Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 360/289/220

Height: 6.0

Smile How is the amount of meat protein/meal packets determined

Hi everyone!

Could someone tell me how the number of protein packs and amount of meat protein is determined in Ideal protein. I have talked with two coaches and was told different amounts each time! There must be a guideline that is used. It can't be their preference. I don't live close to the IP clinic, so i am thinking about doing it my own self. I have to travel nearly an hour to get my food, but can't always get there for a formal appointment! I have been on IP now since January 13, 2014 and have lost 70 pounds so far (Yay!!!!) I would appreciate it if someone could give me the guidelines that is to be followed with regards to weight and amount of protein/meal packs needed to stay in a ketotic state! I know that not everyone has coaches, so there must be a way of knowing, for instance, at what weight do you lose a snack, or lower the number of ounces of meat protein. And also, what is the normal range of carbs that are to be consumed each day! I've looked on the threads but can't find it, even though it may be there! Thanks for your help!

Bear

Last edited by beardude; 05-20-2014 at 09:38 PM.
beardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #2  

I'm sure someone must know!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:40 AM   #3  

I suggest going to the daily chat thread. In the first post you'll find a link to Dr Tran Tein's site. Download his book and read that.

People who have coaches can ask at their clinics (getting info is part of what they pay for). Those without coaches need to spend more time researching on their own. You can also do quite a bit of research on Ketogenic diets (most aren't low fat however) and also research amount of protein required in a day, in general.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #4  

Thank you! I did look but couldn't find anything! As for asking my coach, if you read my post, you see that I asked two different coaches at the same clinic and got two completely different answers, as to how many packets/amount of meat protein to eat. That is why I was looking for help. There has to be a guideline. And at my clinic, I don't pay for anything other than my meals. I had to pay a 50 consultation fee at the beginning. I assumed, and read on this site, that most coaches get paid from the markup on the food packs. Thanks again. I will check into it!
Old 05-21-2014, 06:58 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardude View Post
Thank you! I did look but couldn't find anything! As for asking my coach, if you read my post, you see that I asked two different coaches at the same clinic and got two completely different answers, as to how many packets/amount of meat protein to eat. That is why I was looking for help. There has to be a guideline. And at my clinic, I don't pay for anything other than my meals. I had to pay a 50 consultation fee at the beginning. I assumed, and read on this site, that most coaches get paid from the markup on the food packs. Thanks again. I will check into it!
The guideline on IP is to follow the protocol.

3 packets. Each of those have approximately 15 g protein.
8 oz meat. Easy enough to look up on the internet to determine amount of protein.

Doing any research on Ketogenic diets will also inform you that too much protein can also be converted to sugars in our system (gluconeogenisis [sp?])

The best thing about IP is that you don't have to track. Just follow the plan.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:36 AM   #6  
maintaining since 9/2013

If you use myfitnesspal.com, you can enter your packets and get the breakdown of protein, carbs, fat for each packet. (It's a good way to keep a food diary too). The packets vary somewhat. You will see what the composition is. Remember, though, that regular protein foods are not absorbed as fully as IP packets.

Some clinics provide free daily videos from IP. I recall one that said on IP, net carbs are 30-40. Remember to subtract fiber grams from total carb grams to get net carbs. They also listed the protein but I can't recall the numbers. From myfitnesspal, IP chicken soup has 21 g protein; IP strawberry banana shake has 14 g protein. 8 oz boneless skinless chicken has 52 grams protein!

You might check the Alternatives thread (not IP Alternatives, but Alternatives to IP). You can order online and have them delivered. Also maybe read the Atkins and other low carb forums for ketotic diets that are based on regular food. They are very doable but of course entail more planning and prep.

Congratulations on your success!

Last edited by mars735; 05-21-2014 at 07:37 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
If you use myfitnesspal.com, you can enter your packets and get the breakdown of protein, carbs, fat for each packet. (It's a good way to keep a food diary too). The packets vary somewhat. You will see what the composition is. Remember, though, that regular protein foods are not absorbed as fully as IP packets.

Some clinics provide free daily videos from IP. I recall one that said on IP, net carbs are 30-40. Remember to subtract fiber grams from total carb grams to get net carbs. They also listed the protein but I can't recall the numbers. From myfitnesspal, IP chicken soup has 21 g protein; IP strawberry banana shake has 14 g protein. 8 oz boneless skinless chicken has 52 grams protein!

You might check the Alternatives thread (not IP Alternatives, but Alternatives to IP). You can order online and have them delivered. Also maybe read the Atkins and other low carb forums for ketotic diets that are based on regular food. They are very doable but of course entail more planning and prep.

Congratulations on your success!
Thanks so much! Great info!
Old 05-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
The guideline on IP is to follow the protocol.

3 packets. Each of those have approximately 15 g protein.
8 oz meat. Easy enough to look up on the internet to determine amount of protein.

Doing any research on Ketogenic diets will also inform you that too much protein can also be converted to sugars in our system (gluconeogenisis [sp?])

The best thing about IP is that you don't have to track. Just follow the plan.
My coach has me on breakfast and lunch (2 packs) and 3 snacks. I started out with 4 packs. On top of that I started out with 14 oz of meat protein for my dinner.

I am currently on 3 snacks plus the breakfast and lunch and 13 oz of meat, or 4 snacks and 10 oz of meat ( a little cheaper with one less snack pack). The other coach suggested I have the 3 snacks and only 10 oz of meat. Thus the confusion! I have to say that while on the 3 snacks and 13 oz of meat, I was consistently losing weight, but for the past 2 weeks I tried the 3 snacks and 10 oz and my losses have stopped for the most part. Coincidence! Maybe...I don't know! Could the 3 less ounces of protein slow or stop ketosis? Thanks for your help! This is the reason I asked the question! Getting two different answers from 2 different coaches, and seeing different results. 3 or 4 days ago I went back to the 3 snack/13 oz plan again, and the past couple days I have had super ketobreath and a metallic smell in my nose when I breath in and out! Checked my scale this morning and I'm down nearly 2 pounds!

Last edited by beardude; 05-21-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardude View Post
Thanks so much! Great info!
Just read your last post. It sounds like you are figuring it out!

Btw, I just viewed the IP video on protein. Dr. Wilkinson says an average sedentary person needs a minimum of .8 g/kg day. (For lbs, you divide you body weight in lbs over 2 to get grams protein).

Good luck to you & keep up the great work!

Last edited by mars735; 05-21-2014 at 08:07 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

I would recommend to keep following the Phase 1 sheet exactly but just use alternative products instead of IP packets. That is the easiest way to do IP without a coach. Then you don't have to count/track any of it except count your packets per day!

Shop Nashua Nutrition or other sites and use the guidelines below to select products that stay within the ranges comparable to IP packets. Since I use these guidelines to pre-select all my packets, I know each packet I use each day falls within IP specs so I don't have to track anything!

Calories - 70 to 160 (over is restricted and most people won't go above 200ish).
Fat - 30% or less calories from fat (take the number of calories from fat shown on the label and multiply it by three; result should not be over total calorie amount)
Unrestricted - 8 or less carbs net (carbs minus fibers)
Restricted - 9 to 16 net carbs
Super Restricted - 17 to 18 net carbs (1-2 per week)
Protein - 12 to 20

Last edited by JLUS; 05-21-2014 at 08:04 AM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:16 AM   #11  

Thanks Jlus!
Old 05-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #12  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

The higher your start weight, the more packages you need although I didn't think you increased the dinner protein. IP consistently says to. On intro your progress. If it's working, keep doing it until it doesn't. Then lower your protein serving or drop a packet. If a 130 person gets 8 oz at dinner and can lose weight it seems strange that a 260 lb person would get that same amount.
ChipnDip is offline   Reply With Quote