General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #1  

Default Strange out of place emotions during weight loss?

Have you ever encountered out of place emotions as you lose weight??
Yesterday was a wonderful day for our family but I sat there for 2 hours being upset! lol

Do our shrinking fat cells hold emotions as well? lol
5678go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

emotions, no, but hormones, most definitely!
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Your fat cells actually hold a lot of chemicals, toxins, and hormones in them. As you lose fat, some of these hormones, including estrogen, are released. So it's totally normal to have strange emotions during weight loss with all these hormones entering your bloodstream.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #4  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

I've definitely had this problem now and then since I started losing weight.

I was literally just reading up on this, as over the past year, I've had a few occasions where I get very fatigued and lightheaded for a few days with no explainable reason (eating more hasn't helped, eating differently hasn't helped). It seems like these toxins being released into the body during fat loss can have a lot of effects on the body and hormones. Hopefully this is only temporary for both of us! Either way, I think it's worth dealing with to get to a healthy weight.

Last edited by nonameslob; 06-05-2014 at 09:59 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonameslob View Post
I've definitely had this problem now and then since I started losing weight.

I was literally just reading up on this, as over the past year, I've had a few occasions where I get very fatigued and lightheaded for a few days with no explainable reason (eating more hasn't helped, eating differently hasn't helped). It seems like these toxins being released into the body during fat loss can have a lot of effects on the body and hormones. Hopefully this is only temporary for both of us! Either way, I think it's worth dealing with to get to a healthy weight.
Really! Oh dear! I hope it doesn't happen too often.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #6  
Call me NNS!

Oh I didn't mean that to be scary! I just thought it was interesting and am trying to do some research to see if there's a way I can counteract any side effects of it (for me, fatigue!). This is all based on info. I found through an internet search and haven't been able to find many original sources yet so take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #7  

Thank you for sharing your info. What words are you searching on? I am interested in learning more about it too!
Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

nonameslob - For what it's worth, I've found that consistent exercise (even if not strenuous) and upping my B vitamins (B12 especially) has helped me with fatigue.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #9  
Call me NNS!

5678go I think I searched "toxins released during weight loss"

fadedbluejeans Thanks. The fatigue is gone so whatever it was is out of my system.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Totally. My weightloss program requires that I address my emotional eating habits. In the past everytime I felt an emotion I would eat. Eventually my body learned that emotion=hunger. That meant I had no real physical understanding of what hunger is, I had become very disconnected with my body. I'm now learning how to detect hunger and to really feel the physical aspect of hunger. That means that all those emotions I was eating away are finally present in my life. Learning how to eat this way has not been easy, hunger is a simple physical alert system, it's no different than feeling the urge to use the bathroom, being thirsty, being too cold etc. But the emotions? Those are complicated - frustration, anger, lonelines, boredome, sadness, confusion etc... I have to learn all the necessary ways in which to cope with these emotions and that's the brunt of the work. The food part has become very easy now.

I was telling a friend recently that I finally feel alive now. Not the romantic movie version of feeling alive, I'm not running through a field joyfully with the wind in my hair and singing and smelling the flowers. No, I mean ALIVE - with a daily dose of normal every day emotions. Food has never cured any of these emotions and so food is inconsequential to me now, but dang, I didn't know I could feel so many things all day long. And worst of all, I didn't know that I used to be a walking zombie, eating everything and feeling nothing.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Totally. My weightloss program requires that I address my emotional eating habits. In the past everytime I felt an emotion I would eat. Eventually my body learned that emotion=hunger. That meant I had no real physical understanding of what hunger is, I had become very disconnected with my body. I'm now learning how to detect hunger and to really feel the physical aspect of hunger. That means that all those emotions I was eating away are finally present in my life. Learning how to eat this way has not been easy, hunger is a simple physical alert system, it's no different than feeling the urge to use the bathroom, being thirsty, being too cold etc. But the emotions? Those are complicated - frustration, anger, lonelines, boredome, sadness, confusion etc... I have to learn all the necessary ways in which to cope with these emotions and that's the brunt of the work. The food part has become very easy now.

I was telling a friend recently that I finally feel alive now. Not the romantic movie version of feeling alive, I'm not running through a field joyfully with the wind in my hair and singing and smelling the flowers. No, I mean ALIVE - with a daily dose of normal every day emotions. Food has never cured any of these emotions and so food is inconsequential to me now, but dang, I didn't know I could feel so many things all day long. And worst of all, I didn't know that I used to be a walking zombie, eating everything and feeling nothing.
I just had to quote this because I totally agree 100%. I have always been an emotion represser. Back in my thinner days I guess I just didn't use food to do it. Now, I am really feeling stuff, a lot. But I really like that line above, eating everything and feeling nothing. Describes it to a T for me.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote