General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-09-2014, 04:09 AM   #1  
Never ever giving up!

S/C/G: See ticker :)

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Finally quit smoking! But....but....but....

I started smoking almost ten years ago. Since then I have been smoking about 15-20 each day, and it has become a huge part of my identity. For the last year or so I've been thinking that I wanted to quit, while I didn't want to at the same time. I just decided to do it as I really can't afford to continue with that bad habit, and now I am going on the sixth day as a non-smoker

I do have one of those e-cigs, and things have been going surprisingly well - physically. And I already feel much, much healthier. However, I'm having some issues that I don't really know what to do about.

I am very aware of the fact that it's normal to gain some weight when quitting, and what can be done to not let it go too far. Yet, I feel like I have been stuffing my face with all kinds of snacks and candy for days now, and I haven't found the strength to stop it. Knowing that I gain easily, this puts a lot of stress on me, which leads to - guess what - stress eating. One of my worst enemies. I have been pretty active, as doing something takes my mind off smoking. But I haven't been active enough to make up for the added calories, I think.... I now feel like I am trapped in yet another evil circle that I can't seem to get out of. I need to snap out of it! I guess I need to figure out a way to distribute my will power more evenly or something.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Last edited by Em Coconut; 06-09-2014 at 04:10 AM.
Em Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

A few things that worked for me:

- eat sugar free mints
- drink tea
- drink more alcohol
- sleep more

A lot depends on what your triggers are. You need to avoid the things that trigger smoking or accept that they are triggers and just deal with the withdrawal.

I gave up using lozengers. I then got hooked on them (for three years). That's why the mints worked for me.

I will be honest and say that it will be tough for you to take on two battles at once. Trying to lose weight and give up smoking is going to be very hard.

Rather than jeopardise both, I would sequence things. Do one and then the other.

Last edited by IanG; 06-09-2014 at 10:28 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

I didn't gain a pound from quitting a few years back. As long as you don't replace ciggs for food it won't happen. It's not automatic.

Congrats on quitting.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #4  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Chewing gum helped me. Congrats on quitting-yay!!
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #5  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

The sugar cravings are a @#&*@(&$@ for the first week or two, but then it all calms down and your body gets used to not having cigarettes.

I still have my ecig around for "partying" but vaping daily was not the same as smoking, and I now only vape a few nights a month.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Try chewing gum. Cigarettes are an oral fixation. Chewing gum sort of short circuits the need to put something in your mouth.

I've also heard people say that drinking from a straw helped (simulates sucking on a cigarette) and that when they got an urge to smoke (if that happens to you) taking a really deep breath helped (because that's what you do when you smoke- you suck on the cigarette and then inhale deeply to pull the smoke into your lungs.)

I am a former smoker also- 2-1/2 packs a day for 5 years. I am smoke-free now for 21 years. Congrats to you and keep it up! You won't regret it.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #7  
Never ever giving up!

S/C/G: See ticker :)

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
A few things that worked for me:

- eat sugar free mints
- drink tea
- drink more alcohol
- sleep more

A lot depends on what your triggers are. You need to avoid the things that trigger smoking or accept that they are triggers and just deal with the withdrawal.

I gave up using lozengers. I then got hooked on them (for three years). That's why the mints worked for me.

I will be honest and say that it will be tough for you to take on two battles at once. Trying to lose weight and give up smoking is going to be very hard.

Rather than jeopardise both, I would sequence things. Do one and then the other.
Thank you for you honesty and good advice! I realize it will be tough, but I'm gonna have to give it a try as I can't really put any of them on hold now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I didn't gain a pound from quitting a few years back. As long as you don't replace ciggs for food it won't happen. It's not automatic.

Congrats on quitting.
Thank you! That's great work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddc View Post
Chewing gum helped me. Congrats on quitting-yay!!
Thank you! Chewing gum is definitely great to have in handy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
The sugar cravings are a @#&*@(&$@ for the first week or two, but then it all calms down and your body gets used to not having cigarettes.

I still have my ecig around for "partying" but vaping daily was not the same as smoking, and I now only vape a few nights a month.
Thank you, it helps to be reminded that it's only this bad for a short while. I do agree, vaping is not exactly the same. After a while it will probably be an occasional thing for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Try chewing gum. Cigarettes are an oral fixation. Chewing gum sort of short circuits the need to put something in your mouth.

I've also heard people say that drinking from a straw helped (simulates sucking on a cigarette) and that when they got an urge to smoke (if that happens to you) taking a really deep breath helped (because that's what you do when you smoke- you suck on the cigarette and then inhale deeply to pull the smoke into your lungs.)

I am a former smoker also- 2-1/2 packs a day for 5 years. I am smoke-free now for 21 years. Congrats to you and keep it up! You won't regret it.
Thank you, I can see how both the straw and the breathing might help in some cases. Makes sense!

-

Today has been much better, actually! There is a heat wave here right now and that makes my appetite for both food and cigs kinda disappear
Em Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote