Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/192/120

Height: 5'2

Default Treadmill, Stationary Cycle or Rowing Machine

Hi guys. I had a question regarding the mentioned exercise machines (a treadmill, exercise bike or rowing machine) and which might be best for me. It's not only about how many calories I can burn, but other factors as well.

I'm moving to the USA for a year, and will be renting a small apartment on my own. I have this fanciful idea in my head that if I go there and diet and exercise regularly, I can come back a new person, having lost a lot of weight (I'd like to lose at least 60-80 lbs in the year) and with healthier habits. From past experience I know that while I haven't been able to sustain the habit of going regularly to the gym or for walks, I do enjoy using exercise machines indoors. Because of this, I want to buy an exercise machine when I move.

The factors I was referring to above are:

- I don't have a very high budget. I would like to find a machine in the range of approximately $200-$400
- My apartment will be small and inexpensive, and in case the walls and floor are thin, I don't want to disturb my neighbours with the noise of a machine or my thumping, so if whatever I get has to be relatively quiet
- As I mentioned, I will be living alone. I would ideally like a machine that I can lift and assemble alone
- I am about 207 lbs, so whatever I get needs to hold my weight

Based on those factors, I would like to buy a machine. If there are any machines that you guys know of that fit my criteria but I haven't mentioned, please do let me know. I am absolutely determined to burn as many calories as I can at home.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
ILoveVegetables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Ahh Nothing like moving to a new place to get the "new you" motivation going

Instead of machines that take up lots of space in your small apartment, have you thought about finding a workout dvd or routine you can do at home? There are ALL SORTS of dvd's and youtube videos for workouts to do at home! (and don't take up all of your precious floor space!) Instead of a treadmill or a stationary bike, why not find a nice route to walk or jog in your neighborhood? (Since its a new place it might make it easier to stick with!) Or, get a real bike and ride it outside! (you can get little bike stands too that can turn a regular bike into a stationary bike too, for pretty cheap! best of both worlds maybe??)

If I were in your shoes, I'd start by finding body weight exercises I could do at home, maybe pick up a couple of dumbbells and see what I could do without machines at home first (and browse kijiji or craigslist for cheap second hand machines ) I picked up a functional elliptical from kijiji for 50 bucks. Its pretty crappy, but it totally does the job.

Good luck!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #3  

I would look at neighborhood garage sales or maybe a church garage sale. The machines are way cheaper than new, and already assembled.
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:05 PM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

If you are going to be in a cheap apartment, you definitely don't want a treadmill. If you do anything more than walk, the neighbors will hear it (running is rather loud) and it may even shake the walls. My suggestion would be to get an elliptical or stationary bike. You will burn more calories faster on an elliptical than a stationary bike.

Once you come to the US, check out a website called Craigslist.com. You will likely be able to find some sort of equipment fairly cheap nearby. People put listings for all sorts of exercise equipment on there. Its also a good place to find used furniture.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #5  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

In many places, you can join a gym for about $20/month, which is within your budget if you total it for the year.

I agree the treadmill would be too loud unless you are on the ground floor, then it shouldn't really be an issue. An elliptical (I know it's not on your list, but I still suggest it) or stationary bike would probably be your best bet if you're really set on buying equipment.

Whereabouts are you moving?

Last edited by nonameslob; 04-24-2014 at 02:11 PM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #6  

Just as a tiny update from my side. I ordered a rower online and it should be arriving in a week. The reviews have said that it's quiet and has good resistance. It seems perfect for my little apartment because I don't have much space, and I have people living below me so I need it to not be loud. I've also been buying healthy food and not eating out (which I tend to do when I move to a new place), and I've already managed to drop a the couple of pounds I had gained in the last month or two.

I'm super excited about it and want to set aside at least half an hour to one hour per day on it. I'll post a little review about the product when I get it, just in case anyone else is thinking about getting it.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 PM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I use a rowing machine at the gym when I am too sore on my lower body to do a treadmill or stair machine or elliptical. It is good cardio, but doesn't do much for the lower body. It will sure work your upper parts though! Maybe the one you bought has a lower body function, too? I don't know. But there are always lunges and squats if not. Those are pretty quiet as to not disturb the neighbors. Happy exercising.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

I had a rowing machine and it had upper and lower body movements. (The seat glided along the rails as you bent and straightened your legs, while using the arm handles simultaniosly) It was good exercise, but I had a lower back problem and it made it worse, so I had to sell it. Now I use an elliptical and love it.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:34 PM   #9  

I originally wanted to get a treadmill, but it would have been too loud (you can almost hear your neighbour breathe through these walls and floors) and an elliptical was too big (honestly both of them were. I stay in a tiny studio apartment). A rower was both cheaper and quieter. I know it's not the best, but it's something, and I'm absolutely determined to make the most of it.