View Single Post
Old 06-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #111
canadjineh

S/C/G: 163/134/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 50 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
I notice a lot of people are using Almond Milk lately. Are there nutritional benefits or does it just taste more appealing than cows milk. I have never tried it. I like milk, but I have allergies and milk seems to cause more mucus production and I cough more. Would Almond Milk do the same?
Regular cow's milk gives me mucous problems too, so I've used Rice milk and Almond milk. I liked the rice one, but it's very high in calories compared to the almond so I switched. I use Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk at 40 cal per 8 oz. It works fine in my gluten free pancakes and I use it for breakfast cereal. That's pretty well it unless I'm making some random 'gravy'/sauce in which case I usually go out & buy plain almond milk so there isn't a hint of vanilla. I've never used it as a drink (well, just a couple of times in the past 4 years) but then again I rarely drink anything but water and the very occasional tomato juice (and of course wine, lol), herbal & green tea & black coffee (in the AM). I don't like the soy milks as they are too cloyingly thick to me - I always drank skim when I had cow's milk because I didn't like the mouthfeel of thicker fattier ones. It's pretty easy to find non-GMO/organic soy milks though so I wouldn't worry too much if that is your issue with them.

Liana

At goal or below since March 5, 2014