Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #1  

Default I'm taking a vacation from my scale!

I have realized that the scale is sabotaging me...that innocent hunk of metal on my bathroom floor is controlling my mood and eating, and I'm sick of it!

When I weigh myself and don't like the number, I say "what the ****" and eat more...and gain. I'm also in a lousy mood the whole day, just because of that number. If I lose weight, I say "okay, I can afford to cheat a bit" and go off track.

I've decided for at least two weeks I'm going to stay off the scale. I'm going to continue to watch what I eat and exercise. I will not obsess over numbers. This is a test-I may fail, but maybe I can learn something, and quit setting my mood/behavior by a number on the scale. Hopefully I won't gain. Even if I maintain, that is something! I may actually lose weight.

I guess I should really go put the scale away now, so I'm not tempted to hop on. I haven't been on it since sometime last week, so far, so good!

Sherry

I could never do the whole month without weighing, but two weeks may be doable.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:37 AM   #2  
Devilish Little Thing

S/C/G: 246/ticker/145

Height: 5ft5

I am doing the same but for different reasons. Household scales can seriously muck you up. The reason they frustrate me is because I swear some days it says that I have gained 10lb in one day (or vise versa). So I only weigh myself once and week and try not to read too much into the numbers. What I like to do best is to measure myself. Measuring my waist especially, because once I see those inches disappearing that means I get to buy more clothes! Actually I thing that the weight on the scales seems less tangible to me that the actual measuring. I don't know, but for me the tape measure allows me to keep my goal in mind and not freak out so much.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #3  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Talking not a bad idea

Tossing the scale is a great idea. I only do it once a week. It can get obsessive. When I was following OA (overeaters annonymous) we were only "allowed" to weigh in once a month. My almost SIL to be...hops on like 3 times a day. That is very counterproductive.

I second Willowgirl with the measuring....and I too am doing that every couple of weeks. I am a firm believer of NSV...non scale victories. Instead of sabatoging yourself when you go off plan, think about all the NCV.; For example, that your rings feel looser, or you drank all your water today. In my book, they tell you more about your success than the scale. Besides, your scale does not reflect accurately what is really going on inside your body. Like changing your blood chemistry. For example, blood pressure, cholesteral levels, sugar levels, etc...you get the gist!

So, think about all the NSV that you have done in the last month...and post them here! I hope this helps...and Sherry, you better repost this to me, when I weigh in on Monday
Old 01-21-2004, 11:07 AM   #4  

this thread has certainly made me feel alot better since my 1 1/2 lbs. gain at weigh in last night. after weigh in i was so upset i went out and ate fast food. results can certainly show up in different places besides the scales. thanks so much ladies.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:45 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i'm all over the once a month thing now! i feel a lot less stressed... but i fear i may slack at the beginning of the month when i'm not accountable.
Closed Thread