Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 01:10 PM   #1  

Default Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 4

Here is the link to the previous thread on this subject:
Alternative products that will work on Phase 1 part 3

I'd also like to repost this chart for all the newcomers switching to alternative products

I personally do a slight adjustment to this chart.
Unrestricted under 8 carbs (cals 80-160)
Restricted 8+ net carbs & under 200 cals.

However, I also keep total carbs under 40 net for the day so my restricted can't go THAT far over.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #2  
IP Start 5/2/2014

S/C/G: 143/134/125

Height: 5'4"

Hi fellow IPers....

I was at the Vitamin Shoppe today and was given a sample of "Designer Whey" protein powder. Looking at the numbers on this powder it certainly seems to qualify as a unrestricted with a nice punch of protein. It's sweetened with Stevia which is a plus in my book over Sucralose. Does anyone have any info on this product? I also when on the Designerwhey.com website and found a nice protein/electrolyte powder that seems like a nice compliment to my excercise routine. If anyone has anything to share on these products...do share.

Last edited by ideally113; 05-16-2014 at 08:30 PM. Reason: spell checks
Old 05-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #3  
Journey On

S/C/G: 240.0/240.0/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Coming back

Hi all, I just finished reading the entire 500 posts of the thread before this to refresh my memory on how to do IP with alternatives. Another birthday has come and gone, and I STILL am overweight, sigh. My forum title was supposed to mean that I would lose my excess weight by the time I turned 48; well yesterday I turned 49 and I still need to lose it (about 80 lbs).

I have started and stopped way too many times on this weight loss journey and I can't seem to put my finger on why or what keeps me from success other than my own laziness, lack of self control, however you want to phrase it. But each year I start out beating myself up seeing has how another year has gone by and nothing has changed; and I am not getting any younger, so I know it's not going to get any easier.

I will be going food shopping later today and I have my list of stuff that I will be getting. First batch of stuff will come from my grocery store, which actually has some good choices for the protein drinks. I will be stocking up on veggies and lean protein for my other foods.

I wanted to say thanks for all of you who put such effort into helping those who are seeking using alternatives for the IP products. I myself have never used anything but the alternatives due to the information I was able to find here!

TTFN
Old 05-19-2014, 08:23 AM   #4  
Journey On

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideally113 View Post
Hi fellow IPers....

I was at the Vitamin Shoppe today and was given a sample of "Designer Whey" protein powder. Looking at the numbers on this powder it certainly seems to qualify as a unrestricted with a nice punch of protein. It's sweetened with Stevia which is a plus in my book over Sucralose. Does anyone have any info on this product? I also when on the Designerwhey.com website and found a nice protein/electrolyte powder that seems like a nice compliment to my excercise routine. If anyone has anything to share on these products...do share.
I bought this when I shopped last night, based on the guidelines I read here for products that are good to use. Got the chocolate, the vanilla powder, and got some RTD French vanilla to have in my coffee. I am just starting today, and I am hoping this stuff tastes decent. The French vanilla is surprisingly good in my iced coffee this morning

~journey on~
Old 05-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #5  
Member-started IP 3/15/14

S/C/G: 273/183/160

Height: 5' 7"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how proti-thin bar-b-q chips compare in volume to IP? IP seems to have a lot (which I like for a snack). Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLT View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how proti-thin bar-b-q chips compare in volume to IP? IP seems to have a lot (which I like for a snack). Thanks!
Use the info on ht e first post to make comparisions for ALL potential alternative products. That will keep you in line with IP.

Here's a little more detail to consider:
- under 160 calories = Unrestricted (though MOST IP packets range from 90-120)
- under 200 calories = Restricted
- less than 30% cal from fat (multiply cals from fat x 3; OK if lower than total cals.)
- 8g or less NET* carbs - unrestricted (some prefer under 8)
- 9g-16g NET* carbs - restricted
- 17g NET* carbs - super restricted (only once/twice per week)
- above 17g net carbs is too high to be good for Phase 1
- at least 12-15g protein (don’t go much above 20g regularly)

* NET = Total carbs minus fiber (some people also subtract all sugar alcohols from total carbs; some subtract half; some choose to not subtract any...... sugar alcohols can affect your body similarly to sugar with spikes) Also remember NO Aspartame!
Old 05-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #7  
Member-started IP 3/15/14

S/C/G: 273/183/160

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
Use the info on ht e first post to make comparisions for ALL potential alternative products. That will keep you in line with IP.

- less than 30% cal from fat (multiply cals from fat x 3; OK if lower than total cals.)

* NET = Total carbs minus fiber (some people also subtract all sugar alcohols from total carbs; some subtract half; some choose to not subtract any...... sugar alcohols can affect your body similarly to sugar with spikes) Also remember NO Aspartame!

Thanks Laurie. I should have worded my question better but I'm trying to figure out if the serving size is the same. Example (making this up) IP has 25chips and the other has ? Just trying to figure out if they are about the same. Thanks!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #8  

Sorry... I didn't read as carefully as I should have!

I have not had Proti chips.

I LOVE the HealthSmart Protein chips in BBQ, Salt and Vinegar, Ranch and my favorite -Pizza! They gave about 15 or so chips so a little less than IP, but for half the price, I am ok with that!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #9  
IP Feb 2014, P4 Oct 15/14

S/C/G: 249/155/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Sorry... I didn't read as carefully as I should have!

I have not had Proti chips.

I LOVE the HealthSmart Protein chips in BBQ, Salt and Vinegar, Ranch and my favorite -Pizza! They gave about 15 or so chips so a little less than IP, but for half the price, I am ok with that!
Are proti thin chips restricted? I love that IP are unrestricted. Can't even bother to look at the ridges since they are restricted. Proti diet ridges are 8cqrbs since the package is smaller.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:06 AM   #10  
Journey On

Default Good Tuesday Morning!

Good morning AltPeeps! So today begins day 2. Woke up about 4 am with the most AMAZING headache of my life....blech! Was able to pop some super strength tylenol and go back to sleep till alarm time (5:30), phew the tylenol worked! Don't know if I would have made it work if that headache didn't leave! Do you think it's the IP plan doing that?

I had a really good day yesterday, and looking forward to another. I just love this group!

Talk to ya'll later when yer all awake

theresa
Old 05-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8by48 View Post
Good morning AltPeeps! So today begins day 2. Woke up about 4 am with the most AMAZING headache of my life....blech! Was able to pop some super strength tylenol and go back to sleep till alarm time (5:30), phew the tylenol worked! Don't know if I would have made it work if that headache didn't leave! Do you think it's the IP plan doing that?

I had a really good day yesterday, and looking forward to another. I just love this group!

theresa
You are starting "carb withdrawal" and headaches, body aches are typical (the ketosis flu)! Be sure you drink LOTS of water AND get in all your salt. In fact, people have great success getting rid of the headache by putting salt in the hand and licking it or adding to to water for a quick shot.

Hang in there as this will quickly pass and you will be In ketosis!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8by48 View Post

theresa
Poor thing! It passes - for me it lasted about a week and a half and then I felt amazing. It's hard, the first week or two! Go easy on yourself and don't feel bad about going to bed early!!!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/146/130

Height: 5'7

Default Longtime Lurker..New Poster

Good Morning. I have been flirting with the idea of alternative products. I have been on IP since 2/7/14 and lost 47 pounds. I finally decided to put in an order to nashua today after reading the same forum for over a month. It takes me time to take a plunge and take a chance. I ordered

Restricted:
ProtiDiet Protein Bar - Greek Yogurt Delight

Unrestricted:
ProtiDiet Protein Crisps - Chipotle
HealthSmart Pancakes - Golden Delicious
Proti-Thin Soup - Chicken Noodle
ProtiDiet Omelette - Bacon & Cheese

I didn't take advantage of the free shipping over 99 yet because I want to make sure I like them. I did use the MAY14 code for a discount. I will let you know how it tastes once I get the food.

I am nervous about this but I gotta try it. My coach said I will be on phase one until I reach 130 pounds so it's longer than I anticipated and my wallet needs a break.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/159.2/135

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProtein14 View Post
Good Morning. I have been flirting with the idea of alternative products. I have been on IP since 2/7/14 and lost 47 pounds. I finally decided to put in an order to nashua today after reading the same forum for over a month. It takes me time to take a plunge and take a chance. I ordered

Restricted:
ProtiDiet Protein Bar - Greek Yogurt Delight

Unrestricted:
ProtiDiet Protein Crisps - Chipotle
HealthSmart Pancakes - Golden Delicious
Proti-Thin Soup - Chicken Noodle
ProtiDiet Omelette - Bacon & Cheese

I didn't take advantage of the free shipping over 99 yet because I want to make sure I like them. I did use the MAY14 code for a discount. I will let you know how it tastes once I get the food.

I am nervous about this but I gotta try it. My coach said I will be on phase one until I reach 130 pounds so it's longer than I anticipated and my wallet needs a break.
You will do great! The only difference between the IP brand and alternatives is price. I actually prefer the taste of protidiet to IP brand. Good luck and try not to 2nd guess too much!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #15  
IP Start 04/29/2014

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post

Quote:

Thanks for this information. I am gaining so much useful knowledge from this forum, I love you guys!!!! I printed it and will be keeping it with me whenever shopping for alternatives. I discussed using some alternatives to supplement my cost with my Coach yesterday and he said he encourages it because he knows IP can get expensive and he doesn't want his clients to stop due to finances. I love Dr. Mike...he is AWESOME SAUCE!!!!
Closed Thread