Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #1  

Default Too fat for Boot Camp?

So my gym offers group exercise classes, but there's not a WHOLE lot to choose from. One of the classes I could make it to is an hour long "Boot Camp"... it doesn't really give a fitness level that its appropriate for.

I am WAY out of shape... at least 80 lbs to lose. But I do prefer group exercise over getting on the machines.

Has anyone ever tried one of these classes before?

This is the description: Move quickly through this workout for a high energy, calorie burning, muscle toning, and heart strengthening workout. Equipment
includes steps, jump ropes, balls, bars, and bands to create a great, dynamic workout!
Anne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like circuit training to me. It will be tough but you should be able to rest on a rotation if it is proving too much.

Have you tried zumba? Or yoga? My wife loves these and they can be easier ways of getting into group exercise.

Another option might be to hold off on exercise until you have lost a little weight. I lost my first 60lbs (out of 115lbs) with diet alone before I hit the gym. That made the gym easier.

But exercise has proven to be essential for me to maintain muscle mass and avoid that "gaunt" look that made my previous weightloss effort so disappointing in my late teens.

Last edited by IanG; 05-29-2014 at 04:32 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:21 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Sounds like a great workout -- give it a shot you've got absolutely nothing to lose! If it proves to be excessively hard modify it as you go, or as Ian suggested, rest for a circuit if you need to! And if after taking the class you don't like it, you don't have to go back!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 05-30-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:06 AM   #4  

Sure go ahead and try it. You may like it. Go at the speed you feel comfortable with, no class requires you to keep up with the instructor, everyone slows it down when they need to. Endurance comes from being consistent, not speed.

Anyway have fun with it.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 125kg/108kg/90kg

Height: 158cm

I went to my first group fitness class 2 weeks ago and I love it! I am doing boxing, and it is great. I have a lot of weight to lose too, and I was accepted straight into the class, it depends on the class and type of exercise. But I have found it awesome for motivation!
caldawg89 is offline   Reply With Quote