General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW242/CW207/GW150

Height: 5'3

Default Working in a office...

I am a full time student and I work in a office. Over the summer I really want to try and workout before going into work and meal prepping. I get two 15 minute breaks which I will try walking around outside and a 30 minute lunch.

Just curious on advice to resist cravings while at work since I will be there full time all summer. It is especially difficult because we love to have parties (who doesn't!) and I get to be the lucky one (sarcasm) to set up all the food and treats!
tinamariefitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #2  

I know that feeling, my office is the same way and I'm actually in the same boat. Full time student with a part time office job but working extra hours this summer. My biggest advice is to take advantage of your breaks and go walking! When I held down a full time office job my body just couldn't handle all of that sitting (5 hours a day is even pushing it). Instead of trying to resist cravings I would just build in some room to indulge in a little bit of the treats. Also, if you're in charge, buy the small round party plates so that you can still eat a full plate without over doing it.
stunningsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:19 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I work out before work and before lunch. It will be tight for you to work out at work because your breaks are so short. So you might try working out after work instead, or just before if you do not want to do 2-a-days.

On treats, just avoid them. Go to the party. Drink (diet drinks, wine, beer). But don't eat. Or eat the healthy stuff if it is there (eggs, smoked salmon, salad). To avoid the temptation as much as you can, eat a good, healthy, filling breakfast and lunch. I find low-calorie, high protein foods such as eggs and fish particularly good at keeping me sustained throughout the day.

Last edited by IanG; 05-08-2014 at 02:21 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #4  
stop wishing, start doing

S/C/G: 215/185/155

Height: 5'7

I'm in an office too and there are weekly treats!! It is difficult to not reach for the donut when everyone else is doing it but I just think really hard...
- how bad do I want this donut?
-how much would it take to burn this off?
- I don't even LIKE donuts that much!!
-Will eating this be worth the sacrifice of going off plan?

I do this with all temptations and I usually decide Nope I don't REALLY want this, I just don't want to be deprived. But in the end you have to decide if this is something that will be worth going off your plan for, sometimes it is, most times its not.
xopeaceandlovexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I work in an office and also work out in the morning. I cook several meals on weekends so that I can grab one portion out of the freezer each day for my lunch (I do breakfast and dinner too). I don't like to HAVE to cook during the week so I try to keep the week stress down as much as possible.

At night, I pack a serving of fruit and a veggie with a dip and in the morning I put my frozen meal in with the two snacks for the day - fruit mid morning, and veggies/dip mid afternoon.

I restrict myself to just the food that I bring and just ignore the treats or parties as if they weren't happening. My food is mine, and that food isn't mine.

It's actually pretty easy when you have your day scheduled out and get into a routine.

Last edited by Munchy; 05-08-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #6  

I just don't reach for them. Once I tell myself to see what its like just to totally abstain, I find that its a lot more painless than I realized and I keep doing that for at least 1 month - a consistent "nope not eating it." Then my mind really knows that "hey its OK I can handle this." I don't think too much about HOW to avoid - just don't think too hard and just go for it. Otherwise, my mind almost makes it seem like a more strenuous thing than it has to be.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunningsparkle View Post
I know that feeling, my office is the same way and I'm actually in the same boat. Full time student with a part time office job but working extra hours this summer. My biggest advice is to take advantage of your breaks and go walking! When I held down a full time office job my body just couldn't handle all of that sitting (5 hours a day is even pushing it). Instead of trying to resist cravings I would just build in some room to indulge in a little bit of the treats. Also, if you're in charge, buy the small round party plates so that you can still eat a full plate without over doing it.

Yes that's exactly how I am with work! Part time during school, summer full time!
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I work out before work and before lunch. It will be tight for you to work out at work because your breaks are so short. So you might try working out after work instead, or just before if you do not want to do 2-a-days.

On treats, just avoid them. Go to the party. Drink (diet drinks, wine, beer). But don't eat. Or eat the healthy stuff if it is there (eggs, smoked salmon, salad). To avoid the temptation as much as you can, eat a good, healthy, filling breakfast and lunch. I find low-calorie, high protein foods such as eggs and fish particularly good at keeping me sustained throughout the day.

When you do 2 a days do you do the same or different workout routine?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #9  

Height: 5'9"

You tube has a lot of videos for home workouts that can be done in a small amount of time that don't require much more than body weight. If you really crank up the intensity, you can get your heart rate up and make yourself sore in no time.

As far as the eating thing goes, I work in a place that loves to eat more than actually work. Clients are always bringing in food, and we work next to 8 different restaurants. None of them serve health food. Somebody is always bringing something in or cooking something in our kitchen, and for the longest time, I said no to nothing. If you say yes to everything, you will weigh 5,000 pounds. I find it easier to say no to everything for a long time, and then when saying no gets really easy, saying yes is a calculated move, sometimes even difficult. You just have to decide what you want more, to eat the cookie or to not regret eating the cookie. If you have to eat the cookie, just eat the cookie, nothing else. Pick whichever treat it is, and eat only that. Don't eat one of everything. That's my history. We had a candy drawer. I ate chocolate all of the time. Not good for the waistline, the muffin top, the under arm fat, back fat, thunder thighs, etcetera. And none of it was even worth it really. I just want to be the size I was when I started there. Plan ahead, bring your own food, and enjoy the company more than the "party"(food). It gets easier as time goes along.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Explain this one. I used to pass a McDonald's on the way to work and every morning I stopped and got a breakfast sandwich, or two if they had a BOGO. Did this for 10 years. Then I switched jobs and there was no McDonalds. Why didn't I lose weight? LOL
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #11  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

If it helps, just play mind games with yourself. I always wonder who might have touched the food before I got in there. If it is homemade, I wonder if their kids might have sneezed on it, or if a cat licked it....

I know, kind of stupid. But it works.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #12  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
If it helps, just play mind games with yourself. I always wonder who might have touched the food before I got in there. If it is homemade, I wonder if their kids might have sneezed on it, or if a cat licked it....

I know, kind of stupid. But it works.
That is brilliant!!!! I'm going to remember that. Thanks!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 160/155/120

Height: 5'2"

[QUOTE=xopeaceandlovexo;5000610]- I don't even LIKE donuts that much!!
QUOTE]

exactly - that's what hurts. When i eat stuff i don't even like cause it's there. sigh. work in progress.

i need to think about this as treating myself with respect
maddierep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 227/178/140

Height: 5'6"

I work in an office too, and when we have parties I always have a little something. Usually we always have some sort of salad. But Ill always have a little treat such as a piece of candy or a half a cookie, cant always deprive yourself. Unless your office parties everyday lol. I also try to chug down a glass of water before the party so then i feel full and not as tempted to eat.
emily2585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #15  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

I recently returned back to work and have started bringing my lunch to work. I've chosen low calorie meals that I can keep in the freezer and pick from. There's a lot of different options if this is your choice and some are decently priced.

They serve lunch where I work and a lot of it sounds amazing, but there's no way for me to track my calories that way and I know their portioning isn't correct. So I've just learned to avoid it completely.

I have surprised myself with a stronger willpower than I thought I had. As far as exercise, I do very little at work. Though I'm usually up and down out of my chair and get to walk around a little bit. For the most part, I save my exercise for after work. If I had to be at work at 8am instead of 7am, I might hit the gym in the morning instead just to give myself more time at home in the evening. Maybe someday.
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote