Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 189/166/147

Height: 5'7"

Default Non bread and pasta veggie recipes

I have been tracking my food and realized I am eating entirely too much bread and pasta.

I need some ideas that are great and deviate from that routine. Beans, Tofu, Side dishes, salads etc. Thank you!
PostWeddingsmallsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #2  

Don't overthink it. Saute some onion, mushrooms and a green veg in olive oil, add herbs of choice some eggs or egg white at the end. Very filling. I love it with Tabasco dropped in on some of the bites.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Don't overthink it. Saute some onion, mushrooms and a green veg in olive oil, add herbs of choice some eggs or egg white at the end. Very filling. I love it with Tabasco dropped in on some of the bites.
Yes ideas like that. Like a Banana with PB instead of PB and J sandwiches. Simple things I can switch out so I don't eat so much bread everyday and have a bit more variety in the diet!
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I don't normally eat bread or pasta myself so I have some ideas, maybe!

Are you looking for really simple things or are you looking to create meals and reheat leftovers.

My goto simple meal is a salad (lots of veggies), with chickpeas on top. You could also make some tempeh croutons. I use store bought dressing myself (right now I use a non-dairy ranch).
This looks like an amazing recipe with tempeh croutons
http://www.tempehgirls.com/2012/09/2...mpeh-croutons/

Also, I like 'taco' salad where I use a lot of veggies and black beans, topping a salad with blackbeans and a chunky salsa.

Last night I made brown basmati rice (in my rice cooker), then made ethiopian style lentils, something similar to this although I didn't use spiced oil
http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012...e-yemiser-wet/

There are a ton of blogs out there you can use for inspiration or even check out cookbooks at your local library

Some of my favorite blogs are:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com
http://www.veganricha.com
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

i want to second nelie's ideas - it's one thing to drastically reduce bread and pasta, but quite another thing to get rid of all carbs completely. lentil, chickpea, tempeh based foods are high in protein and still have some really healthy carbs in them.

i've been experimenting with chick pea flour - there are some GREAT and simple Italian, Indian, and Middle Eastern recipes. Falafel is one, and there's an italian sort of bread-thing in which chick pea flour is soaked in water, seasoned, and then spread in a baking dish/baking sheet, baked, then cut into squares. and you can put anything you want on it - a caprese salad [tomatoes, mozzarella, basil], cold cuts, pizza toppings, whatever. check out www.ciaoitalia.com or Lidia Bastianich's recipes online

and in Indian cuisine, there are all sorts of chickpea and lentil based breads without wheat. it takes a bit of time to make, but they can be frozen.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Salad, soup, chili, stew are most of my meals - they can have pretty much anything in them and they're naturally made without bread and pasta (unless you add them in!).

My go-to soups are not low carb (some include legumes or starchy vegetables), but they don't have bread/rice/pasta/potatoes and 1 cup is perfect to satisfy me for lunch. I pretty much always have frozen cups of spicy tomato/blue cheese, white bean cheddar broccoli, carrot peanut, curry lentil, split pea, and a few others.

I like to eat sandwiches wrapped with greens as bread or cucumber subs.

I love zucchini noodles in place of pasta in any dish or sliced veggies in place of noodles for a stacked noodle dish (like lasagna).
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh yeah, collard greens make a great wrap in place of bread.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:54 AM   #8  

I love those ideas thank you!! I don't want to eliminate carbs per se but bread and pasta get boring day in day out. I just want to vary what I eat and still get the nutrients in some other form. I will totally check out those recipes!!

On another note day I was craving a Dominos bread bowl which is basically carbs on top of carbs. I took a pledge not to eat take out food due to cost and how nutrient poor those meals tend to be and so I went to my local whole foods and picked up some good cheese, veggies and mutil grain dough. Well my experiment failed in that I have a pizza stone but not a peel so the "bowl" feel part and then when it was done I didn't want the bread or the pasta and ended up just eating all the veggies which were coated in a tomato sauce and only had a little cheese on them.

So yea looks like its def time to venture out of my "comfort" zone and try new things.

I tend to over kill food. Like I found the good bread so I ate it all the time, and then I found pasta dishes so that's all I ate and then only black beans etc etc. I'm still learning the art of balance.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I wrap lots of stuff in large red cabbage leafs. I love the crunch and texture, totally works for me as a bread substitute.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 124/124/105

Hello people!
many very nice ideas here,
i have been off bread for quite a while -not pasta tho 8)- i just look for filling proteins like for example beans, boiled eggs, or try to make your salad/veggies plate full of diff things and spice it up so you can enjoy it .. i like sautee-ing mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes, rly yummy
happygirl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #11  
One Choice Smarter

S/C/G: 239.6/?/139

Height: 5'6

Oh I like the idea of red cabbage leaves! Not sure I've ever had red cabbage anything. .. hehe.

OP, in the past I've used romaine lettuce leave for wraps. Also, there are lots of delicious and easy lentil soups or stew recipes out there. Just made a new one this week with veggie stock, coconut milk, cumin and chili powder. I threw in carrots and mushrooms, came out delicious!
FutureThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #12  
maintaining since 9/2013

Yummmm, red cabbage leaves: great color, sturdy, and will add flavor!

Another wrap candidate that I love is tofu sheets, also called yuba. It's basically tofu as a thin sheet. It's has a very subtle flavor, slightly nutty. I fill with my favorite veggies & oil, sometimes thrown in nuts or avocado. It's like a salad that you can eat standing, and has a lot of protein.

Here we have a local organic, non GMO source called Hodo Soy. They are also carried in Asian markets.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #13  
Intuitive Eating & HAES

S/C/G: 290/244/175

Height: 5'4"

For pasta, try cutting zucchini and similar vegetables with a Spiralizer or a Vegetti. They work like pencil sharpeners to form vegetables into a noodle shape. (A site called Inspiralized has a lot of recipes.)

Some people make bread and pizza crust from cauliflower mixed with cheese. And there's "Protein Plus Bread," an egg-based recipe that was developed for an old Dr. Stillman's diet. Use Google to find specifics on all of the above.

Last edited by PartTimeHippie; 09-06-2014 at 09:21 PM.
PartTimeHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:39 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 210/159/135

Height: 5'1"

I second the vegetti. Also have you tried spaghetti squash? It's amazing! I would also add that quinoa is amazing. It's small like rice,tastes like a grain,but is the only complete protein. It's delicious. Or couscous. Takes water boiling plus 5 minutes to make.
atreyyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 11:00 PM   #15  
jmhwis50

S/C/G: 182/ 145/ 135

Height: 5 ft 3inches

I tend to get fancy and the other night I had Cauli "Rice". What it is I put Cauliflower through a food processor and make it into rice pieces. I then steamed it then put fried rice seasoning on it, and fried it in a pan. It was good. Also you can mash it to make mashed "Potatoes".
jmh6251 is offline   Reply With Quote