General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

Question Drivers ed question: School bus and flashing lights.

So I've started online drivers ed for California. And normally I'd ask a parent about this but my dad is working till morning and my mom is on a business trip. So... I'm confused on something. I learned that when a school bus has flashing lights you stop no matter what side of the road you're on. But I can't say I've ever seen a situation like that.... or maybe I have? Can someone describe a situation like that please? I want to be a good driver but I don't quite understand that one bit.
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I realy thingk you need to look this up and confirm it for your state and area. When you google the question there is a lof of indicators that certain "rules" vary from state to state.

I live in PA and the rule is you must stop on either side "unless" it's a physically divided road (Ex: There is a barrier). Think of it this way, a child could be on EITHER side of the road and may possibly have to walk across the road to reach the bus. Your rules could likely be different though!

Definetly find out and follow whatever your state requires.
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabehot View Post
So I've started online drivers ed for California. And normally I'd ask a parent about this but my dad is working till morning and my mom is on a business trip. So... I'm confused on something. I learned that when a school bus has flashing lights you stop no matter what side of the road you're on. But I can't say I've ever seen a situation like that.... or maybe I have? Can someone describe a situation like that please? I want to be a good driver but I don't quite understand that one bit.
When a school bus is dropping off or picking up kids they flash their lights and stop. Sometimes the left side of the bus swings out a STOP sign too. Just stop your car and wait until the bus drives off again. This is to ensure the safety of the kids running to and from the bus. Not sure if this answers your question.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

And the rule only applies if it isn't a divided highway. If there is a median in the middle, you do not have to stop if you are going in the other direction.

P.S. I'm guessing someone might tell you but one thing California loves to do for the driving portion of your driver's ed test is take you to a no turn on right red light.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote