Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #1  

Default Yacon Syrup: help with weight loss??

Hi, has anyone tried Yacon Syrup yet? It was discussed on the Dr. Oz program. It is a syrup made from the root of a South American plant. It is dark and thick and tastes like molasses. Some say they think it tastes like figs or raisins. To me in tastes okay. I just take a teaspoon and put it on the back of my tongue and swollow. It is suppose to help with digestion, regulate blood sugar, control appetite and cravings. Plus helps with constipation. People who tried it say they ate less. Dr. Oz did his study with 60 women over a period of 28 days. You take one tsp. before breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is also high in prebiotics and probiotics. The women who did take it did lose weight. I have not given it a real try yet, but it sounds like this could help in losing weight. Has anyone else tried it or know anyone who has?
Please------ can something help us with losing this weight? I am as high on the scale as I have ever been. At my age {62} it is getting very hard to get the lb's off. Especially when you have issues that make it almost impossible to exercise.
I bought two different brands of Yacon Syrup from Amazon.com. They tasted different from each other but not by a lot. One seems thinner and has a lemon like taste to it. I paid in the 20.00 range. You have to be sure you buy 100 % pure Yacon. No additives at all.
Gail W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:42 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One thing I'd say is not trust anything you see on Dr. Oz. Secondly, I'd say that it is most likely a placebo. If you want to use it as a sweetener, I see no reason.

There are a lot of tricks that can help control appetite and such but are you counting calories? There are a lot of good tools out there such as myfitnesspal.com where you can track your food and see if you can tweak what you are doing to lose weight.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think more people are catching on to the fact that the Dr.Oz show can't be taken seriously. If you read the disclaimer that runs at the end of his show (it goes by really fast so it's virtually impossible to read without recording and pausing) it essentially tells you that the show is "for entertainment purposes only" and something about talking to your doctor before trying any suggestions, products....

Essentially even Dr. Oz tells you not to trust Dr Oz, and if someone tells you himself that he is not trustworthy, believe him.

On the Dr. Oz show, there's no way to separate the sound advice from the quackery and nonsense, so you can't believe any of it.

Aside from which, if you tried everything that Dr.Oz presents favorably on his show, especially for weight loss, you will go broke, get sick, and lose a lot more money than weight - and you could lose something more precious than money.

Even for "natural" weight loss supplements, anything that actually works virtually always have negative, even dangerous consequences. The more effective it is, the more dangerous (though ineffective AND dangerous isn't exactly rare either).

Just because it comes from a tropical plant amd appears on Dr. Oz doesn't mean it's safe or effective. At best you get a very expensive sweetener, and at worst..... who knows? Cancer? Kidney damage? Diabetes?

W

Last edited by kaplods; 05-22-2014 at 02:07 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

I am SO glad to read that other people are "getting" the fact that Dr. Oz is basically a fraud. I think I watched his show one time and caught on to the fact of how UNKNOWLEDGEABLE and UNEDUCATED he is in nutrition. Now grant it, I'm no skinny minnie, but I know what I should be doing. I lost 100 pounds about a year and a half ago. Unfortunately, I regained the weight back because my husband decided to walk away from our 23 year marriage. I was a mess...my focus went from me to trying to get him back. Well, guess what? Never again. I now turned my focus on me. It's going to take some time to get back into the swing of things, but I'm determined NEVER to let another man get into my head like that.

I started at a gym, of all places, yesterday. Mind you...my house had it's own gym in the basement. Unfortunately my house was sold at the end of March this year. I joined a gym 6 weeks ago and have YET to walk into it...until yesterday. I was scared beyond belief because I don't feel good or confident about myself yet. But you know what? I did it...and will keep doing it for the rest of my life. No matter what.

P.S. Sorry to go off topic! :P

By the way, I never heard of that syrup before.

Last edited by JerseyPAGirl; 05-27-2014 at 10:38 AM.
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

I'm with the other posters who find Dr. Oz and the majority of his advice and recommendations suspect, however, every so often when I'm home from work I will watch and I did see the Yacon Syrup episode.

Yet another *ss quackery suggestion ! The one thing that stood out for me that all the women in his test group did lose a bit a weight, but they also repeatedly mentioned their increased bowl movements. One woman said she almost had an accident while using it! My guess is that this syrup has diuretic properties that led to increased bowl movements that led to a drop on the scale. In no way did I come away thinking that what these ladies experienced was true weight loss.

My own experience has taught me that I need to figure out the food approach/eating plan and exercise plan for me. That's the only way it's going to work. I have no faith in powders, syrups, elixirs, pills, etc. that claim to help me reach my goal faster or without sacrifice of some sort.

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 05-28-2014 at 02:36 PM.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #6  
I am more than weight.

S/C/G: Starting Weight:260/150

Height: 5'3"

I use Yacon Syrup. It has not helped with weight loss, but my diabetes has been much better.
TamTam is offline   Reply With Quote