Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/162/130

Height: 5ft 5in

Default Losing weight with adrenal fatigue and hypothyroid

I got diagnosed with adrenal fatigue last summer. It was a relief to know my symptoms were not in my head but now I have a lot of work to rebuild my adrenal glands. Has anyone else had to deal with this and any tips for losing weight with adrenal fatigue.
I also am hypothyroid cause my thyroid was killed in 2004.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #2  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Tips: Go slow, and resist the urge to compare your loss rate to others who don't have the same challenges. Losing weight is a stress on the body, affecting cortisol levels and lots of other relevant things. So when you feel frustrated that you aren't losing faster, remind yourself that slow, sustainable loss is the way to go for you. I'd recommend looking up your BMR and counting calories; you may find that with your health issues, you don't burn as much as a 'normal' person. But experiment and see how your body reacts. Again, 2 lb a week losses aren't likely to happen, nor do you want them to happen. Slow and steady.

If you are still hypothyroid, you may want to look into adjusting medication levels.

Edit - One other thing - don't overdo it with strenuous exercise. Movement is good, but really intense exercise doesn't usually play well with adrenal fatigue. Walking regularly will be much kinder to yourself than trying to do an hour of cardio at the gym. (Corollary: You won't be able to burn as many calories through exercise as others, which makes your diet - and staying within whatever your calorie range is - all the more important.)

Last edited by Desiderata; 05-14-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #3  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Hi  I'm new to this so can't give any tips but adding strength training vua a BodyPump class has seemed to peak something in me, weight is coming off!

I have an cortisol deficency because my adrenal glands are not producing hormone, I'm still getting tested for a dx
I'm on Cortef 15mg a day
Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #4  
Fit before 30! 12/6/2013

S/C/G: 200ish/ticker/140

Height: 5'2"

Oooooh and PPT hyper to hypo on 25mcg synthroid, blood work to check levels on wednesday
Old 05-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriah68 View Post
I got diagnosed with adrenal fatigue last summer. It was a relief to know my symptoms were not in my head but now I have a lot of work to rebuild my adrenal glands. Has anyone else had to deal with this and any tips for losing weight with adrenal fatigue.
I also am hypothyroid cause my thyroid was killed in 2004.
Are you taking an adrenal supplement? I have all the symptoms of adrenal fatigue. I'm also hypothyroid and I take Synthroid. I'm thinking about looking at adrenal supplements when I go to the health food store this week.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 208/143/150

Height: 5'6"

Dr. Diane Schwarzbein, an endocrinoligist, writes extensively about diet & adrenal fatigue in her 2nd diet book, The Schwarzbein Principle II. You might find some helpful info there.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #7  
Hang on little root!!

S/C/G: 164/146/132

Height: 5'5"

oh this is sad... I'm sort of in the same boat. I didn't realize that I had this condition, and then I underwent an intermittent fasting regimen for a couple of weeks (I used to do this ALL THE TIME when I was younger... but it went sour this time) that exacerbated the adrenal fatigue, and made me put on MORE WEIGHT than before. I've had MORE TROUBLE trying to coordinate adrenal recovery and losing weight.

Apparently eating very clean (lots of raw veggies and steamed lean meats), and eating every 3 hours is ideal for both purposes.

It can be very difficult! Especially since a person with adrenal fatigue craves salty and sweet foods.

I am hoping to keep disciplined with my diet.

Let me know if you've had any success!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #8  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Yikes, I'm so sorry to hear that IF aggravated your adrenal issues, reanbean! I've lost 11 lbs since my last post in this thread in May down to my current ticker weight - just moderate calorie counting and occasional non-strenuous exercise, though I do think eating a paleo/primal diet has helped some. Definitely not breaking any speed records over here, but it's progress!

If you're interested, you might google the Perfect Health Diet - it's a pretty interesting, scientifically rigorous analysis of a smorgasbord of different nutritional studies. Though not specifically for adrenal issues, it's been helpful for me (and tremendously educational!) Good luck with your diet plans.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #9  
Hang on little root!!

Talking Update

So, a little bit of an update. I eat nearly the same thing every day, and after four weeks, I've lost 8 pounds, and my adrenal fatigue symptoms have been getting better. I also walk about 20 minutes or more 3-4 times per week. I ALSO go to bed before 10pm, and sleep in until 9am on the weekends.

The more I lose, the more difficult it seems. I have serious cravings, and I feel hungry sometimes, but I've found that I can cope with it. I eat often enough. My husband loves to eat fast food, pizza, and macaroni RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME... but, I've decided not to eat garbage food, highly processed carbs, or coffee.

My saving grace has been being able to eat nut butters, dark chocolate every day, and LOTS of salt! I use real salt VERY liberally, especially on my eggs and avocado.

I'm in a weight loss competition at work, so I've got a little bit more of incentive not to cheat on my diet. Come to find out, the high school wrestling coach is in the competition- NOT FAIR! Anyhow, I make 2 enormous bowls of salad two or three times a week, and they last me for a while so that I don't have to cook so often. I'm a graduate student, so I don't any ANY time to waste.

Here's what I have every day:
-2 cups of green tea throughout the day with lemon juice and apple cider vinegar; at least 2 glasses of water (I usually drink 3-4 extra large glasses)

6-9 am
Breakfast: 2 over-easy eggs, fresh broccoli and baby carrots
-4 vitamin C
-2 Magnesium
-2 B12
-Ashwagandha root
-Licorice root
(I'm waiting for Rodiola extract in the mail, and I just started taking B5 (Pantothenic acid) today)

9:30 am or skip if late breakfast
Snack: turkey or chicken meat muffin made with oats

12 pm
Lunch: 4 oz. of seasoned & steamed chicken or pork, giant salad with chopped apples, dried cranberries, walnuts, peppers, zucchini, etc., and homemade salad dressing (ginger root, fresh squeezed lemon juice, raw honey)
-Licorice root
-Ashwaganda root

2:30 pm
Snack: half of an avocado or raw nut butter (cashew, almond, peanut)

5 pm
Dinner: 4 oz. of seasoned & steamed fish, giant salad with lots of fresh veggies such as bell peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, etc. (salads vary); homemade salad dressing, and 1/3 70% cocoa dark chocolate bar!
-Multivitamin

7-8 pm
Snack: half of an avocado or raw nut butter (cashew, almond, peanut)
Old 09-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #10  
Hang on little root!!

Major update...
After reviewing my Lose it! account, I've realized that I'm consuming 200 or more calories over what the program says I should be consuming in order to lose 2 pounds a day (1100... seems way too low), and that's most likely due to the nut butters and/or avocado snacks.

I've been out of my adaptogens for two days now (Ashwagandha & licorice root), and I feel like dirt! My eyes burn and ache all day, I am extremely tired, irritable, spacy, my joints ache like crazy, and I'm not sleeping well again.

I think the adaptogens were actually what was allowing me to lose weight! I can't wait until they get here. ONE MORE DAY!
Old 10-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanbean View Post
Major update...
After reviewing my Lose it! account, I've realized that I'm consuming 200 or more calories over what the program says I should be consuming in order to lose 2 pounds a day (1100... seems way too low), and that's most likely due to the nut butters and/or avocado snacks.

I've been out of my adaptogens for two days now (Ashwagandha & licorice root), and I feel like dirt! My eyes burn and ache all day, I am extremely tired, irritable, spacy, my joints ache like crazy, and I'm not sleeping well again.

I think the adaptogens were actually what was allowing me to lose weight! I can't wait until they get here. ONE MORE DAY!

I am so glad I found your post! I have been telling my Dr. for a year now that something is wrong with my body, and I've gained 40 pounds. Try carrying a 40 pound bag of dog food around a store, and you'll know how bad this feels. Yours is the first post I've seen that details the diet you follow. I've been diagnosed with low cortisol levels, and have a 2 hour test on Monday morning to further screen for adrenal problems. I have not found the information you posted on the adaptogens...going to the store now to buy these! I have it all...the burning eyes, aching all over, tiredness, spacy, not sleeping at all. And feel horrible about myself. So going to try your way of eating, and see how that helps. Thanks so much for posting!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #12  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Scoot over girls to make room for one more in this adrenal fatigue boat. I saw a naturopathic doctor earlier this week. Going to test blood and saliva tomorrow. I'm a type 2 diabetic and hitting menopause, so the very slow weight loss was expected. But not the sleeplessness and total exhaustion!

I eat a Paleolithic diet and the doctor liked that. She liked the vitamins I'm on, but she upped my fish oil dose and added cucuramin. She's got more supplements planned after the test results come back.

See ya 'round!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #13  
Hang on little root!!

UPDATE: I think I'm cured! 5 months later, and various diets adhered to, 18 pounds down, and hopefully more to come!

Check out the full details in the mini goals forum, and ask me any questions about how I recovered and lost weight if you like! I want to post pictures once I'm at 20 lbs lost :-)
Old 02-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #14  
lpkayak

S/C/G: 287/270/200

Height: 5'3"

reanbean...congrats! you worked hard. i am new today and just looking around. i noticed you dealt with adrenal fatigue and hypo thyroid. and i saw you dealt with burning eyes.

i have many problems but recently-a few months- i have had burning eyes on and off and they water. i wondered if you know if this is from adrenal or thyroid problems-i have both...and if you figured out what to do to fix it.

i cant figure out what is causing it. thank you.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #15  
Hang on little root!!

Hi Daisy,

Yes, I do believe that the supplements helped. I'm now pregnant, so I am more tired, yet if I avoid carbs I tend to feel better. The adaptogens were great on a daily basis, but nothing beats general vitamins, because when you're lacking in a particular vitamin or mineral, it can take months to return to normal. I LOVE my prenatals! I have also incorporated some fruit, and hardcore Probiotics, but I avoid all herbal, adaptogenic, and hormonal supplements now, since they haven't been tested much on pregnant women.

Good luck
Closed Thread