Old 05-04-2014, 01:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 366/328/143

Height: 5'6"

Smile 300+ and in our 30s

Is there anyone else out there in the same boat as me? I am 30 years old and 308 pounds. I am on day 3 of my diet and looking for some buddies to share the journey with.

All of my friends are falling in love, getting married and having babies... I just want to get healthy and enjoy life, maybe kiss a cute boy or three.

How about you?

Let's chat
Atalanta83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/188/110

Height: 5'2

I'm almost 200 lbs. I've never had a boyfriend. How do we get into this mess?
Noriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 355.6/see ticker/199.9

Height: 5'5"

Hi all. I'm 31 and over 300 lbs. I have recommitted to weight loss and health in early March.

I am married and really want to have a baby within the next couple of years, so I am determined to get healthy and lose as much of this extra weight as I possibly can.

I will say that if you start working on a small area of your life (such as your health), it seems like everything else starts to fall into place and you may just find someone worth keeping around.

So stick with it! It can be frustrating at times, but it's worth it.
StephanieAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 AM   #4  

Hey, Stephanie, congrats on the 25 pounds. That's brilliant.

I may have worded my original post incorrectly. The kissing boys thing is a tiny part of it. Happily, I have had some success in this area in the past.

Honestly? I have no interest in getting married or having kids. I am the odd one out - it was never something I dreamed about as a kid and not something I am interested in now. If I ever considered marriage, it would be to someone who was more a 'partner in crime' who would be willing to elope with me and have adventures. No disrespect to anyone who wants marriage and kids, it just isn't me.

I just want to get healthy and actually enjoy myself. That includes, for now, kissing hot boys who wouldn't consider me at the moment.

I want to be able to go swimming again. I grew up (and still live) near Sydney's harbour and beaches and it has played a HUGE part in my life. I want to go to the beach without feeling like people think I should cover up and go away. I want to go kayaking on the harbour. I want to be able to buy clothing in normal stores. I want to go dancing all night and not see the looks on strangers faces. I want to walk past a construction site, or even down the street sometimes, without having criticism yelled at me.

I want options.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/248/158

Height: 5'7"

I'm 31 and my highest weight was 298lbs. Right now I'm about 40lbs down.

Atalanta, I'm like you in getting married and having kids isn't the top of my list (if it happens to me, that's nice, but it's not something I think about all that often).

Something that stood out to me from your post is you saying you want to go swimming again. I felt that way- and then in March I decided to suck it up and just go. And you know what? I loved it! My local pool is an open air one, so it's closed until September (I'm in NZ) so I'm waiting impatiently for it to reopen.

If you're still looking for a buddy, maybe we could challenge each other to lose enough weight by springtime that we'll be happy in our togs on the beach or in the pool?

Btw, I was just over in Sydney for Easter- you have such a beautiful city and I can see why you want to enjoy everything it has to offer. Use that as your motivation, and try to ignore rude strangers.
FerrisW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #6  

Hi FerrisW. It is nice to know that there is someone I actually have something in common with in here! Lovely to meet you.
I would love to be buddies.
Congrats on getting in the pool. I can't find any swimming costumes big enough for me, let alone get over the humiliation.
Yes, let's make it a goal. By Spring, I will be able to fit into a swimming costume and we will both get back into the pool. That is a great motivator.
Where in NZ are you? I have never been, but have a good friend living in Christchurch and am planning on a visit if I can ever manage to save the $$.
What diet are you on? I am on Lite N Easy - do they have that in NZ? It is calorie controlled, food provided. I get a delivery every Thursday with all of my meals, it is actually quite good.
I weighed myself this morning, to see if it is working, and I have lost 5kg since Sunday! I am a very happy camper right now.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #7  

I think weightloss buddies are so important for staying motivated! PM me if you want, and we can chat more, and egg each other on to do well!

This is quite a personal question, but do you mind me asking what size you wear? I only ask because Australia and NZ share a lot of shops in common, so I might be able to recommend somewhere to you. I actually swim in a tankini! Sounds crazy (even in my skinny days, I only ever wore a full swimsuit) but I find them really comfortable- I wear bikini shorts, so they cover a bit more of my thighs, and a tankini top that is ruched at the sides so is somewhat slimming.

I'm in Dunedin, which is about 4 or 5 hours south of Christchurch (which is a lovely city and you should totally visit your friend there!)

How are you enjoying the food on your plan? I don't think we have that in NZ, but I don't pay a lot of attention to meal plan type diets here. I'm calorie counting for myself, and apart from a blip in the last month (where I went completely off plan and put on about 2kg, and learnt my lesson) it's going well. Slowly but surely, which is better than not at all. Congrats on your 5kg loss! That's amazing! Go you!
Old 05-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #8  

I don't have permissions to PM just yet... I think I have to hang around and post a little longer before that happens.

I wear a size 26 in most things, but have massive boobs that pop out of most swimming costumes. In my lighter years I used to be a big fan of the Seafolly tankinis - looking forward to getting back into one of those babies. They have underwire and everything.

I am enjoying most of the meals I am getting on L&E. It isn't as good as a bacon & egg roll or a chicken schnitzel burger, but I understand that sacrifices have to be made... boo. Today for lunch I had a moroccan chicken and cous cous salad with yoghurt dressing and I actually really enjoyed it. Before this, there is NO WAY you would have seen me eating salad for lunch, even as a side. Salad just wasn't on the menu. Now, not only am I eating it, I am instagramming it.

I have bought a fitbit and started using it today, along with the app. I am hoping that it will motivate me to move around more. I am also a tech head, so having fancy gadgets to play with is fun.

My biggest thing is going to be sticking to all of these changes long term. Whenever I try and do something (fad diets, quitting smoking, etc) I always give up just before the one month mark. If I can go three months without any major cheating, I will reward myself with a day off or something. I think. I really hope I can keep this going past the initial stage.

How are you going with the calorie counting? Do you use any apps to help you with that? Myfitnesspal is great - heaps of people recommended it to me and they were right.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:45 AM   #9  

I know of someone who uses an online swimwear place called Curvy Sea to get hers (I think it's based on Oz, but ships to NZ) and has had a lot of luck with swimwear from there.

Your meals sound good! What I've found is that it definitely has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet, so if you're eating and enjoying salads, that's amazing!

What date will be one month and one day from when you started this diet? I think you should write that date down somewhere, and come on here and make a post saying you made it past one month! Because we're all cheering for you, and we all want you to continue!

Personally I've found that I have to be careful with 'rewarding myself' because I'm so used to using food as a reward! So I've had to make up some new, non-food rewards, where I stick to my diet but I get a new lipstick or something. Works pretty well at the moment!

Calorie counting works pretty well for me, for the most part. I'm the sort of person who thinks 'I can have a small bag of chips, or I can have a huge piece of chicken and some salad' and rationalises that the chicken and salad is more filling and therefore more what I want. So it's a good system for me. I use MyNetDiary, but I'm thinking of getting MFP instead/as well since I've heard such good things!
Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 AM   #10  

I started on Friday 2nd May 2014, so I guess making it to the end of May will be a milestone for me. Good idea on recording the date - I have just popped it into my phone calendar.
You are right about the reward - I probably won't do that. I need to stop looking at unhealthy food as something good. Hopefully I will reward myself with some new clothes or something. Hopefully I will need to!
MFP is working well for me. Paired with FitBit for the activities & steps etc. I find that being able to quantify what I use vs what I eat is really helpful. I haven't heard of MyNetDiary - is that the same kind of thing?
Congrats on the 40lb loss. That is awesome!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #11  

Have you thought about joining the May Day challenge in the 300+ forum? Great bunch of people, a lot of support, and weekly weigh-ins to check you're heading towards your goal!

Glad you noted down the date, so you can celebrate! What's something you enjoy that isn't food related, that you can reward yourself with? I used to treat myself to a movie, but have to be careful since movies = popcorn and fizzy drinks in my head!

MyNetDiary is just like MFP and all of the others out there. I actually just got MFP to see what all the fuss is about, and I really like it. I'm going to try it for a month and see how things go from there.

Thanks for the congrats- it sounds pretty cliche but if I can do it, anyone can. I had a pretty big setback where I lost 40 and put 20 back on, but I'm back to where I was before I hit my big slide backwards, and it's taught me a lot about myself and my willpower!
Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 PM   #12  

To be honest, I am starting to find the 300+ forum really not my kind of place. There is a lot of 'poor me', even in the tough love discussion. Also, the conversations are so disjointed - why does everyone have to reply to everyone else individually? Why not have one nice long discussion? This it the first board I've seen that does that - is it an American thing?

Ugh, anyway... Congrats on getting back to where you were. That is great news. How are you finding mfp? I just love the food database in there - it has everything! Also, being able to scan barcodes is pretty bloody handy.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #13  

Sorry to hear you're not liking the vibe of the 300+ forum- I've never come across the 'poor me' discussions myself, but it's a shame you've been put off, as there are some amazing people and discussions in there!

Getting on well with mfp. Finding it has a few more NZ based food items without me needing to scan barcodes, which is nice!

How's things going for you? I'm heading into a strict June, where I'm going to challenge myself a bit more than I have been, which should be interesting!
Old 07-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #14  
:)

S/C/G: 330/

Height: 5'5"

Hi gals.. I'm hoping some of you are still around. I need support. I am in the 300 chat thread too, but I could always use more support.. I am currently 305 pounds and starting over again. I lost 60 pounds last year and gained it back. So I am ready to do this again.
sassyangies is offline   Reply With Quote