Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Ellipticals??

Following my Arthritic knee pain (severe) about 3 weeks ago, I switched from predominantly treadmill workout to the ellipticals. For the past 3 weeks, I have been religiously working out on the ellipticals, for about 45 min a day at intensity 7 - 8 (about 44 - 48 RPM). And the biggest news is -- I HAVEN'T LOST AN OUNCE during this period! Whereas when I worked out on treadmill for the same amount of duration (45 min day) for 3 months before, I was able to lose 30 lbs. I know my elliptical workout *was* something, because my thighs hurt, I pushed myself a lot to finish the 45 min workout session and I sweat profusely! Why has this elliptical been a waste of time despite challenging workout sessions? Anybody had similar bitter experience with ellipticals?
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Interesting. I had to switch to elliptical for the same reason, severe arthritis, I need both knees "partial" replaced. I find the elliptical to be a better work out because it doesn't hurt as bad and I don't baby myself. I bet you will start losing again
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
I bet you will start losing again
Hope that happens!..
Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNomore71 View Post
Following my Arthritic knee pain (severe) about 3 weeks ago, I switched from predominantly treadmill workout to the ellipticals. For the past 3 weeks, I have been religiously working out on the ellipticals, for about 45 min a day at intensity 7 - 8 (about 44 - 48 RPM). And the biggest news is -- I HAVEN'T LOST AN OUNCE during this period! Whereas when I worked out on treadmill for the same amount of duration (45 min day) for 3 months before, I was able to lose 30 lbs. I know my elliptical workout *was* something, because my thighs hurt, I pushed myself a lot to finish the 45 min workout session and I sweat profusely! Why has this elliptical been a waste of time despite challenging workout sessions? Anybody had similar bitter experience with ellipticals?
Hmm. Are you sure you're not over eating your workout? 45 minutes a day on an elliptical at that intensity is a lot. And a lot of that is going to require a lot of energy which you get from calories. If you're drinking energy drinks they are loaded with sugar and calories.

Remember it's calories consumed during the day versus calories burned.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-16-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #5  

kscott, it is a good advice, thank you, but I have been on a strict diet for the past 3 1/2 months and everyday I consume strictly just 1200 Cal (high quality). There is nothing I changed in my diet while I was doing ellipticals for the 3 weeks and used the same diet that helped me shed 30 lbs.

I wonder what's wrong with me doing ellipticals. Right now, I switched back to treadmill and also doing 20 min of strength training exercises each day and within the past 3 or 4 days, I've already lost 1 lb.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

I don't think it's the elliptical's fault per se. The human body becomes accustomed to a certain activity rather quickly. Perhaps it's a case of muscle memory making your workout less effective over time? We do the same movements, and we get more efficient to save energy. I vary my workouts each time I exercise, and I do a variety of machines and weightlifting exercises as well as different forms of cardio.

I also change my diet up, too. Because I eat different foods, my calorie range is a little bit higher one day, then lower the next. I am always within range, but maybe one day I will be 100 or 200 higher than the next few days. Maybe your consistence is slowing you down? It's just a thought.

One more thing. I was eating a lot less calories, and it was an entire month with no weight loss. None. Not a single pound. I upped my calories by a few hundred on Sunday, and today I finally had a drop on the scale. Finally. I don't know if it is from the increase in calories, but maybe it's something to consider. I am still in a deficit, though. Just a higher deficit. Just be careful and don't hurt yourself. And keep going. If you give up, you definitely won't lose anything.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNomore71 View Post
kscott, it is a good advice, thank you, but I have been on a strict diet for the past 3 1/2 months and everyday I consume strictly just 1200 Cal (high quality). There is nothing I changed in my diet while I was doing ellipticals for the 3 weeks and used the same diet that helped me shed 30 lbs.

I wonder what's wrong with me doing ellipticals. Right now, I switched back to treadmill and also doing 20 min of strength training exercises each day and within the past 3 or 4 days, I've already lost 1 lb.
Good idea sometimes our muscles get so accustomed to our workouts, they move out of fat burning mode. Change it up a little by using different muscles and that should get you back on track.

Definitely make certain you're eating the recommended amount of calories a day. If you don't your metabolism will slow down or go into starvation mode, no matter what you're burning a day thru exercise and it will refuse to lose an ounce. On the flip side because you put your body into starvation mode, if you started to gain weight your body remembers what you did and will store more fat, in case you try to starve it again. It's amazing how our bodies react to certain conditions.

If myfitnesspal tells me I need to eat another 100 calories, I grab an orange to make certain I get it. Myfitnesspal never wants me under 1200 calories a day.

Are you using myfitnesspal to help keep track of your calories and exercise? If you aren't it's a great easy free app that you can upload to your smart phone or computer. It will also sync with a Fitbit or jawbone up to keep track of just the normal steps you take in a day. They're great.

Last edited by Kscott; 05-16-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Kscott is offline   Reply With Quote