Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #1  
Started IP Alt 1/29/14

S/C/G: 234/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Default What has being overweight/unhealthy cost you?

IP has been life changing for me in so many ways. I honestly never thought I'd be on my way to being skinny and a "normal weight" ever again.

I'm afraid though that the 16 years I've been overweight I've harmed myself. I found out last month at the age of 37 I have early onset macular degeneration, ultimately I will lose the sight in the center of my eyes and will only be able to see on my periphreals. We are still in the testing phase to figure out which type I have and such and that can determine so much. My grandma has this so it is genetic but, I found out after doing some research that obesity can increase the risk as well as high cholesterol. High cholesterol runs on my mom's side but, I'm sure I didn't help with my previous eatting habits. Currently there is nothing I can do to change anything that has already been done, I think this helps me from worrying too much about it. At the same time, though genetics have played a huge role, I can't deny that I probably helped this along with being overweight. There are worse things in life than me ultimately losing my vision at least I have some kind of time to wrap my head around it and to take steps to help me when it does happen. I'm totally game for learning braille in fact, I don't read often at all but, I can't imagine never "reading" again.

What has being overweight cost you? Health? Money? Jobs? Relationship? Love to hear from others.
Johnsdeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 85/85/55

Height: 170

I am very sorry to hear about your eyes! I can understand you at least a bit because i am short-sighted. I was born with this problem and actually one of my eyes is 15% and another one 8% of 100%(( So without my contact lences and glasses i am almost blind(( I am afaid to do operation. So just suffering( That is good you do not go desperate! I send you my best wishes and admire your will power!
So what has being overweight cost me?? I guess relations with men( I am alone for long time( Also i think it damage my mental health too!! Depression is some kind of part of my life...it starts to go away with small steps...i am glad of this fact...
Gingerjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:33 PM   #3  

Hey all. Congrats on your progress JohnsDeere! You are doing amazing! Being overweight for several years before starting IP in Oct 2012 and reaching goal in Dec 2012, I was seriously depressed, had anxiety, and really felt like my life was out of control. I had no self-esteem and didn't want to go out and be the fun energetic person I was before. I was angry, sad, etc. and felt no hope. I still remember the first few days looking at the space packets as I called them and feeling like I was already a failure but I stuck it out and made it to my previous weight in high school/early college that I never dreamed of being at before. I had almost accepted that I would be fat and didn't believe a diet could change that. I look back at pics during that time and it is so clear to me that my confidence was non-existent. That is the saddest part...that several years were spent in a place that I never had to be.
eandc2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Being over weight has cost me relationships. I have dossapointed and let friends down by not showing up to weddings, showers, social gatherings. all because I was afraid of being judged or because I didn't have anything to wear.

Fortunately my health has been good. My blood pressure was slightly high but after a few days on IP it was back to normal.

I thought I was doomed to being "fat" the rest of my life. IP has given me a new lease on life.

Being overweight has also hurt my career, I don't have the self confidence to get serious about job hunting, interviewing, etc.

I am very thankful to have IP AND this forum!!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 PM   #5  
AmberLS

S/C/G: High 298, IP-250/182/165

Height: 5ft 5in

I have a serious back problem, and being over weight exacerbated that problem significantly. Losing weight isn't going to cure the problem, but it is preventing me from having surgery or possibly needing a wheel chair. Like many of you I also had terrible self esteem and got really depressed, a hundred pound pregnancy weight gain led to me gaining another 50lbs after words. I was so depressed. One of the things I've noticed its cost me is not being in photos with my family. All these memories and I'm always behind the camera. My kids and I are actually taking our first ever family photo's in August
AmberLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 PM   #6  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

I hear you on the photos. I am in none unless up I didn't know they were being taken and then I usually get rid of them. It wasn't until my sister passed and we were trying to find photos for her that I realized how important it was to everyone else no matter what I looked like.

Luckily I don't have any health issues but I always wonder how my life would be different if I hadn't always felt like the overweight one since high school. I would love to be my high school weight now! I've missed out on so many social things and friendships.

I'm hoping that I have made these changes soon enough.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #7  

90 lbs ago I was a wreck
I have chronic back problems and could hardly exert myself at all or I'd hurt my back. it is very depressing to feel so stuck.

After losing about my first 50 lbs, I started back rehab (PT). It took 9 months for me to have a pain-free day but now most of my days are pain-free. SOOOOOO worth it! I couldn't have done the PT had I not lost weight.

I can move again. Pain no longer keeps me home so I'm much more social.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

So far, a family. My husband and I have been trying for 4 years and I have been unable to fall pregnant. I am officially diagnosed with PCOS, Insulin Resistance, and Hypothyroidism and I think my weight has contributed greatly to those conditions.

I'm hoping the weight loss will help us become one of those 'miracle baby' couples without having to resort to more aggressive treatments.
Mulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #9  
AmberLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulse View Post
So far, a family. My husband and I have been trying for 4 years and I have been unable to fall pregnant. I am officially diagnosed with PCOS, Insulin Resistance, and Hypothyroidism and I think my weight has contributed greatly to those conditions.

I'm hoping the weight loss will help us become one of those 'miracle baby' couples without having to resort to more aggressive treatments.
My coach says this diet can lead to pregnancy he suggested extra precautions to avoid it. I don't really know anything about PCOS but I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 06-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 321.2/250.6/199

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberLS View Post
My coach says this diet can lead to pregnancy he suggested extra precautions to avoid it. I don't really know anything about PCOS but I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you!
I've been told the same but no luck so far. Thanks for the thoughts
Mulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #11  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the thoughts above. Being overweight has cost me:

-- being in a lot of photos with my boys. They will grow up and think their dad did all these amazing things with them and maybe not realize who was there to take the pics of it all! LOL

-- fertility ...I didn't realize the direct correlation and how every 10 lbs lost increases your fertility chances by x %. If the doctor said - Lose 30 pounds and you have a 30% more chance of having a baby, I woulda been on a treadmill or eating wasa crackers immediately LOL

-- Sexy clothes. I am the same age as Jennifer Aniston. I'm not an unattractive lady (lovely eyes, blah blah blah). But JUST ONCE I want to wear that "little black dress" because it's LITTLE, not because "black will make you look skinnier". A mumu... in whatever colour... is still a mumu.

-- varicose veinless legs and stretch marks. Now that Jennifer Aniston is pregnant maybe she does have those and has a big belly too -we're more alike than I realized after all!!
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #12  
AmberLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I agree with the thoughts above. Being overweight has cost me:

-- being in a lot of photos with my boys. They will grow up and think their dad did all these amazing things with them and maybe not realize who was there to take the pics of it all! LOL

-- fertility ...I didn't realize the direct correlation and how every 10 lbs lost increases your fertility chances by x %. If the doctor said - Lose 30 pounds and you have a 30% more chance of having a baby, I woulda been on a treadmill or eating wasa crackers immediately LOL

-- Sexy clothes. I am the same age as Jennifer Aniston. I'm not an unattractive lady (lovely eyes, blah blah blah). But JUST ONCE I want to wear that "little black dress" because it's LITTLE, not because "black will make you look skinnier". A mumu... in whatever colour... is still a mumu.

-- varicose veinless legs and stretch marks. Now that Jennifer Aniston is pregnant maybe she does have those and has a big belly too -we're more alike than I realized after all!!
I have a terrible varicose vein that has appeared since losing weight! I wonder if it was always there under the fat, it kind of makes me sad that I've worked so hard and now I have this ugly thing on my leg, its huge it starts front part of my thigh about mid way down and goes down the outside of my leg all the way to mid calf
Old 06-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #13  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Oh Amber - I think we're practically twins! LOL. I know health care costs are different in the States. If it hurts, our medical system pays for them to be removed. Mine doesn't hurt--it's just ugly--so it will be a $3000 for my vanity... So guess I'm stuck with it for now. I DO pay to get the spider veins injected with saline solution and that's $100 ish a couple of times a year. Well worth that.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #14  
AmberLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Oh Amber - I think we're practically twins! LOL. I know health care costs are different in the States. If it hurts, our medical system pays for them to be removed. Mine doesn't hurt--it's just ugly--so it will be a $3000 for my vanity... So guess I'm stuck with it for now. I DO pay to get the spider veins injected with saline solution and that's $100 ish a couple of times a year. Well worth that.
LOL I wonder if you could lie and say it hurts lol.. I don't think my insurance will cover it, they are pretty finicky about what they cover and I hear that the surgery is anywhere from 2000-5000. I guess we'll see. I've already decided that after a year of maintenance I would like to get a skin removal on my stomach if I need it, not quite sure if I'm going to yet and definitely a breast lift... no additions or subtractions just a perk... kind of as a reward for doing what I needed to do. I guess I'll have to see how the body looks after a year and decide what is most important to do for myself.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:11 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 168/162/135

Height: 5"2'

Being overweight kind of cost me my confidence. I never wanted to go swimming with my friends and I really hate most of the pictures I've shown up in over the years. It's also taken a serious toll on my energy levels which makes me think that if I had been thinner, I would have wanted to do more things. I feel like I've missed out.
Ashayne is offline   Reply With Quote