View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Shannonsnail
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew80k View Post
Thanks, Shannon. I've been looking into Wheat Belly and while I do believe the theory is sound, there are some issues with the study he used to "prove" it. Since I haven't read it, I can't comment on that, but since you have I wonder what you thought of the conclusions he made based on the studies.

I like sound science and do a lot of my own research (and testing on myself) and spent months researching fat loss (as opposed to weight loss) before I started a couple of years ago.

I'm considering running a four week study on myself to see what the effects are on me personally. I won't have access to the blood work, etc, but I can measure other types of results. I think I'll read both books and see what makes sense. I'm due to go to the beach for a week in a month so not sure if I should wait until after to run it. I'll have to give that some thought.

Oh, and what you are doing seems to be generating great results for you so in principal, despite your "slips", the theory seems sound.

Do you eat rice?
Hmmm, science in wheat belly book....well, honestly, I don't know. I have read alot of folks saying it is not sound. I enjoyed the book but more anecdotally (probably spelled that wrong) than scientifically. I honestly did not really put much thought into his science because overall I felt it meshed well with what I already knew. My scientific knowledge on the matter of carbs/fat comes from my 8 years working in upper level management in clinical research for a company focused on cardiovascular health, specifically lipoprotein testing and abnormalities. I reported to the founding scientist and therefore read bazillions of studies reported and was privvy to findings in quite a few not yet published. I scoffed at it when I worked there (because I struggled with what doctors had told me for years...low fat diet) but now am seeing it in my own self physically and in lab work, that the carbs are indeed the problem, not fat. I do believe though that sugar is as much at fault as wheat while the wheat belly book seems to point the finger primarily at wheat.

As far as rice goes, no I have cut it out of my diet for the most part. I ate a small amount on vacation. In general I don't eat bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, corn or added sugar (or processed sugary/carby foods) but occasionally I have an off plan day. Today, for example, we spent the day at a friend's house for a playdate. If I had woken up early (if my daughter would sleep!) I would have made myself a lunch to take but I didn't so I ate a sandwich there and cookies. That is not a usual day for me but sometimes it happens.

Start 3/25/14
Mini goals #1: Onederland! -MET! 4/11 #2: 10% loss = 189.8 -MET! 5/20 #3: Pre-pregnancy weight (173) #4 New swimsuit for beach trip in Sept.

My blog: http://shannonssliceoflife.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Shannonsnail : 06-05-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote