Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #1  
Optifast User

S/C/G: 265/see tracker/150

Height: 5'3.5

Default My Weight Loss Journey with Optifast and Weight Watchers - 100+ lb goal.

I am going to track my weight loss journey using OPTIFAST here.

I started Friday, April 4th. My starting weight is 265lbs, 5'3.5. Way more weight than what works on my frame. My goal is to get under 160lbs.

I will be going to Wednesday afternoon groups for weigh in. So while the first weigh in will only be for 5.5 days, I am still hopefully of a decent weight loss.

I am doing Full Fast, which for me means 5 shakes a day, no food. 800 calories total. At least 64 oz of additional fluid but no more than 128 oz, half at least has to be just water. The other half can be made up of water, any diet (zero calorie) and caffeine free drink, and up to two 8oz diet (zero calorie) caffeinated drinks such as tea, coffee, soda. No energy drinks. No alcohol. I also have an allowance of up to 50 calories a day for extras such as sugar free gum/mints etc.

I want to track my weight loss and hopefully *see* the improvements.

I am really hopeful - Day 3 and so far I feel great. If I get the urge to *chew* I found that chewing a piece of sugar free gum for a few minutes gets me through my craving.

So so excited to get to Wednesday to have my first weigh in. I am avoiding the scale at home for now otherwise I am going to want to weigh myself daily!

I am going to track my progress, any rough patches etc so hopefully it will help someone else wanting to do Optifast.

Here are my before pictures - I forgot to take pictures right as I was starting the program but here are a few of me while at my current weight (give or take a few pounds obviously). As you can see...I have been "settled" at this weight for a while

My wedding - May 2011

My friends wedding in June 2012 (I was Matron of honor) (cropped out my friend)

Me on St Patrick's day this year at work (cropped out my coworkers)

Last edited by nibog; 09-05-2014 at 11:22 AM. Reason: saw a typo and it was driving me crazy
nibog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #2  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Hi nibog! Just wanted to wish you luck with your plan and I'll be watching your progress!
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:13 AM   #3  
Optifast User

Thank you Olivia!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #5  
Optifast User

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days - has been quite busy around here!

My first weight in was Wednesday April 9th, I was down 6.2 lbs!!!!

They did tell me that the second week would probably be a small loss compared to all my other weigh ins, but to expect normal losses from week 3 and on.

So so so happy with my first weigh in!

Yesterday I was able to get a pair of jeans on that have never fit before! Before I wasn't able to get them past my thighs, yesterday they were on and fastened! Tight, yes, but ON!

I have adjusted to the shake life now, am not having to struggle like the first few days. I LOVE the vanilla powdered shake inside an 8oz black coffee with a dash of cinnamon - it is by far my favorite now. Also very good to use the chocolate powder and make a mocha coffee!

I also like using a can of diet, caffeine free orange soda and the vanilla powder - Creamsicle! Yum!

Next weigh in is this Wed the 16th....bring it on.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #6  
Optifast User

Oh and yesterday my husband and I went out to lunch with the In-laws (my first real restaurant setting since starting the program).

They ordered lunch, I had a diet coke with lemon. I didn't even take a nibble! It was in between my shake schedule so I didn't have one with me (they were however in a cooler lunchbox in the car so that I am never far from one - I always make sure I have some with me so that there is never an excuse to cheat).

I have been asked about the cost of the program - well, looking at the program, it does seem expensive. When I added up the amount I spend at Dunkin Donuts in the mornings, going out/ordering in for lunch, dining out at restaurants some nights or ordering Pizza with the hubby....wine/alcohol etc...and the fact that none of that would be happening on the Optifast program, it is really not a lot out of pocket in comparison.

In my area it is a $295 program fee (one time fee) and $100 for the psych evaluation (another one time fee) (neither covered by insurance). There is also a monthly $125 fee for the program (most are 4/5 month programs (20-22 weeks usually) and then you can continue on afterwards with out the monthly fee - in my area at least!)

Two main programs - 1) Full fast - all shakes, no food. Eventually (after 12+ weeks usually) you are weaned onto the Modified program 2) Modified - three shakes, one small serving of fruit, 1 "lean and green" meal which is 5-6oz of lean protein and three servings of a non-starchy vegetable. Eventually you are weaned onto more and more food.

Both programs have weekly meetings that you have to attend (also where you buy your shakes/bars/soups). You have access to an exercise coach, nutritionist etc.

I am doing full fast, which for my weight means 5 shakes a day - an 800 calorie diet total. Eventually I can have an Optifast Soup a day but I am not there yet. I can't have the bars until I am weaned onto Modified.

The shakes are $3.75 each premade/drink box ones, around $3 for the powdered that you shake with fluid. I have to meet weekly with the doctor (a full fast requirement, it is every two weeks for modified). My weekly co-pay is $30, the actual doctors visit is covered by my insurance.
The bars are $4 each.
The soups are $3.75 each.

If I average the costs of the shakes, weekly co-pay and monthly fee, I am spending about $770 a month on full fast. ($3.75 per shake X 5 a day X 7 days a week X 4 weeks = $525 / $30 weekly co-pay X 4 weeks = $120 / $125 monthly program fee)
Edit: for the modified fast, I am spending an average of $500 a month but also buying my own food (meat, veggies, fruit) ($3.75 per shake X 3 a day X 7 days a week X 4 weeks = $315 / $30 co-pay every other week x 2 weeks = $60 / $125 weekly program fee)
On Full fast, you can have one soup a day in place of a shake, so it would vary by a few dollars.
On Modified, you can swap a bar for a shake and a soup for a shake - so you could have 3 shakes a day / 2 shakes, 1 bar / 2 shakes, 1 soup / 1 shake, 1 bar, 1 soup - so depending on what works for you, the cost will vary by a few dollars.
End Edit

Before the program I was spending $35 a week at Dunkin Donuts ALONE. Lunch usually averaged about $10-12 a week....never mind dinner/drinks/snacks/sharing a bottle of wine at dinner or ordering a $10 martini....

When you compare what you ARE NOT paying for, paying for the program really doesn't seem as extreme.

I hope this was helpful!!!

Last edited by nibog; 08-08-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Good luck in your journey.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #8  
Alicia :)

Height: 5'2"

Good luck! Will be interesting to check in and see how you're doing! You will have lots of support here
akelly728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #9  
Optifast User

Last night was my second weigh in....down another 3.8lbs....total of 10.00 lbs!!!

I am sooooo ecstatic!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #10  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Awesome nibog! It's working!! Great loss!
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:33 AM   #11  
Optifast User

Third weigh in last night. Down another 3.3 lbs!

I am now allowed to start the soups....I can have one every other day for the first week so I picked up two chicken and one tomato. Next week I can have a soup once a day in place of a shake if I want.

Had the chicken last night and man oh man did it taste good! Might have tasted exceptionally good because it was the first non chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry thing I have had in 19 days!
Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #12  
Optifast User

I am praying that by next week I will have forever said good bye to the 250's!!!!!
Old 04-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #13  
Optifast User

Down a total of 16.00lb in 26 days!!! Officially out of the 250s forever! I have not weighed in under 250 in over 3 years!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #14  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

That's very exciting, congratulations to you!!!!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Rockstar!!!!! Big kudos in your progress so far...
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote