12  

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I just wanted to make sure I am not making the wrong decision especially since as of this morning I am only 17 lbs away from my first goal (100 lbs lost) I have decided to go to my clinic one last time and let them know I will not be returning. I know I have the willpower to finish the journey on my own. I guess I should also mention I have all the training materials used to teach IP to new clinics (don't ask me how I got it) so I have all the correct information on the next phases and how they should be implemented. I placed an order of alternative products from Diet Direct late last night and even with international shipping and customs I am going to save over 50%.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #13  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnny Canuck View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I just wanted to make sure I am not making the wrong decision especially since as of this morning I am only 17 lbs away from my first goal (100 lbs lost) I have decided to go to my clinic one last time and let them know I will not be returning. I know I have the willpower to finish the journey on my own. I guess I should also mention I have all the training materials used to teach IP to new clinics (don't ask me how I got it) so I have all the correct information on the next phases and how they should be implemented. I placed an order of alternative products from Diet Direct late last night and even with international shipping and customs I am going to save over 50%.
Not sure where you are in Canada, but you can order proti diet here without having to pay the extra shipping. You might also get hit with customs charges and a possible delay at the border. I found two proti diet places in Ontario. One is cheaper. But I pay shipping, one a little more but free shipping if I order 11 boxes. There is info on the canadian thread.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #14  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evemomma View Post
...yeah pay for bmi? You can look that up online for free!! My coach is a really nice lady but really doesn't give me a lot of advice. To be fair, i've been really self-motivated. I stay for the chips...but am doing about 2/3 alternatives.
Oh you are a woman of my own heart! LOL This is the honest reason I went back to my coach -- I wanted the rotini, the chips, and the pre-made pudding.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #15  

I live in Calgary Chip. Thanks for the advice I will check the other thread out.