View Single Post
Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #30
Wannabeskinny

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I just can't believe how caught up you are in his weight. If he were in fantastic shape and had a lame class with little movement, you would never call his abilities into question based on his shape or weight. My old spin instructor was overweight, and she was very good at spinning and helped us a lot. She taught a lot of the other fitness classes, too - including yoga and pilates, which are often considered the domain of slim people.
Perhaps I am judging because the class was not good. But what if your overweight spin instructor was not very good at spinning? What then? Maybe you wouldn't judge based on her weight but maybe you would, who knows?

Sometimes our expectations our arbitrary, like how I imagined an old chinese man to teach the class. And sometimes our expectations are logical. Life if I want someone to teach me now to sew then I am justified in assuming that the person has some experience in sewing. It's not an unrealistic expectation that someone who is teaching a physical movement class is well versed in physical movement. Tai chi may not be a sweat inducing cardio exercise but it does involve movement, range of motion, and the principle of tai chi foster longevity and good health. You gotta practice what you preach and if the teacher is using classtime to speak to us about his beer belly (his words, not mine) then naturally I will have my doubts as to whether or not he's living by those principles.

I don't doubt he loves tai chi. I don't doubt that there are many overweight fitness instructors that have endurance, strength speed, and can exhibit the principles of whatever they are teaching. No matter what one weighs or looks like or whatever their age, we have an expectation that they will perform.

“If you try to lose weight by shaming, depriving and fearing yourself, you will end up shamed, deprived, and afraid.” Geneen Roth

Last edited by Wannabeskinny : 05-16-2014 at 11:06 AM.