General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Default Concerned about safety

Hi guys, a couple of months ago I posted that I was moving to Houston for a job. Well, I finally did it, and I've been here for a while now. I've been living in a small one bedroom apartment on my own for a few weeks now, and while mine is a gated community and pretty safe, the area outside is not considered ideal to go roaming around in after dark. All in all though, I've been pretty happy here.

I hadn't really spoken to any of my neighbours, except for the occasional hello and how do you do. There are several families which makes me feel much better. But last night I had gone out to dump my garbage, when I ran into the people directly opposite my apartment, who were in the process of moving out. It was a man (about 40 or 50, I'd say) and his wife or girlfriend. He started up some small talk, so I spoke to him while they were moving their stuff. Then he randomly asked for my number to 'stay in touch' and without thinking I gave it to him. As soon as I did, he started saying that he'd like to come over to my apartment sometime to meet me, did I have a boyfriend because he knew I was living alone, etc. I kept saying I was really busy, but he was like, 'so the weekends are good, right'. Finally I just said I had to go and I went back into my apartment.

I saved his number (he gave me a missed call), and thought I just wouldn't answer if he called and he'd forget about it. But this morning when I woke up, he had sent me two messages which read, 'I wanted to say good morning. I really want to come see you at your apartment soon... ok' and 'you have such a beautiful face. I want to be your friend.. see you'.

I was (and am) seriously creeped out. I'm a young girl (25) living alone here, I don't know anyone close by, don't really have any friends here and I really don't want complications or trouble with other people. I don't know whether I'm overreacting, or whether this is just a cultural difference and it's normal for him to be saying that. I'm from Asia, where people in my country only speak to each other if needed, and excessive talking is very unwanted, so all this makes me seriously uncomfortable.

I know I shouldn't have given him my number but foolishly I did. Anyone have any ideas on how I can handle this if he keeps trying to call or send me messages? I'm doubly worried because he knows where I live.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

You are not being foolish. Call your phone service provider and ask to have his number blocked. If he manages to still phone you, change your number. With any luck, that will do it. If he comes to your door, DO NOT OPEN IT.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I completely agree. This guy is creepy and out of line. Have his number blocked.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #4  

I've blocked calls and messages from his number. Now I'm just worried about what to say if I run into him because he's still moving his stuff out, and he said that he's moving to some place close by so he'll be around here often.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

I would personally try to avoid him. If he approaches, I'd be straightforward and tell him you are not interested in friendship or anything more with him. Most likely, he will move on. If he persists and makes you feel unsafe, you could contact the police regarding your options. You could put a restraining order against him. I'm sorry to hear you are going through this.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/167/135

Height: 5'7"

You might want to mention it to management. I don't want to freak you out but if he is moving out for bad behavior this is something to add to the list. Also, management might let you switch apartments if you really feel that uncomfortable.
PatLib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #7  

Thanks, guys. I just ran into him again when I was entering my house. He stopped me and said that I hadn't replied to his messages. I was caught off guard (I thought he had moved out, but apparently he hasn't yet), and said I didn't think he was serious, to which he replied that he was, and when could he come over. To that, I said that I was sorry but I wasn't comfortable with it. He just said ok and drove off.

I hope that was the end of it, but I'm seriously thinking about getting some pepper spray just in case.

Thank you for the replies in any case. I wanted to be sure that I wasn't blowing it out of proportion.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #8  

You're a young female living in an area you describe as one you cannot go out at night. This particular incident is creepy. But if I were you I'd already be carrying mace...and actually I believe Texas allows you to carry a weapon on your person. I'm not kidding about I would apply for a firearms license, do what you need to do to learn to use one (safety classes, firing range) and carry one.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 PM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

It's creepy but it sounds like you inadvertently encouraged him by giving your number to him. Be direct and crystal clear but polite. He may think you're playing hard to get or something like that. Maybe now that you told him you aren't comfortable, he'll back off. If he doesn't, I would definitely inform the management and talk to law enforcement to see what your options are. Trust your intuition.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #10  

I'm on a nonimmigrant visa, so I don't think I can legally get a firearm.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:06 PM   #11  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Hi,

I also think that he sounds very creepy. My therapist who is a male says that it's smart for women to carry Mace. I haven't bought any yet but it's on my to buy list. Also, I think that there's no harm in making a complaint to police. You deserve the right to privacy and to be left alone by weirdos. Do you have a deadbolt lock on your door? If not consider getting one.

Take care, protect yourself.

Amy
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #12  

Height: 5'9"

It is definitely not a cultural difference. A creeper is a creeper, no matter what the culture. The best thing you can do is trust your instincts. Do not ignore your inner feelings. And most importantly, do not put yourself at risk to be polite to another person. Be careful. I hope he leaves you alone.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:59 PM   #13  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
And most importantly, do not put yourself at risk to be polite to another person.
Words to live by.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandis View Post
It is definitely not a cultural difference. A creeper is a creeper, no matter what the culture. The best thing you can do is trust your instincts. Do not ignore your inner feelings. And most importantly, do not put yourself at risk to be polite to another person. Be careful. I hope he leaves you alone.
Well said. I once saw an oprah show where they talked about intuition and how we are the only animals on the planet that go against our own intuition. We talk ourselves out of it because we're afraid we won't be perceived as nice. I don't know if it's possible to track down that show but I think this may be the article about that show. Very interesting read. http://www.oprah.com/relationships/T...ve-Your-Life/4

Basically, you're not crazy, you sense that something is not right. Don't second guess yourself.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

The answer to, "Do you have a boyfriend" is always YES if you're not interested in the person asking. If you have a hard time being direct and polite, it's an easy out. Yes, I do. Anyone bold enough to ask questions beyond that is testing your boundaries and should be avoided. The answer to, "Can I have your number" is always NO. Any reasonable man with any level of manners and respect will back off. Anyone who keeps after you is testing your boundaries.

Get yourself some pepper spray and look into some self-defense classes. You will probably never have to stab a guy in the eyeball with your key, but it might give you some peace of mind.

I'm very impressed that you directly told him you weren't interested and to stop calling. That can be very hard to do for a lot of people.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote