Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 05-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #1  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

Default Natural deodorants

Does anyone use natural deodorants instead of antiperspirants? What products would you recommend? I've tried and liked several different products but I'm interested in what works for other people.

I have to use natural deodorants for allergy reasons. Antiperspirants make my skin peel and gives me blisters. I don't know what ingredient(s) I'm allergic to but it's so much awful.

Products I've tried and liked: Nourish, Bubble & Bee Pit Putty, Miessense, Nature's Gate

Products I've tried and did not like: Jason's, Tom's of Maine, Crystal, Burt's Bees, Alba, Geodeo
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 223/146/140

Height: 5'2"

A couple of years ago I wanted to start replacing all my beauty products, lotions, and shampoos with completely all natural products, or try too.

After much trial and error...

HANDS DOWN, the BEST underarm deodorant has been a simple mixture of baking powder, cornstarch, and a few drops of essential oil. I like to use rose.
I use about 2 parts baking soda to 1 part cornstarch, or sometimes 3:1. I just eyeball it. Mix is in a little tub and use a face puff to apply.

I never smell. Swear.

And I have tried, Tom's, salt crystals, everything. They do not come close and they feel gunky. Not even regular non-natural deodorants come close to baking soda and cornstarch. Just remember the essential oil. It really is needed.

Give it try! It's incredibly cheap even if you don't like it
Earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:10 PM   #3  

Height: 5'9"

I read about mixing baking soda and coconut oil with a few drops essential oil. I am too paranoid to try it though. I really don't want to stink.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:29 PM   #4  
maintaining since 9/2013

Thanks for the recipe, Earthling!

When I was a vegetarian (not vegan), I did not need to use deodorant at all.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
A couple of years ago I wanted to start replacing all my beauty products, lotions, and shampoos with completely all natural products, or try too.

After much trial and error...

HANDS DOWN, the BEST underarm deodorant has been a simple mixture of baking powder, cornstarch, and a few drops of essential oil. I like to use rose.
I use about 2 parts baking soda to 1 part cornstarch, or sometimes 3:1. I just eyeball it. Mix is in a little tub and use a face puff to apply.

I never smell. Swear.

And I have tried, Tom's, salt crystals, everything. They do not come close and they feel gunky. Not even regular non-natural deodorants come close to baking soda and cornstarch. Just remember the essential oil. It really is needed.

Give it try! It's incredibly cheap even if you don't like it
Which essential oils do you like?
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:33 PM   #6  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
Interesting. I just might try it. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/252/135

Height: 5' 6

I use the baking soda, cornstarch, eo, and coconut oil. I'm on my second batch and never had a problem with it. Your probably aware of it but No More Dirty Looks is a green beauty blog with lots of reviews. The comment section is always filled with recs.
shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 223/146/140

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
Which essential oils do you like?
I always use Rose Absolut just because I love the smell. It is expensive, but a very small amount will do. And over 3 years i am still not through a 1 oz bottle. But any less expensive oil should do. Certainly lavender or rosemary might be nice. i would stay away from more warm, pungeunt smells like Patchouli or myrrh. Just be sure they are real "essential oils" and not "fragrance oils" which may be packaged misleadingly. Fragrance oils are mainly of an artificial in nature.
Earthling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I know you said you didn't like it but I'm so happy since I've switched to Tom's deodorant!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #10  
Unstoppable Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
I know you said you didn't like it but I'm so happy since I've switched to Tom's deodorant!
Tom's was my mainstay for years. It worked okay but then I tried some other brands and liked them much more.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #11  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

I liked to use Ammens powder.

This helps me 2 ways for chafing under my ladies, and as deodorant.
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 291/240.6/147

Height: 5'7"

I just tried two products from Lush - T'eo and Guv'ner.

T'eo is a solid. The wax on the back started to crumble pretty quickly and it was a bit sandpapery as a solid so I went ahead and crushed it as someone in the comments recommended (on the Lush website). Super itchy. Don't care for the fragrance but I am not stinky. Applying it isn't easy because it sort of crumbles. I feel like a lot of product would be wasted if you didn't crumble it in a tin and use a brush

Guv is a powder. It smells like a dude. Not for use with sleeveless or small straps as it leaves a very zombie like green tint to your underarm. I mean, if that's your thing, go for it but it looked noticeably weird. It's supposed to be sweat absorbing and I didn't notice being particularly damp. Couldn't get past the smell or itchy and it's super messy to apply. They should just sell brushes or tell you you need one (or a puff or something) because I can't imagine how you'd apply it otherwise.

I know people who just love both of these products, but after giving them each about a week, trying them in combination, and even combining with coconut oil (again, I think from the comments on the website) - I give up.

Next, I plan to try the deodorant cream from Soap Wallah on etsy. I've heard nothing but good things.
TheSecondHalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #13  
Unstoppable Force

TheSecondHalf - So sorry the Lush products were such a disappointment. I love all the stuff I've tried from there but have never tried their deodorants. Also....green?!? WTF?

I looked at the ingredient label of the Pit Putty (the product I'm currently using) and realized it's pretty much what a lot of you have been recommending here - baking soda, essential oils, etc. That makes me even more motivated to try a homemade version.

Last edited by Novus; 05-13-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 244/167/135

Height: 5'3

I use deodorant from etsy.com/shop/soap in pumpkin pie scent.

I like it a lot, I have been using it for a few years now.

You can choose from a variety of scents and it is 100% vegan and organic.
Uggla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #15  

There are many natural deodorants available in the market now. I always use natural deodorant or anti-perspirant roll-on/cream on my underarms. I don' want to use deodorants that has harmful chemicals. You can also make your own deodorant at home. It is easy and fun to do.
alexhanney08 is offline   Reply With Quote