Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 176/145/130

Height: 5'4"

Default How many of you check your ketones?

Just wondering... who of you use the sticks to check for ketosis? and how often do you check?

When I check, which is every few days, I'll do it on first pee of the day... thinking that my urine will least diluted at that time...

-Teresa
Teresad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #2  
Maintenance since 6/5/10

S/C/G: 185/126/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresad View Post
Just wondering... who of you use the sticks to check for ketosis? and how often do you check?

When I check, which is every few days, I'll do it on first pee of the day... thinking that my urine will least diluted at that time...

-Teresa
Like you, I generally check every few days, always first thing in the morning. When I travel and have less control over preparing the food I eat, I tend to check daily. I'm pretty consistently right in the middle range, occasionally slightly darker or lighter for a day or two... but I haven't been out of ketosis since I started.
Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/197/160

Quote:

-Teresa
I got the ketosticks and was using them first thing in the morning as well, and then with one of my meetings with my coach--I so wanted to have a few bites of good old Idaho mash potatoes for dinner and she threw a stick at me and said that if I checked right after I ate if I ate too many it would show up. I have been wondering if that was true or just part of her nasty personality.
beyourbestinidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 176/145/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyourbestinidaho View Post
I got the ketosticks and was using them first thing in the morning as well, and then with one of my meetings with my coach--I so wanted to have a few bites of good old Idaho mash potatoes for dinner and she threw a stick at me and said that if I checked right after I ate if I ate too many it would show up. I have been wondering if that was true or just part of her nasty personality.
hey BeYourBestInIdaho - where in Idaho are you from? I grew up in Boise... and my little sis is on IP in Boise now - hope she doesn't have your same coach....

Have a great day!

-Teresa
Teresad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:21 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/197/160

Quote:
hey BeYourBestInIdaho - where in Idaho are you from? I grew up in Boise... and my little sis is on IP in Boise now - hope she doesn't have your same coach....

Have a great day!

-Teresa
I am in the Magic Valley, Southern Idaho. Between my last post and this post I was trying to get a weight ticker added so I am interested to see if it works!!!
beyourbestinidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #6  
getting back on track

S/C/G: 187/172/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyourbestinidaho View Post
I'd say nasty personality.. it could not show up immediately like that... your body has to process it LOL

I swear some people hahaha

I just started checking mine... I'm on the low end... but at least now it's showing!
deinekatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #7  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

I check every few days. I find I am always trace to moderate. I have used a glucometer (like diabetics use) to check my glycemic response to things like rutabaga, green beans and tomato. It works faster than ketones and I can see a specific response to one food if that is all I eat then test 30 min, 1 hr, and 2 hrs after I eat. I have been amazed how sensitive I am to certain foods.
showgirlaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Default how soon before you are in ketosis?

I just cheated last night
so started fresh today! Want to get the ketosis sticks to help stay on track. How many days does it take to start to show your are in ketosis?
Becca Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca Boo View Post
I just cheated last night
so started fresh today! Want to get the ketosis sticks to help stay on track. How many days does it take to start to show your are in ketosis?
The sticks are very unreliable and probably not worth the money. Are you start low carbing your body gets very used to processing the ketones and ey aren't released in your urine.

It takes around 3-5 days the get into ketosis, which is anither big way cheating sets you back, not to mention 3-5 extra days of IP products you need to get back. 3 packets per day x $4 per packet is $12 per day x 5 days... Costs $60 to get back on track!

Get back on program, and if you are sticking yo your P1 sheet, then you KNIW you are in ketosis. Don't worry about the sticks!!
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/160.1/140

Height: 5'2"

I tried using the sticks after the first week on the program to give myself time to get into ketosis. I could never get them to register more than trace and I tried every morning first thing for several weeks. After advice from the ladies here about the sticks not being very reliable, I stopped checking it. As long as you are 100% OP, you will be in ketosis.

Last edited by catlady1981; 06-11-2014 at 07:43 PM.
catlady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #11  
maintaining since 9/2013

The sticks are actually pretty reliable for many people, and useful as long as you don't obsess over them. I found them to be a great tool, and fun too. When you are on IP, you need all the entertainment you can find, lol! Sometimes the stix gave me useful feedback, too. I like all the information I can get to know what's going on. But it is another added expense, and so true that if you follow the protocol, you'll be in ketosis.

They need to be stored in a dry place, not in the bathroom, and the lid should be tight. Check expiration date. Many people have other signs of ketosis, at least that coincide with it, if not actually caused by it: cold hands and feet, dry hands were some of my signs.

The degree of ketosis doesn't matter, just whether it's positive or not.

The couple of times I've needed a quick reboot, in maintenance, they were especially nice--it was just a relief to see the stick turn pink. If they don't show a positive reading but you are losing weight, there's probably some issue like those mentioned--body is reclaiming and burning up all the ketones so none left to spill in the urine, urine too dilute, etc.

Last edited by mars735; 06-11-2014 at 11:24 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 221/174/140

I have never had a positive result, not even trace. But I'm losing weight so I just stopped checking
dangeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

I use them every now and then... I used to be obsessed with checking but I've found that when I am on plan, eating what I am supposed to eat, then I am positive and when I eat more carbs than I should then I am negative.
murphypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #14  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

I think my coach checked at my 1st week weigh-in but never after that. I just assumed if I was continuing to lose weight I was good!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/166/140

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for all the great advice! I think I will purchase them, just because I am curious. But not let it effect how I feel about my success on the plan.
Becca Boo is offline   Reply With Quote