Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default Hi!!

My hubby and I are doing this as a lifestyle change even our son who is 21 months old is eating this way I am doing my best to make sure he never ends up unhealthy. We are not eating ANY animal products, or oils. And I have to say it's only been about 2 months Im down 15lbs and feeling wonderful! If anyone wants to talk who is around the same weight you doing something similar and wants to swap recipes let me know! We will do this!
Rebecca85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

There is absolutely nothing wrong with raising your child to be vegan. But PLEASE make sure you consult with a professional about the dietary needs of a growing child being raised on a vegan diet. I am definitely not saying that you can't raise a healthy child on this type of diet, but human beings have certain dietary requirements that are harder to satisfy on this type of diet without a little planning. It is a little more difficult for adults, but even more important to make sure you get it right for your kiddo. Fat is not the enemy. Your brain requires fat to function, and many of your hormones and cell membranes and products require fatty acids for synthesis. The heart readily uses fat as fuel. Additionally, there can be the creation of vitamin and mineral deficiencies that may not be readily apparent. Remember that our species developed eating a wide variety of foods, including animals. It is absolutely possible to create an unhealthy plant based diet, just like you can with a diet with animal products in it. It is wonderful that you are changing to a healthy diet. Just make sure you are doing it in the best way possible for your family.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:06 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Your baby needs animal products i think there is a problem with your baby being vegan.

People do kilil their babies by getting them to eat highly restrictive diets.

YOU MUST CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL DIETICIAN. YOU SIMPLY MUST.

Supplements cannot replace all the vitamins adequately, and this is so much more critical in a baby. Please do not subject your baby to a vegan diet. The effects may not show for quite a long time but there will be effects.

First of all be aware that no tribal or traditional culture anywhere in the world has brought up their babies or children to be vegan. Vegetarianism with lots of dairy is fine. Your child is likely to end up with weak bones and be undersize. and no doubt have numerous other deficiencies and weaknesses.
Please don't do it.

I try to be vegetarian and i would go vegan if i could but i would never ever make a child of mine do this.

http://mums.bodyandsoul.com.au/kids+...at+riskr,12019

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_947060.html

Last edited by Pattience; 05-12-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #4  

WOW, Well thanks for judging without knowing the whole story. My son is also still breastfeeding, I consulted a dietitian, and his Doctor, Not to forget his Aunt is a pediatric nurse. He get all his needs meet. My sons fat intake is double his father's and mine he also take DHA supplements. Again his Doctors say he is perfectly healthy. SO Thanks for the "support" next time ASK me do not tell me I'm doing something wrong without knowing the whole thing. Or assuming I would do this uninformed and risk my sons health. ALSO I am currently getting my Bachelors in dietetics. I am very well informed THANK YOU.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #5  

And I can link things too.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/veg...s-for-children

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.php

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...121304534.html
Old 05-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #6  
banned

Well good for you.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #7  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

Wow I can't believe the rudeness displayed here, and not even an apology when necessary. But that's not my battle..

Rebecca I think raising a child on whole foods is the best choice you can make for your family. This will give them so much more knowledge of real food. Also learning how to grow/prepare whole foods is key to life long healthy eating. You are doing a difficult but wonderful thing for your son!!

I am in school now getting my associates in dietetics I might go for my bachelors after but I'm conquering one thing at a time here!! Hope to see you around!
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #8  

Default Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xopeaceandlovexo View Post
Wow I can't believe the rudeness displayed here, and not even an apology when necessary. But that's not my battle..

Rebecca I think raising a child on whole foods is the best choice you can make for your family. This will give them so much more knowledge of real food. Also learning how to grow/prepare whole foods is key to life long healthy eating. You are doing a difficult but wonderful thing for your son!!

I am in school now getting my associates in dietetics I might go for my bachelors after but I'm conquering one thing at a time here!! Hope to see you around!

Thank you for this. I was about to not even bother coming back to 3FC I just felt so, well un loved with this! lol We should keep in touch! Again thank you for restoring my faith!! Much love!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #9  

yes definitely

It is too easy to come off as abrasive when one is typing and sometimes we forget that!!

I am glad you came back though we can pick each others brains and spread some of our knowledge to people who could really use it!!! I have learned a lot but there is so much left to learn
Old 05-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #10  
banned

I don't believe my first post was rude. I think her reply was rude and that's what got my response.

As to being judgmental. Everyone is judgemental. People who think are not are deluding themselves.

My original post was out of concern for the baby. If you have lots of knowledgeable people who think it can be done that is good. But nothing of that kind was said in the first post to suggest this, so my assumptions are pretty standard assumption, given how many children end up in hospital or worse from diets such as these.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #11  

There are better ways to say 'Hey make sure you have thought this through' Then posting links about dieing kids! The mother in your first link (yes I did look at them) Was not feeding her child real food only breast milk at 11 months of age that is ridiculous! That link had nothing to do with the baby being vegan They starved her! I was upset that you compared me and my hopes of giving my son the very best to someone who could STARVE their child! You may not feel you did anything wrong but please if someone said and linked those things to you how would you have felt. Put your self in my shoes. OR just leave this thread if it upsets you so much.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 PM   #12  
banned

Just so we are clear. I'm not upset at all.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:54 PM   #13  
maintaining since 9/2013

Default Thin skin much?

After reading the first post, I appreciated the strong response by Pattience, who was concerned about the welfare of a child. I would be grateful, whether or not I agreed, that a stranger was willing to stick her neck out and risk offending me. Her words were strong in order to make the point. I would no way call that rude. On the contrary I would call it blunt, and kind.

Last edited by mars735; 05-17-2014 at 12:08 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #14  

Default Thick mind much?

This is my last post on this thread!!!! I like this forum.
Brandis post was concerned yet supportive. The next post was telling a mother she will kill her child based on 3 sentences. She should have asked more questions before she told someone they are practicing bad parenting, a lot of mothers would be offended!!

That is just my opinion, and I am entitled to it just like everyone else here is entitled to theirs. We will not always see eye to eye. I think the post was harsh so I wanted to reach out to the OP so she didn't think everyone was going to meet her with accusing, CAPITALIZED responses.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:51 AM   #15  
banned

Peace are you not able to actually read properly? I did not tell her she would kill her child. I said "people do" which does not mean everyone will.

Nor did i say she was practicing bad parenting. You are putting words in my mouth that i did not say. My concern was to urge her to get professional advice since she hadn't declared that she was.

She need only have said so without the big defensive kick back. I think the response i gave was completely predictable and the OP could have given more info at the outset as easily as you think i should have asked questions, given that she seems to be so aware of the issues.

I don't need to say any more here either.